Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

X10 R9000 constantly rebooting

AliveAndWell
Aspirant

X10 R9000 constantly rebooting

Hello,

I purchased my Nighthawk X10 R9000 a couple of years ago. Since then I have been taking advantage of the QoS, and SFP+ port features in addition to the variety of functionality and performance it offers for self hosting solutions. I have 4 services I host on a server at my home. All of which are exposed publically, but through secure proxies.

For some reason recently (may have been firmware update as I leave that as automatic) my router continuously reboots at random throughout the day. The logs are fairly useless as they clear out during every one of these reboots. It has gotten to the point where it is interfering with my work as it is genuinely constant.

I requested my ISP to change my IP which they have. But this made no difference. I then reboot to factory settings, set up all the settings again back to a usable state, but the router rebooted an hour later.

Anyone else experiencing issues like these? I am at the point where I believe I need to replace this router and seeing as how I was hoping it would last me years, it is stressing me out.

Thank you all,

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: X10 R9000 constantly rebooting

Might be worth trying a couple things first. 

1. The power supply. I've seen power supplies work until put under heavy load. Maybe somethings putting it under load and its crashing.If you have a matching power supply (same voltage and polarity, at least the same amperage but it can be more)

Might be worth trying that.

2. cooling. Maybe its getting hot where its at and causing a reboot. Got an old desk fan or something you could make sure it stays cool? 

3. Maybe it was new firmware that is causing the issue. Have you tried downgrading it a version? Then do the factory reset, reinstall, and disable auto-updates. 

Message 2 of 4
AliveAndWell
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.

Do you mean the power supply in the router?

As far as the load goes, it usually isnt even hovering above 50% on all its resources as I have been checking it thoroughly. I also physically have been feeling it as I thought it may be something like the temp, but it doesnt seem very hot.

I did perform a factory reset, but it was on the latest version of firmware. I am not sure when they released the latest version, but that very well may cause issues. How does one downgrade? I cannot find any versions of firmware besides the latest here on the netgear site.

Message 3 of 4
antinode
Guru

> [...] How does one downgrade? I cannot find any versions of firmware
> besides the latest here on the netgear site.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Downloads.  (For older versions, under Firmware and Software
Downloads, look for "View Previous Versions".)  Find the kit(s).
Download the kit(s) you want.  Read the "Release Notes" file for
instructions. (In the User Manual, look for "firmware", and,
especially, for a topic like "Manually Upload Firmware to the Router".)
When that fails because of a deficient User Manual, try:

https://kb.netgear.com/23960

> [...] it is genuinely constant.

Not possible.  It might be frequent.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7