Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

X10 R9000 wired network running at 100Mbps

frekin
Aspirant

X10 R9000 wired network running at 100Mbps

I recently bought a X10 R9000 router to replace my old WNDR4500 N900 router, also from Netgear. I have Cat 6 or better ethernet cable running from the cable modem to the router and from the router to two computers. 

- When the WNDR4500 was installed, I could achieve ~80 - 100 megabytes per second transfer rates between my two wired computers (~gigabit speeds)

- The leds on the old router indicated gigabit ethernet connections

- I installed the R9000 in the same location and did not change any of the ethernet wiring or the gigabit switches I have in place

- The R9000 shows white flashing leds for the two computers, indicating gigabit ethernet connections

- When I transfer a large file, the speed clearly tops out at ~10-11 megabytes per second, like it's hitting a hard limit (looks like ~100Mbps ethernet)

- I disconnected everything and connected both computers directly to the router using Cat6 cables and I still see the same transfer rate limit

- I turned off any QOS settings I could find, but no change

I have already checked for new firmware (none available yet). Do I have a defective R9000? I'm really considering returning this and waiting for a less buggy AC7200 router to come out. At this point, my expensive router looks like a downgrade.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: X10 R9000 wired network running at 100Mbps

Try to reflash the firmware and do a hard reset.

If it didn't work, I suggest that you exchange it for a new one.

1. With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on the back of unit for 30seconds.
2. Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds.
3. Power on the unit while STILL pushing the reset button and count for another 30 seconds before letting it go.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
William10a
Master

Have you reset the lan cards on the computers to tell them about the new router?

What color are the lan ports leds white or amber?

Message 2 of 6
frekin
Aspirant

I only reset one of the connected computers, but not the other (mini-ITX server).

Both of the wired connections showed white leds on the router, so I assumed that they were gigabit. I also tried all of the other ports in various combinations, and the result is always the same.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try to reflash the firmware and do a hard reset.

If it didn't work, I suggest that you exchange it for a new one.

1. With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on the back of unit for 30seconds.
2. Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds.
3. Power on the unit while STILL pushing the reset button and count for another 30 seconds before letting it go.

Message 4 of 6
frekin
Aspirant

I followed your directions exactly, but I required one additional power cycle on the router to get the power light to stop flashing after reset.

Now I see all white leds for ethernet (as before). When I transferred a large file, however, it topped out around 80 megabytes/s instead of the previous 12 megabytes/s. I think the current 0.64 Gbps transfer rate is a function of the computers on each end at this point.

I consider the problem solved, as I was transferring at a similar rate with my previous WNDR4500.

Message 5 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for the update!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements