X10 R9000 - keeps crashing

sh0rty
Tutor

X10 R9000 - keeps crashing

Upgraded from R7000 and had for about two months.  I am on Spectrum (formally TWC) in San Antonio.  I was experiencing network outages, thinking it was my service providor, but when I attempted to login via 192.168.1.1 it acted like it was not there with no username/pass request.  I then upgraded firmware and all seemed good, but now about 1-2 times a week I get no internet.  However all lights show connected and good on arris modem and the router.  Additionally adn oddly enough I can remote into my NAS via my phone outside network.  I took one extra step and upgraded modem to CM600 and I didnt make it one day without having to reset router to return internet connectiveity to hard wired systems. Just confused...any thougths or is it RMA time?  

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 31
danms666
Guide

Re: X10 R9000 - keeps crashing

I have the same issue since updating to the most recent firmware on the R8000.  Once or twice a week, it seems to just crash, and is unresponsive to anything short of turning the power off and back on.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 2 of 31
sh0rty
Tutor

Are you going for RMA or holding out for updated firmware?

Message 3 of 31
danms666
Guide

I found another thread, linked to instructions on downgrading the firmware.  It worked with the old firmware, so I'm hoping doing so solved my issue.

Message 4 of 31
sh0rty
Tutor

Can you please share the link and/or the firmware recommended?  thanks!

Message 5 of 31
danms666
Guide

This is the thread with the link

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Issue-with-R8000-firmware-V1-0-4-18-10-1-49/...

This is a quote from the solution from antinode

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Downloads.  Under Firmware and Software Downloads, look for "View
Previous Versions".  Find the kit(s).  Download the kit you want.  Read
the "Release Notes" file for instructions.

Message 6 of 31
sh0rty
Tutor

Last question...which firmware has been working for you without issue?  Thanks again!!

Message 7 of 31
danms666
Guide

1.0.4.12_10.1.46

I'm not yet certain it completely solved the issue, as it was only happening once or twice a week, but it looks good so far.

Message 8 of 31
sh0rty
Tutor

I only see 1.0.3.16 as an option, but will try that.  I am also pulling my logs and see a series of DOS attackes...I have my server behind the R9000. That might have something to do with it as well.

Message 9 of 31
sh0rty
Tutor

Nope..crashed again.  However lasted longer than a few days this time.  I woke up to all lights on as normal, but no connectivity to network on hardwired PC.  Browser could not find 192.168.1.1 until I restarted the router.  Convinced the router is the problem now so going back to old faithful R7000 until I can get an RMA.

Message 10 of 31
Altsai
NETGEAR Expert

Message 11 of 31
mingle123
Tutor

回复: X10 R9000 - keeps crashing

Do you try the wireless client to access R9000? Does your PC can get the ip or not? The device crash always happend with reboot, The LED is normal or not? As you say, the device seems hang or Just cannot get IP. Does reboot can resolve it?

Message 12 of 31
sh0rty
Tutor

I was having problem with older firmware, then updated to this and nothing changed.  I then went to an older one, but not the previous one and still nothing changed.

Message 13 of 31
sh0rty
Tutor

All clients attached to router (wired & wireless) lose connectivity and the only reason we know that something is not right.  Once I notice I go to wired PC and attempt to log into 192.168.1.1 and no password prompt is provided and PC cannot find webpage.  I also try 192.168.100.1 and nothing as well.  All LEDs on router & modem are on as though nothing is wrong.  The only way to restore network is a router reboot...modem is fine.  THis happens about every 2-3 days. I have tried 3 different firmwares, a router restore, a new modem and still network drops every 2-3 days....problem remained.  I RMAd the device a few days ago.  I am hoping a the new R9000 will not have the same issues. 

Message 14 of 31
Altsai
NETGEAR Expert

Did you ever try routerlogin.net rather than IP address?
Message 15 of 31
sh0rty
Tutor

No, I did not. However not sure it would have produced a different result. Either way I no longer have the specific router in question.
Message 16 of 31
sh0rty
Tutor

Oh and by the way no drops in network since my X10 was replaced back to my old R7000, which tells me service provider, cabling, modem are eliminated as the potential problem.
Message 17 of 31
sh0rty
Tutor

So i go the replacement via RMA, installed it yesterday. It automatically asked for the firmware update, which i did and boom at 0500 when I woke up all lights looked good on mondem and router, but yet no connections.  I tried to log in via 192.168.1.1 and broswer could not connect without a reboot.  So dissapointed and not sure what else to do. Also note that my old R7000 worked great awaiting the RMA of this NEW one..the second NEW one.  is there something I missing?

Message 18 of 31
sh0rty
Tutor

I just installed the Vox firmware to see if that makes a change.  If I can make it a week without a forced manual reboot I will be in better shape.

Message 19 of 31
sh0rty
Tutor

RMAd first one due to constant network drops.  Received new one via RMA and dropped all connections overnight...didnt even last one day.  Changed to VOX firmware to see if that might help...made it two days...woke up to all connections dropped and only method to restore connectivity was modem restart.  I am fairly convinced this product is garbage.

Message 20 of 31
RodB74
Aspirant

I have reset the router(using the reset button in the back).  It has not dropped connection ever since.  Firmware V1.0.4.2

Also, plex server was not connecting anymore. To fix that I deleted the folder "Library" on my USB drive and re-installed plex. It now works fine.

Message 21 of 31
sh0rty
Tutor

will try that tomorrow.  I am not using Plex on the router, but rather a QNAP behind it with FLex onboard.

Message 22 of 31
sh0rty
Tutor

Completely done with this router.  All connetions dropped again and unable to login without a reboot.  Extremely dissapointed.  Back to the RELIABLE R7000 and will look for other options with another RMAd product.  I dont think that I need to utilize all these troubleshooting techiniques, etc for a product to work as advertised. 

Message 23 of 31
jdouglass
Aspirant

I have something similar happening and I'm not sure if its the same thing or not. But several times throughout the day my WAN access will go down on the entire network and the way I fix it is to simply log into the admin interface of the router and on the basic homepage under internet status it will read "disconnected" all in red. If I click it it will load a page. It takes minute but when the page is loaded then my WAN is back up.

I'm not sure what is going on but it is very annoying. I spoke with a rep at Arris thinking it may be a modem issue and at the time it seemed resetting the modem back to its default and then having the modem update its firmware again from Cox would do it. The thought was that maybe the modem firmware from Cox got corrupted so we did a reset. It seemed to work for a few weeks but I think with the latest Netgear Firmware V1.0.4.2 its gotten worse. And unfortunately resetting the modem factory defaults didnt help this time.

I spent too much on this router to simply replace it so I'm waiting for the next firmware update. Or I may simply use an older version. We'll see.

Message 24 of 31
sh0rty
Tutor

Appreciate the reply, but mine appears to be a complete crash. Once I notice a complete network failure the router will not allow me to log into it. The only option is hard reboot.
Message 25 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E