Tutor

X10 r9000 ethernet problems

Having a real issue with my second one of the x10's both having this problem from almost the very beginning, after a short space of time as little as a few hours to a few days the router will deny access to any device connected to Ethernet, it shows a physical connection but with no ip and no internet access Wi-Fi works fine. Rebooting the router fixes everything and works fine until the next time I've tried with a single device connected and multiple and also tried with qos on and off it's almost as if the dhcp fails as any computer connected gos to auto private address. I really don't want to have to lose this router as it's ideal for my network so if anybody has any suggestions that would be great.
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 70
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: X10 r9000 ethernet problems

Welcome to the community, @Dan094

Did you try to change already the Ethernet cables?

Sounds like a DHCP problem or could also be the LAN ports.

What's the firmware version installed on the router?

Did you try to use a different firmware version?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 2 of 70
Tutor

Hi ElaineM thanks for the quick reply, i have tried a few different ethernet cables just to be 100% sure however there is 5 devices plugged into the router by ethernet and all go down the same time except the nas 104 which is connected via aggregation and that appears to still work even when the other 4 lan ports shut off, i agree that it sounds like a dhcp problem but it would be very rare to have 2 identical problems on 2 routers? i am running firmware version 1.0.2.40 but before that the router came with 1.0.2.32 but problems have appeared on both. as i said i tried on the firmware it came with 1.0.2.32 but i havent tried going further back than that, i haave noticed on another thread that someone else was having this same issue and the advice was to turn off qos which i tried and had no effect. appriciate your help with this.

Message 3 of 70
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you try disabling Port Aggregation?

Will you experience the same if LAG is disabled?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 70
Tutor

Hi ElaineM, I have never enabled LAG so in all the tests I have done it has been with it turned off, I haven't tried with port aggregation off I must admit but didn't think it would be a problem as I have it connected to a readynas 104 which supports aggregation but I will disable and try and report back. Again thanks for all your help with this
Message 5 of 70
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You're welcome. Let us know any update.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 6 of 70
Tutor

Hi ElianeM, unfortunately if anything turning aggregation off has made it more frequent it's shutting off the Ethernets almost daily at the moment I have even tried connecting just the smartthings hub only by Ethernet to see if only one device would make a difference but again within a day or two I get a message on my phone saying smartthings is offline. I've been looking at the logs to see if there's anything strange is there anything in particular I should be looking for?? Cheers
Message 7 of 70
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What is your current network setup?

Can you provide a detailed diagram?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 8 of 70

Did you ever figure this out? I am having a similar issue, only my link aggregate works perfectly fine (this PC) but my server, PS4, Xbox, and Steam Link all can not access the internet. The router ackowledges they are there, they have valid IP's, but no internet access. Its like that for all my ports beyond 1&2 (link ports)

Message 9 of 70

I enaled DHCP server capability on my router and it seems to have fixed it; however, we will see if it is a permanent fix.

Message 10 of 70
Tutor

Hi sandford27 I've not come across an effective solution yet,I'm not too sure what you meant by dhcp capability with your solution do you mean you had dhcp turned off before? Mine has always been dhcp enabled. Just a quick question on that are you using some kind of switch with the router?
Message 11 of 70
Tutor

Hi ElaineM sorry I didn't reply sooner, this is how the network us setup: from the router I have thought Ethernet a Netgear 104 Nas drive in 2 ports dur to aggregation 1 Xbox 1 pc 1 Netgear 8 port switch and 1 virgin box (dvr cable box) from the switch I have a western digital Nas drive 1 tv a philips hue bridge and samsung smartthings hub everything else is either on 2.4 or 5ghz Wi-Fi, these will include 1 pc 2 phones av amp 1 tv 2 tablets a MacBook 1 Xbox 1 ps4 2 blurays a printer 2 logitech harmony hubs 2 Google homes. I have noticed also this past week that the occourances of the problem have become more frequent but sometimes the router will come of it's own accord normally I would have to reset to get the Ethernet back but maybe 30% of the time it will come back in it's own which makes even less sense. I hope by his information helps cheers
Message 12 of 70
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What's the model of the 8 port switch?

