X10 R9000 drops devices constantly

mcosta08
Aspirant

X10 R9000 drops devices constantly

Hi Everyone,

I purchased the X10 hoping to get a little more coverage in my two story home. Did notice a little better coverage, but nothing significant. It worked fairly well for a few weeks, then started dropping my devices constantly throuhgout the day and night. I now have to unplug the router twice a day to keep performance up. Why does the router keep losing devices? It happens on both 5G and 2.4G. 

Does anyone have a reccomendation for a good system that can chain with this router and make a broader coverage area for garage and outbuidlings? I'm about ready to get a trencher and run Cat5 to every part of my house and outbuildings. 

Thanks

Mark

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 20
LeeH
Prodigy

Re: X10 R9000 drops devices constantly

Run CAT7 not CAT5.

Message 2 of 20
alokeprasad
Mentor

Good advice when running new cables .. but R9000 works fine with Cat 5e wiring inside my house.

Look for some other issue.  Try testing the the wires with a Fluke meter for bandwidth capacity.

If the reliability is an issue w wired and WiFi, then blame the router.  If only wired, then suspect the wiring.

Orbi RBK50v2 ver 2.7.2.104
Love my Orbi (with this firmware version).
Message 3 of 20
mcosta08
Aspirant

I have not wired anything yet. Meant I would hard wire if I can't get Eifi and the router to stay up. 

Does anyone know why the router keeps dropping devices, and loses internet connection a lot....?

Thnks

Message 4 of 20
LeeH
Prodigy

The normal troubleshooting process goes like this.

First try resetting the router using the reset button located on the back of the router held in for at least 10 seconds until the power light turns orange and starts to blink.  Test it out.

If that didn't work try upgrading the firmware to the latest and then reset the router again.  Test it out.

Then if no one on this forum has another recommendation like a version of firmware that works better or a setting to change,  return the router and get another one.  Or if it has been to long since you purchased it to return it then do a RMA with NetGear.

I have owned a R7000 for three years and it has excellent coverage and I have never had problems with it like what you are having with your R9000 but it did have some firmware problems at first.  The R7000 is mature and therefore much more stable.  It will take a year or two for the R9000 to mature.  You have purchased a bleeding edge router with all the new bells and whistles so you will likely have some issues until the firmware is perfected.

The R9000 should prove to be a very capable router IF you make sure you are getting a defect free piece of hardware to get started with. 

Message 5 of 20
suziek
Aspirant

Mine does the exact same thing. I have to restart it about every two hours. Paid good money for the thing and very disappointed. However, I also bought a Netgear extender ($150 at Best Buy) and it works great, never drops. Any ideas? Anyone?

Message 6 of 20
Mighty_Putty
Apprentice

If you're on firmware v.1.0.2.32, and Dynamic QoS is enabled, disable it.  A number of users -including myself- have experienced this, and the workaround at this juncture is to disable it.  

Message 7 of 20
suziek
Aspirant

I am on that firmware. However, it was already disabled. I wonder if I should enable it. What do you think?

Message 8 of 20
Mighty_Putty
Apprentice

No, leave it disabled.  It'll just exacerbate an already unstable situation.  These are a few things I would try also.

-Verify you have stable power input to where you're plugging the router into.  

-If IP v.6 is not already disabled, do that as well.

-If you've customized your config, either back it up or screenshot your settings, and perform a config default of the firmware.  You'll lose your updated password and other settings, though, so definitely make a note of them, and reupdate subsequently. 

-If none of the above works, respond back and I'll add a few items to try. Mine was very stable until this version of firmware with Dynamic QoS turned on.  Once off, it's pretty solid again.  Hopefully, you don't have bad hardware, but during the troubleshooting process, we can flush that out so you can return or exchange it if necessary. 

Message 9 of 20
suziek
Aspirant

I enabled it, did a reboot and it has not dropped a single time in the last 2 hours. Before, it would drop every 10 minutes.

Message 10 of 20
Mighty_Putty
Apprentice

Interesting - keep us updated.  That has certainly not been the case for me.

Message 11 of 20
suziek
Aspirant

IP v.6 was already disabled. I do have a good constant power source.

Message 12 of 20
suziek
Aspirant

It's crazy that I enabled QoS and it works great. Should I disable it, anyway?

Message 13 of 20
Mighty_Putty
Apprentice

Well, not to sound like a politician, but against my former advice, if having it off was causing your x10 to constantly reboot, and now having it enabled is keeping it up, then it would probably be best to leave it enabled.  It would be interesting to see if it does remain stable.  From some of the unofficial post counts, it seems like you're in the minority, but I'm glad it's working for you.  Very frustrating when it keeps rebooting at the most inopportune times. Please keep us updated, though. Did you just reboot it, or reset to default config?

Message 14 of 20
n2guns
Tutor

My X10 started dropping wired connections two updates ago. In the last week or so, I have installed two updates. The wireless still works after the wired connections drop but that doesn't help me as I have four wired NAS devices and several wired computers, not to mention several wired entainerment devices. Hoping they fix their problem soon...

Message 15 of 20
Mark994
Aspirant

Hi,

My R9000 keeps dropping wired connections....some days they're fine but at night...and the next day they're gone again

I have a NAS and a home CCTV system that are static IP's...the Hue bridge and Tado bridge are wired but DHCP

Any ideas as to why this keeps happening....it's drivining me to the point I'll return it and go with another manufacturer

have had a R8000 for ages without any issues

Also have a couple of TP link 8 port Gb switches...the equipment connected is also having issues now and again but nowhere near the directly wired kit

Message 16 of 20
n2guns
Tutor

Did you recently update the router firmware? This happened to me a while back with the 1.0.2.30 and 1.0.2.32 updates. I had to perform a factory reset, then downgrade the firmware back to 1.0.1.36 and followed that with another factory reset. The problem used to happen daily. Since the downgrade a month or so ago, it has only happened a couple of times.

From the Netgear home page, click on support. Scroll down to the bottom left and click on "Download Center." Type in R900 in the search field. On the right side of the R9000 page you will see "Firmware/Software" and a list of downloads. Under that list will be an arrow. Click it and it will show older firmware versions. Find the last one you used that worked...
I worked with Netgear Support over the phone several times. I sent them my configuration file and they were able to replicate my issue on their own router. Because of that, I didn't bother running my old configuration. I have a lot of settings and static IPs I had to re-enter several times throughout the process of initial upgrades, troubleshooting it myself and while working with Netgear over the phone.
Good luck.

Message 17 of 20
Mark994
Aspirant

I'll do that as soon as I can, sounds like Netgear ought to get some techs to look at the firmware before releasing it....no good fixing 1 bug / function when dropping others

Mark

Message 18 of 20
Mark994
Aspirant

Many thanks, did exactly that and now works fine

Message 19 of 20
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Mark994 Checking this with our engineering team. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E