Re: X10 R9000 as wireless bridge

81anKarlsson
Aspirant

X10 R9000 as wireless bridge

I'm new here since I recently got myself a X10 R9000. I was hoping my new router could act as a wireless bridge since I for the moment only has a 4G mobile hotspot (with short range wifi) as my primary Internet connection. I found the settings for this in the GUI but when I activate it the R9000 shuts down all its WLAN. Is that supposed to happened? Interesting thing is that the WiFi status lights stays on on the router and it looks to be on in the GUI. But it's not visible or seems to allow connections from any devices. What I want can be shorten down to: Internet < wifi > R9000 < wifi & ethernet > devices. Would DD-WRT make any difference?
Message 1 of 11

What is the 4G mobile hotspot? Is it also a router? Where do you plug it into the router?

@81anKarlsson wrote:
I was hoping my new router could act as a wireless bridge since I for the moment only has a 4G mobile hotspot (with short range wifi) as my primary Internet connection.

Do you mean you want to use the R9000 as a wireless access point?

@81anKarlsson wrote:
I found the settings for this in the GUI but when I activate it the R9000 shuts down all its WLAN.

What settings might these be?

There is a manual for the R9000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> Nighthawk X10 R9000 | AD7200 Smart WiFi Router| NETGEAR Support <<<<

See the section Use the Router as a WiFi Access Point.

If you mean you want to use it is a Wireless Distribution System, I see no evidence that the R9000 supports that mode.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 11
81anKarlsson
Aspirant

What is the 4G mobile hotspot? Is it also a router? Where do you plug it into the router?

It's a Netgear AirCard 790 (=a modem and a wireless router) and I let my X10 connect to it's 5GHz WiFi.

I would call it wireless bridge. But I might be wrong there.

I want my X10 to connect to my Internet modem, which is the AirCard. But the modem has no ethernet ports so I have to use it's wifi.

Then I want to use the X10 as what is is, a router with ethernet ports and wifi. I don't want any devices to connect directly to the AirCard, except for the X10.

What settings might these be?

Well, I put the X10 in Bridge mode Smiley Happy Then enter the credentials (SSID & password) for the AirCard 790's wifi in the "settings for wireless bridge". The X10 then connects to that wifi-network. So far it's all good. But while the X10 does that it also disable it's own wifi networks and I can only use the ethernet ports. I want to use the X10's wifi aswell as the ethernet ports, since it's a lot stronger than the AirCars's wifi and I want to be able to access my NAS connected to the X10.

My old Asus router can do this, so I was expecting this $400 router to be able to do the same.

When I read the manual I take it as it should do as I want it to. But it doesn't.

I Google Wireless bride, the result I found is what I want. But I don't achive that with my X10.

Message 3 of 11

@81anKarlsson wrote:

I would call it wireless bridge. But I might be wrong there.

Bridge mode can mean several things, with and without wifi.

Have you tried tweaking the settings on the AirCard 790S? Putting it into Pass-Through mode?

@81anKarlsson wrote:

My old Asus router can do this, so I was expecting this $400 router to be able to do the same.

Different devices have different features. That's why Netgear has such a large (and confusing) range of boxes. It always helps to work out what you need before you plonk down your cash.

Did your earlier research come up with these?

Solved: Re: Bridge mode with 802.11ad on Nighthawk x10 R90... - NETGEAR

CommunitiesSolved: Re: Bridge Nighthawk routers: x8 r8500 to x10 r900... - NETGEAR Communities

Solved: Re: Can the R9000 operate in bridged mode in the 6... - NETGEAR Communities

There are more where they come from.

It seems that it depends on the settings on the AirCard 790.

You could also sniff around here:

Mobile Routers, Hotspots & Modems - NETGEAR Communities

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 11
81anKarlsson
Aspirant

Sure I researched before I bought it. I knew exactly what I wanted but I found absolutely nothing about wireless bridge that wasn’t very fuzzy and could be read several ways. As you said, wireless bridge obviously mean different things depending on who you ask.

Even the on-board help in the router is quite fuzzy. When I read there I understand it as it is supposed to works as I want it to. But it doesn't!

The AirCard can only be put in bridge-mode together with a specific docking station it seems.
I’ve looked through the settings in the AirCard but doesn’t find anything that bright things up.

But I don’t see how this could be depending on the AirCard. I can get the connection between the AirCard and the X10 router to work as wanted. So the bridge itself works. The problem is with the X10. Why does the X10 hide it’s 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz network when in bridge mode!? When I look in the GUI it looks as the wifi is active, but my devices can not see it, nor connect to it. The lights are on on the router aswell. I have no 60Ghz device, so I can’t tell if that works or not.

Appreciate you trying to help!

Message 5 of 11
schumaku
Guru

A wireless bridge does connect two wired networks over a wireless channel. What is bridge mode and how do I set it up on my NETGEAR router? The feature is available on selected models only.

Similar, few models can be configured as a wireless repeater, permitting to link up with some generic wireless routers/AP over the air and serve as a AP at the same time. How do I configure my Nighthawk router as a wireless repeater? Again, this feature is available on selected models only.

Of course one could think about whatever mixed configuration possibilities on devices with multiple radios - but then this is ways beyond for consumer devices. Netgear Wireless Extenders have some more advanced capabilities for this purpose.

Message 6 of 11

@schumaku wrote:
Of course one could think about whatever mixed configuration possibilities on devices with multiple radios - but then this is ways beyond for consumer devices. Netgear Wireless Extenders have some more advanced capabilities for this purpose.

An alternative would be a "mobile hot spot" with a LAN port. Netgear makes those two. Think MR1000.

The trick is to buy two bits of kit that are designed to work together, not to pluck two things out of the sky and hope that they will cooperate.

Just another user.

Message 7 of 11
helix919
Tutor

What your asking is clear as a bell to me.   The other guy who was answering you is a moron for asking you tons of stupid questions all because he wasn't smart enough to understand what you had already described!!  Some people are WAY tooooo full of themselves and can't admit when they just don't have a clue....

Message 8 of 11

Care to share your solution to the issue at hand?

Just another user.

Message 9 of 11
81anKarlsson
Aspirant

I returned it and went for the Asus RT-AC88U instead. It does everything I want right out of the box. But it had lots of issues so I got it replaced. The new one also had lots of issues so I returned it and now I have a Synology RT-2600AC. This one also did everything I want right out of the box and have done so ever since. Only bad thing with it is that it only has 4 Ethernet ports. But that’s easily fixed with a switch.

The only really good thing I have to say about the X10 is that the range of the wifi is beyond compare! The signal went through a room and out on my balcony further than the second best. I wonder how they managed to do it so much better than everyone else…
I've compare it to Linksys EA9500 , Asus RT-AC88U and Synology RT-2600AC and of those 4 “top” routers the Netgear X10 really stands out in matter of wifi-range! The only one that came even close to the range of the X10 is the Synology.

Message 10 of 11

@helix919 wrote:

What your asking is clear as a bell to me.   The other guy who was answering you is a moron for asking you tons of stupid questions all because he wasn't smart enough to understand what you had already described!!  Some people are WAY tooooo full of themselves and can't admit when they just don't have a clue....

Well said!

People, please stop wasting everyones time.  If you don't understand the question, move on.  I'm sure you can be very helpful with other questions.  Nice of you to try, but we really don't have time for this...

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E