Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: X10 R9000

AnonymousScorpi
Aspirant

X10 R9000

Okay first please excuse me if this has already been addressed but I'm loosing my mind. I first bought an X10 over a 1 1/2 years ago and no problems what so ever. About 6 months ago I switched isps from Comcast to Verizon Fios. Everything worked great for about a month than all of a sudden I started loosing all my wired connections. Wireless worked fine with no problems but anything connected through Ethernet didn't. I tried everything possible from factory reboot to replacing every cable with no fix. Router log showed numerous DOS attacks and from my understanding even though that's bad news but it is typical on this router. Any how I went to BestBuy and spoke with an agent who told me something was wrong with the router. I was not happy that such an expensive router would go bad but I took the chance and just bought another X10 to see if it worked and well it did for a good month or so than now it's doing it again. I am really upset that I have dropped now over $1,000 on a router that can only serve as an AP device. I can't be the only one with this issue so can someone please help me out here? I am at a loss. I am on the newest firmware Router Firmware Version
V1.0.2.32
1)I did a full factory reboot after update
2)Reboot of router fixes issues until next day
3)Even when lost wired connections the lights on router show a connection (solid white)
4)wireless works fine
5)all new cat6 cables
6) 6 devices connected as follows in order Xbox one S, PlayStation 4, Apple TV, Hue lights, Cable box, Samsung smart tv
Somebody please help me before I lose it. Thank you!
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Mighty_Putty
Apprentice

Wow! I wasn't aware the R9000 was available over 1.5 years ago. I thought it's a lot newer than that. However:

-I have seen numerous postings from the Xbox One S user community that there's an inherent problem with network disconnects with the instant on feature. They've had to keep the Xbox console in energy saver mode to prevent this from occurring, and it appears that's been successful from what I've read.  Have you tried that workaround for your Xbox One S? This is specific only to that device, though. Was instant on enabled before you switched over to Verizon Fios?

-I take it that you've done a factor reset once you've upgraded to the latest firmware revision (you mentioned reboot - little bit of a difference there). If you haven't already done so, it's Advanced -> Backup Settings -> Erase radio button under "Revert to factory default settings."  You'll lose all your custom settings as part of this procedure, though (SSIDs, passwords, etc), so take screenshots and manually reinput, or do a config backup prior to and restore subsequently. If you already have performed this, disregard.

-Are you sure it's only your wired devices that are dropping and not your wireless as well? If you're certain, can you switch one of them (your P/S 4, for instance) to wireless and validate if it still experiences the same network disconnects? I have a P/S 4 connected to the 5G network on mine, and it's stable.

-Is Dynamic QoS enabled? If so, can you disable and monitor for any changes in the overall stability?

-To provide some context, I have an R9000, and it's been very stable (albeit lacking some features), until the latest firmware rev when I enabled QoS. I had to disable same, and it's been behaving itself once more. I have numerous IoS devices connected to it -quite a few wired, including a Smartthings hub, Lutron hub, etc, and no issues with network uptime on those devices. Also, a NetGear switch connected to it that's pretty populated (for work) and no issues there from the R9000 perspective as well.

-The DoS attacks in the router logs appear to be mostly fallacious. To be thorough, though, I would probably vet in your environment to ensure it's not a real problem. For most users including myself, it's pretty misleading info.

-There are also some best practices specific to wireless, but since that's not applicable to your situation, I'll not mention them here.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
Mighty_Putty
Apprentice

Wow! I wasn't aware the R9000 was available over 1.5 years ago. I thought it's a lot newer than that. However:

-I have seen numerous postings from the Xbox One S user community that there's an inherent problem with network disconnects with the instant on feature. They've had to keep the Xbox console in energy saver mode to prevent this from occurring, and it appears that's been successful from what I've read.  Have you tried that workaround for your Xbox One S? This is specific only to that device, though. Was instant on enabled before you switched over to Verizon Fios?

-I take it that you've done a factor reset once you've upgraded to the latest firmware revision (you mentioned reboot - little bit of a difference there). If you haven't already done so, it's Advanced -> Backup Settings -> Erase radio button under "Revert to factory default settings."  You'll lose all your custom settings as part of this procedure, though (SSIDs, passwords, etc), so take screenshots and manually reinput, or do a config backup prior to and restore subsequently. If you already have performed this, disregard.

-Are you sure it's only your wired devices that are dropping and not your wireless as well? If you're certain, can you switch one of them (your P/S 4, for instance) to wireless and validate if it still experiences the same network disconnects? I have a P/S 4 connected to the 5G network on mine, and it's stable.

-Is Dynamic QoS enabled? If so, can you disable and monitor for any changes in the overall stability?

-To provide some context, I have an R9000, and it's been very stable (albeit lacking some features), until the latest firmware rev when I enabled QoS. I had to disable same, and it's been behaving itself once more. I have numerous IoS devices connected to it -quite a few wired, including a Smartthings hub, Lutron hub, etc, and no issues with network uptime on those devices. Also, a NetGear switch connected to it that's pretty populated (for work) and no issues there from the R9000 perspective as well.

-The DoS attacks in the router logs appear to be mostly fallacious. To be thorough, though, I would probably vet in your environment to ensure it's not a real problem. For most users including myself, it's pretty misleading info.

-There are also some best practices specific to wireless, but since that's not applicable to your situation, I'll not mention them here.

Message 2 of 8
AnonymousScorpi
Aspirant

Awesome I will try changing the instant on feature. I did not have an Xbox prior to all this happening so that could be the problem. Thank you for your advice. Yes I did do a reset to factory settings I just did it via reset button on back. Yeah your right about year and a half ago lol. I looked at my old receipt and it was October of last year lol. Like I said I have lost my mind. The wireless seems to work fine. I will let you know if changing Xbox fixes my issue. Thank you again for your help!
Message 3 of 8
AnonymousScorpi
Aspirant

So Mighty_Putter you might be right. I turned off that ready on feature and so far no issues. I can't thank you enough. I know this is now a post more for Microsoft but I'm going to give it a shot here as well. Does anyone know of a work around for this issue. Microsoft gave me a list of ports to open but I'm a bit hesitant because I've never really been a fan of opening ports because of security issues. However if I must I must but just wanted to get some others opinion on it. Not even sure if it would help. Thank you again!
Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

The Instant On issue has been a problem on the Xbox 1 from day one with any Mfr router. Thats a MS issue. Not sure if it will ever be fixed. 

Message 5 of 8
Mighty_Putty
Apprentice

Glad it worked out 🙂  Like Furry mentioned, it seems to be more of a MS problem, and this appears to be only one of the issues generated by it. Saw a bunch of complaints on Reddit.

Just curious if the other wired devices are staying online now as well?

Message 6 of 8
AnonymousScorpi
Aspirant

Yes everything is working perfectly. I seriously can't thank you enough for that info. Everything stays connected and working as they should. That is one strange issue.
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements