X10 R9000 dropping connections

bdrummonds
Guide

X10 R9000 dropping connections

Drops all connections multiple times a day.  I can hear groans throughout my office in unison when this happens. It has gotten really annoying, just typing this short post the signal has dropped twice.

Firmware has been updated,  factory reset completed,  QOS= Off, DNS cache on all computers reset.

WOW! 100mb buisness class fiber with QOS monitoring.

Multiple others on this board have had the same problem, have yet to see a fix for it that works

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 58
schumaku
Guru

Re: X10 R9000 dropping connections

Not the most useful problem description. Wireless associations dropping? Ethernet links dropping? Internet link dropping? Established sessions dropping? Router rebooting? 

What does the Logs show?

What do the device LED show around the connections dropping?

If wireless - is there a rogue wireless around in the air trying to grab whatever from your business?

v1.0.3.10 firmware in place?

@Case850 wrote:

@schumaku is a frequent poster on these forums tells me I am wrong and that the R9000 is a fantastic box.

Lol - now you are on the other far end of the scale. You can imagine I had read the initial post some hours ago already. As I have a job and some other work to do, it had to wait.

@Case850 wrote:

He claims to have contacts with the R9000 development team. Perhaps he might be able to fix the problem.

Yes, I'm in a situation where some key people answer emails ref. R9000/R8900..

I have not seen any kind of "fantastic box" in this consumer/SOHO market yet. Many are average. For a laughter dear friend @Case850 - at home I have (no: had to be exact) an ISP provided box by Swisscom named "Internet Box plus". Every few hours, we had lost Internet connectivity, IPTV, and telephony service. An intense activity started, router requests were requested, router was swapped several times, test firmware was placed, ... and still, the telephony (BGP?) session on the router never recovered from whatever problem bringing down everything. Only a cold boot fixed things. Weeks and months later, a nice bud decided to replace the CPE by a business CPE - since then all the issues are gone. "One of 1.2 Mio customers" at that time they told me. I would even replace that one - but I have no choice without loosing the telephony service. Considering to order yet another test fibre, and plug the R9000 with the SFP+ as a WAN port. Internet would be easy, IPTV might require a fix, and telephony would be lost (that won't be Netgear's mistake).

Message 2 of 58
bdrummonds
Guide

V 1.0.3.10 firmware currently. YES, and a factory reset after.

Wireless associations dropping? Yes, all connected devices, most of the time each will reconnect without issue, but if you were in the middle of saving something to our cloud storage it will be lost.

Ethernet links dropping? The only Ethernet device is our 2Tb cloud storage device. 

Internet link dropping? Yes, our pages that update every minute will not refresh.

Established sessions dropping?  Yes, printers and computers will loose connection and some have to be manually reconnected because the whole network disappears.

Router rebooting? No. Only when I manually reboot it.

What does the Logs show? logs show  a few DoS Attacks which i attribute to the computers updating their live web feeds for the services we use.  They also show multiple instances of WLAN access rejected incorrect security.  I will paste yesterdays log  below.

What do the device LED show around the connections dropping? Not sure, Router is in network room, and not visible from any desk.

If wireless - is there a rogue wireless around in the air trying to grab whatever from your business? doubt it, we are a small buisness with 6 office personell in a 1800 sqft modular office (all wood, not metal framing)  on 5 acres with our closest neighbor being a historic mansion that is unoccupied.

While I am not a tech guru, my employees think I am.  I am just a small business owner who tries to do what needs to be done when it needs to be done so that I can take care of the 20 families that depend on us to keep working. 

logs in next post

Message 3 of 58
bdrummonds
Guide

yesterdays log

Message 4 of 58
bdrummonds
Guide

Also, yesterday afternoon I disabled Smart connect and will see how today goes with just the 2.4ghz  for the computers and printers and the 5g for the mobile devices.

Message 5 of 58
LayZMan
Star

I have noticed a similar problem on my router just recently. I started noticing it after I enabled the smart connections option. I immediately disabled it but have had the problem ever since. My router drops most of the lights. I've seen only one light before and I've seen 3 lights. The router appears to reset. Perhaps it's not resetting but eventually all the lights return. I am on firmware 1.0.4.2 I believe. I haven't tested whether or not the lan is affected.
Message 6 of 58
SeanO108
Initiate

I am having the same issue.  The router is up to date with firmware and is randomly drops wifi while under Smart Connect.  I have not tried to disable that as of yet.  I have put the router on a laptop cooling fan as it seemed pretty hot which has helped.  It now only drops 1-2 times a day rather than every couple of hours.  At the time it drops nothing strange is appearing in the logs.

It sure doesn't seem right that such an expensive router routinely stops sending the wireless signal.  Anything connected via the LAN stays connected without issue.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

Message 7 of 58
schumaku
Guru

Access the /debug.htm by editing the URL to check the temperature and the fan settings.
Message 8 of 58
sh0rty
Tutor

I am no expert, but had similar issues and even RMAd last one becuase of the same. I have been online a few days without issue using Vox Firmware

Message 9 of 58
LayZMan
Star

Ok,so what prompted my browsing the forums to begin with was my consistent disconnect from my router. I noticed my phone's wifi connection would drop and reappear within 15 seconds. I made some changes in my nighthawk app a day before I started experiencing the disconnecting and the only change I could think of was the "smart connect". I switched it on and immediately switched it off. The disconnecting was very often but didn't last long at all. I let it go for a day but when the disconnecting was so much I decided to perform a hard reset of the router back to factory defaults. I had to reset my ssids and passwords to the same thing as before so all my devices would reconnect without hassle. Once that was complete I haven't noticed any disconnecting since. Hope this helps!!
Message 10 of 58
mugopain
Guide

I also did a hard reset and manually re-entered my configuration, which did not work.  Wifi still dropping all the time.  I tried Voxel's firmware like everyone else, but using that breaks LACP.  Maybe one day Netgear will figure it out.  I really wouldnt be upset if this was a $50 router.  Just have to say this is my last Netgear router.

Message 11 of 58
LayZMan
Star

Did you disable smart connect before you performed the hard reset? Did you leave it off? Also, I'm on firmware 1.0.4.2. Also, my symptoms were a wifi drop for a few seconds at a time. It didn't appear to make my router reset. This was my experience.
Message 12 of 58
mugopain
Guide

Sure didn't.  Smart connect is enabled... crap.  I will definitley try again when I get home.  These disconnects are a PIA, about 5-6 an hour easy.  Thankss for the info.

Message 13 of 58
LayZMan
Star

My pleasure, I know how frustrating it is! Hope you get it taken care of. Let me know if there's anything else you want to know about my experience. Good luck.
Message 14 of 58
mugopain
Guide

Well that seemed to work.  Haven't had a drop in over an hour.  Hopefully Netgear address this in the next firmware release.  Thanks for your assistance.

Message 15 of 58
mugopain
Guide

Well looks like i spoke too soon... just dropped out again.  not as frequent tho.  i will continue to monitor

Message 16 of 58
Fidelity101
Tutor

Two week old router, latest firmware, same WiFi dropping issues. My phone and laptop just drop WiFi, the router lights flash, the 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz lights go off and then on again and WiFi reconnects. I’ve tried disabling 60ghz to see if that helps but I’m blown away that a top end router would have issues like this!!!
Message 17 of 58
LayZMan
Star

Have you disabled smart connect?
Message 18 of 58
xnsys
Luminary
Fidelity101
Tutor

After calling Netgear Tech Support (AKA - waste of time), I returned the router.  I've had netgear routers for years and I foolishly thought their "high end" routers would be rock solid.  In the end, I went back to my 7000 series Netgear router and I'm problem free once again.

Message 20 of 58
xnsys
Luminary

@Fidelity101 wrote:

After calling Netgear Tech Support (AKA - waste of time), I returned the router.  I've had netgear routers for years and I foolishly thought their "high end" routers would be rock solid.  In the end, I went back to my 7000 series Netgear router and I'm problem free once again.

Good work - best thing for all Netgear products if you ask me...

Message 21 of 58
Praetorianiv
Aspirant

Yeah, I paid almost $500 for this paperweight.  I lose connection at least once a week.  Have to hook my computer directly to the modem to get internet back, then reset the router and rehook everything for it to work.  Naturally I'm beyond the 90 day support warranty.  I'll never buy another NETGEAR product again, that's for sure.

Message 22 of 58
Hardsoft
Aspirant

Considering dropping connections there seems to be one more version disabling just some clients access to internet..

I have almost all my infrastructure cabled at 1Gig LAN as I don't trust WLAN. Among other usefull tasks I play sometimes with XBOX ONE S which is connected directly to router by LAN cable.

Every now and then XBOX informs that it doesn't have access to internet -> XBOX servers. However the servers are up and running when I check their status with PC. So I check what XBOX GUI network test informs...XBOX has correct IP from router by DHCP and gateway is routers IP and DNS servers are there. I reboot XBOX, but still no access to internet. I just tested access again now while typing in  this message. So next I'll reboot router and see if it helps.

EDIT: ...and after router reboot,  XBOX has access to WAN servers immediately... frustrating...

Message 23 of 58
LayZMan
Star

I understand that this problem has been around a while and has been sufficiently documented. I also agree wholeheartedly that Netgear should have already found and implemented a fix. I was simply stating that my disconnects where drastically more frequent and noticable after I applied the smart connect feature. Whether or not this helps or decreases the number of disconnects for others remains to be seen I suppose. It's just an option I wanted to recommend that seemed to at least help decrease disconnects for me. Again, I still have disconnects but it's not as frequent.
Message 24 of 58
Mustache
Initiate

Smart connect or not I'm dropping connections as well on both bands.

I had a unit RMA and the new one behaves the exact same way. Wondering if they’ll RMA another one so that I can sell it because they won’t get us any money back.

This thing is terrible.
Message 25 of 58
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E