Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

X10 - configure over wifi - how secure is it?

alokeprasad
Mentor

X10 - configure over wifi - how secure is it?

I have always disabled the "configure over wifi" feature of my routers (from Netgear or others) in the past.  I figured that this was more secure, as someone will need physical access to my wired LAN to change settings of my router.  However, I lose the ability to effectively use the iPhone apps, even when at home, to admin the device....

Should I continue that habit?  Am I being unneccesarily paranoid?

[Edit: I realize that if I use WPA2 encryption, someone will need to know my password to access my network over wifi.  However, my neighbor (or a van parked on the street) can brute-force password attacks over wifi.  Not broadcasting SSID is not an effective way for against packet sniffers]

Note: I will ALWAYS disable remote access (over internet/WAN) to the router.

Specific questions about the X10 (mine is on order):

1. Can I disable access to the router configuration over wireless?

2. Should I do that?

3. OT question: What is the default IP address of the router in the 192.168.x.x range? In case the http://www.routerlogin.net cannot be resolved..

4. Can I disable WPS connections?  Should I?

Thanks.

Aloke

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: X10 - configure over wifi - how secure is it?

@alokeprasad wrote:

I have always disabled the "configure over wifi" feature of my routers (from Netgear or others) in the past.  I figured that this was more secure, as someone will need physical access to my wired LAN to change settings of my router.  However, I lose the ability to effectively use the iPhone apps, even when at home, to admin the device....

[Edit: I realize that if I use WPA2 encryption, someone will need to know my password to access my network over wifi.  However, my neighbor (or a van parked on the street) can brute-force password attacks over wifi.  Not broadcasting SSID is not an effective way for against packet sniffers]

It's always good to be cautious and vigilant but it is relatively safe to use wireless.  I did, however, warn someone recently that it was a really bad idea to run with no encryption between two repeaters because he was sure his Wi-Fi signal was too weak to be picked up outside his house.  Smiley Sad

It is computationally impossible to brute-force a strong WPA2-PSK password.  "Strong" would be a random password of 16 characters or longer.  

No.

2. Should I do that?

N/A

3. OT question: What is the default IP address of the router in the 192.168.x.x range? In case the http://www.routerlogin.net cannot be resolved..

192.168.1.1.  Have a look at the online manual while you wait for it to arrive.

You cannot fully disable WPS, but you can disable the PIN-based method, which I recommend doing.  That still leaves the push-button method, but if you can physically secure access to your router, you will be ok.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Re: X10 - configure over wifi - how secure is it?

@alokeprasad wrote:

It's always good to be cautious and vigilant but it is relatively safe to use wireless.  I did, however, warn someone recently that it was a really bad idea to run with no encryption between two repeaters because he was sure his Wi-Fi signal was too weak to be picked up outside his house.  Smiley Sad

It is computationally impossible to brute-force a strong WPA2-PSK password.  "Strong" would be a random password of 16 characters or longer.  

No.

2. Should I do that?

N/A

192.168.1.1.  Have a look at the online manual while you wait for it to arrive.

You cannot fully disable WPS, but you can disable the PIN-based method, which I recommend doing.  That still leaves the push-button method, but if you can physically secure access to your router, you will be ok.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7