X10 R9000 dropping connections

rburch00
Guide

Re: X10 R9000 dropping connections

I been having issues with My Xbox dropping connections on the R9000 for months....I thought it was the Xbox WiFi connection so I bought a Negear EX3700 Extender so I could use the Ethernet connection.....NOPE...! 

After researching the issue, here is what I am reading......

Like most people, believing Netgears' HighEnd products would be kickass and never have such a fundamental flaw......but they turn out to be CRAP.........and worst of all, it looks like Netgear doesn't give a F---!!!!    Tough Sh-t customers!!!!

I can't even get thru a 10 min game of Call of Duty without dropping connection.....!!

Netgear, your Router is a Piece of Sh-t.......!

If you can't get your Sh-t together and get a Firmware fix out to we the customer, you need to do a recall......!!

That's what happens when you make crap and charge the crap out of people and then you don't make it right when the crap doesn't WORK....!!!

FIX IT DAMMIT.   Smiley Sad

Message 26 of 58
LayZMan
Star

Just a heads up to everyone, I have searched around different threads and apparently another user is testing a beta firmware build for our R9000. So far so good apparently but hopefully this means a more stable build is around the corner? Not getting my hopes up but at least there's a light at the end of this tunnel and we know that Netgear is working on it. 👍🤞
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 27 of 58
Jhamilton19
Aspirant

My unit does the same thing, about every couple days drops both WiFi and ethernet connection. A power cycle restores connection for a couple days.

I bought my unit a couple weeks ago from Best buy and have geek squad protection. The router is awesome if it would work.

Debating returning for the Asus AC 3100. I just want a router that works.
Message 28 of 58
LayZMan
Star

I agree wanting our equipment to work. For as much as we paid for this dang thing, it should be number one on Netgears priority list. I just really hope they fix this once and for all.
Message 29 of 58
Escrul
Tutor

Any updates on the beta firmware?
I've been having the same issue for a while. (WIFI dropping on both bands)
The problem started after I updated to the latest firmware version before that the router had been performing great.
Message 30 of 58
rburch00
Guide

They obviously could give a Sh--, it's been months and nothing.....!!!  

I downgrade to the prior V1.0.4.2 and my router has been pretty stable......my router drops once a week or so, verses every 5 mins during an Xbox match with the latest piece of crap firmware V1.0.4.12 they offer now..!! 

Why can't you look at what you changed between the 2 versions and fix what you broke!!!  Thank God you are not an Enterprise company and just a consumer vendor.  I can't image having this kind of lag of months in getting a fix for issues with your junky ass firmware....!!!

What is wrong with your Development Team.....?

We the Customers are TIRED of your incompetence........FIX IT....!! 

Message 31 of 58
Escrul
Tutor

I would even roll back even further than V1.0.4.2. As that was the version I had before installing V1.0.4.12, and it was stable.
Message 32 of 58
LayZMan
Star

The beta firmware is better but I still have the occasional hiccups. It's certainly better than the last stable build. I agree with you guys, this has taken long enough. I really hope when the next stable build comes out that there are no issues at all.... Wishful thinking I'm sure.
Message 33 of 58
mharrod
Aspirant

How do you downgrade your firmware? I work from home and it is almost impossible to work or watch any tv as we stream tv, no cable.
Message 34 of 58
Escrul
Tutor

Use the link below. Make sure you scroll down and on the Software Download section click where is says "View Previous Versions". There you will find the older firmware versions available. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R9000.aspx#Firmware%20Version%201.0.4.12

Message 35 of 58
Andre_PA
Tutor

I have the same problem. Both 2.4 and 5GHz AP bounce at least once an hour. I can see in my logs that all my devices are getting their DHCP address every time this happens. I had a R7500v2 router and it had to be rebooted once a month if that. This piece of crap requires once a day. I've been living with this issue for about 6 months and it seems to be getting worse. I used to tell everyone in the past too by Netgear...  but since I got this R9000, I tell people to get other brands. By the way, support refused to do any real troubleshooting like gather debug logs. All they wanted to do was re-apply firmware. I'm a system engineer and have to deal with technical support all the time but this support was a joke. I'm sure they were paid minimum salary or close to it. I'm so fed up that I'm going to try to apply Voxel's firmware to see if it will work better. If it does, at least I won't scream out of frustration so often.

Message 36 of 58
Hardsoft
Aspirant

If I've understood correctly Voxel FW is a modified version of Netgear so there might be issues on the platform itself.

I've used Voxels latest 1.0.4.14HF, but have still had my XBOX ONE kicked offline once a week despite other devices have been online and also PLEX server crashes every now and then.

Today Voxel has released a new 1.0.4.15HF - have to check if it fixes any issues

Message 37 of 58
SkimPappa
Apprentice

The beta version 1.0.4.20 made no difference for me. It still loses connection frequently. I’ve beta tested for many companies. This one is not an “active” or targeted beta by any means. There isn’t a bug reporting/tracking ability or even a decent list of changes to help target where to test. I don’t feel like the stability of these routers is a priority. That is very disappointing to me.

Message 38 of 58
bdrummonds
Guide

Since I have not posted in this discussion for 8 months, I thought I would update all as to my situation.

NETGEAR was no help, as you have all found out from your own personal experiences with this $500 paper weight. Being that I had dealt with the issues for 6 months from time of purchase to time of frustration overload, I could not take it back to Best Buy.  I removed the x10-R9000 and went back to my trusty R7000  an the day after my original post and have had no issues now in  8 months.  NO other changes to my network were made, just swap back to the old inexpensive router.  

I have a $500 piece of new age techno wall art now that reminds me each day that sometimes the latest and the greatest is not all that and a bag of chips. 

Message 39 of 58
rburch00
Guide

What is so amazining is NETGEAR is mute with all these customer complaints.....!

In one of my previous post I mentioned that I hope an Atty was in the thread so they could go file a "Class Action" lawsuit for selling such a piece of Sh-t product and just leave us stuck with a cool piece of wall art.......! 

They cut the lines out of my post that mention filing a Class Action law suit..!! So we know you are reading these post......!

So if there is an Attorney out there Help Us because a lawsuit seem to be the only recourse to get something done to either Fix or Buy back these junky ass routers!!!! 

Message 40 of 58
Andre_PA
Tutor

Well, I reverted back to Firmware V1.0.4.2 last night and so far, I don't see 30 DHCP request every hour or so because of the 2.4 and 5GHz signal dropping.  there have been none in 12 hours... that's an improvement. 

Message 41 of 58
rburch00
Guide

That firmware level has been very stable for me....I have not had to reboot the router since I downgraded.  I a very rarely lose connectivity....It has made the router usable...!

But they still need to fix the latest firmware......no excuse for the issuses that upgrade causes....!

Message 42 of 58
Andre_PA
Tutor

Well, it's been 3 days since I've downgraded my router to V1.0.4.2 and it's also been stable, not radio reboots! ..go figure.  I Disabled "Router Auto Firmware Update"   so I can control when upgrades are done. I noticed degradation of network speed last evening when I ran a network test on my PS4. I tested on my phone with speedtest.net and got the same results. After my reboot, my speed was back to normal and it's being close to 24 hours since the reboot and my speed is still normal.

I wish we could just configure an automatic reboot of the router every night. Anyone have a trick to do that?

Has anyone been contacted by Netgear because of this thread? Are they even paying attention? Perhaps we should all go on Amazon or store where we bought this garbage and give the R9000 a nice fat 1 star.

Message 43 of 58
Fidelity101
Tutor

I'm glad to hear that someone is having success.  I was FURIOUS when the netgear technical support employee told me "We aren't aware of a disconnect issue".  Per someone's post previously, I believe that Netgear is not on this forum BECAUSE they don't want to acknowledge the issue.

That said, I did end up returning the router and buying something else.  I'm now having problems with the R7000 router as it's disconnecting a few times per day with firmware 1.0.9.42 so I'm going to try updating to 1.0.9/60 before downgrading to a much earlier version if that doesn't fix the disconnects.  But I'll post my findings on another thread in order to avoid confusion as it's a different product.  

Message 44 of 58
Escrul
Tutor

Been running Ver. 1.0.3.16 for 2 days and it has been perfectly stable. No randomly dropped connections on any of the bands. 

For now I recommend anyone having issues with dropped connections to downgrade to Ver. 1.0.3.16 Until Netgear's programming team decides to figure out what is wrong with the firmware version that followed 1.0.3.16.

Message 45 of 58
spqrbc
Aspirant

What is the best way to direct download that 1.0.3.16 version?  Is this the VOX version?

Thank you to everyone contributing to this thread.  I just reconfigured the X10 and thought the issues had to do with my repeater.  After elmininating that...its nice to know we are working to solve this.  But SAD! Netgear isn't.  

Message 46 of 58
schumaku
Guru

@spqrbc wrote:

What is the best way to direct download that 1.0.3.16 version?.  

www.netgear.com/support/  -> R9000  > Downloads -> View Previous Versions

@spqrbc wrote:

Is this the VOX version?  

No.

@spqrbc wrote:

...its nice to know we are working to solve this.  But SAD! Netgear isn't.  

Rubbish. Netgear is working on it, they offer the access to the work in progress builds via a dedicated community channel, send PM to @ChristineT or @Christian_R - they are glad to add you to the group.

Message 47 of 58
Escrul
Tutor

Message 48 of 58
Joe0x7F
Aspirant

I am having these drop-out problems too with this same router, WiFi and Ethernet. It's terrible. The QA department dropped the ball on this one.

What worries me now (and angers me because of possibly wasting all that money) is that this may end up not being a firnmware issue but a hardware issue that cannot be patched over with firmware.

Message 49 of 58
schumaku
Guru

@Joe0x7F wrote:

I am having these drop-out problems too with this same router, WiFi and Ethernet. It's terrible. The QA department dropped the ball on this one. 

Ethernet is very uncommon, in my experience this was a temporary thing in the past. QA and product management was on a holiday (in Timbuktu or the like) the last two years.

@Joe0x7F wrote:

What worries me now (and angers me because of possibly wasting all that money) is that this may end up not being a firmware issue but a hardware issue that cannot be patched over with firmware. 

For the n-th time in this thread: Send a PM to @ChristineT or @Christian_R and request access to the work-in-progress (Beta) community section. I don't expect there are any hardware issues.

Message 50 of 58
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E