Since you mentioned that this is your second R9000, do you have another R9000 or this is a replacement router?

Also, have you registered the router? If not, kindly do so for us to easily log a case on the problem you're having.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 13 of 70
Tutor

Hi ElianeM the switch is a Netgear gs108 and yes this is my second router as a replacement however I have my previous Asus router which I did try and could not replicate the problem, I've also checked the recorded logs in the router but apart from the odd ddos record which as I understand can be a false positive does not show any record of the router shutting down either the Ethernet or the dhcp which strikes me as very strange. Yea I have registered both the router.
Thanks
Danny
Message 14 of 70
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Kindly PM me your customer ID number. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 15 of 70

Was there a fix found for this issue? It is infuriatingly annoying. I like netgear products but the fact that I spent right around $440 dollars on this router and that it has this issue is unnacceptable. Other routers work better for a lot lot cheaper. 

My customer ID is 26951343

When I said DHCP connection I was refering to the setting under LAN setup under the advanced tab. It says use router as DHCP server. I disabled it and re-enabled it and everything worked fine for a few days. 

Message 16 of 70
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Sandford27 How is your R9000 configured? Can you provide further information on how do you use your router? 

The original poster has his DHCP enabled all the time while yours is not. 

Kindly elaborate more on what issue you are having. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 17 of 70

I am having the same issue where my ethernet ports will stop working except for my aggregate ports. I have DHCP enabled all the time. If I turn it off then back on it will sometimes fix the issue without requiring a router restart. But the normal fix is restarting the router. I have my router plugged into my wall then have all but one port used. Two to my main desktop, one to my server, one to PS4, one to Xbox1, and then the open one. The apartment has a building modem so I don't have a modem. 

What will happen is everything except my main desktop will lose connection meaning I have to restart the router and then they will all have connection again. I have no issue with WiFi though.

Message 18 of 70
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Sandford27 What device is utilizing the LAG ports? 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 19 of 70
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same iissue; the ethernet posrt become inactive; connected to a printer; develo homeplug, imac and myhivehub*  2nd time in a week i have to reboot; the firmware version is 1.0.2.40

https://www.hivehome.com/

Message 20 of 70
Aspirant

I would like to share that I have the same issue. My R9000 is setup as the router connected to an ISP modem. The router is setup with DHCP for the devices on the network. I have the link aggregate setup connected to a Netgear ReadyNAS 214. The firmware version that I have is currently upgraded from 1.0.2.40 to 1.0.3.6. 

The router works well with no issues until the ethernet drops the DHCP to my workstation. There doesn't appear to be anything in the logs or visible. The lights blink both on my network adapter and the router for the connection but it won't receive a new IP address. I tried disabling the link aggregate, changing the DHCP settings and none of those options work. Only rebooting the router temporarily for a period of time works. The ethernet connected devices are an Xbox, Apple TV, the ReadyNAS. On the wireless side there are 7 devices (ipads, phones, scanner, printer). 

While being unable to get the DHCP on the workstation, the wireless still works for the other devices. 

Message 21 of 70
Apprentice

I have the same problem. 

Ethernet connections do not work. If I reboot the router, everything works fine, until next day. 

The router has the latest firmware installed. I have an Apple TV and an LG TV hard wired directly to the router, and both of them show the ethernet connection as not working. The WiFi works, so there are no internet issues from the provider. The router is connected to an Optimum modem (Arris TM 1602). There are no issues with the internet from Optimum. Weirdly enough, I was having problems with WiFi connections dropping constantly, as many other users noticed in various threads. Now the WiFi seems to hold but the Ethernet doesn't. 

There are no issues with the ethernet cables. I tested them with connections directly from the modem and they work as they should.

I don't think paying almost $500 for this router justifies rebooting the router every day just to get a working Ethernet connection. As many other users, I feel like this was the worst purchase I made. The support options for in-warranty products offered by Netgear are a complete joke. I don't expect a Netgear representative will read this or even reply to my message, as my other post regarding the WiFi issues went unanswered. Just to stress that again: my product is still in warranty but I am not able to get support for it unless I pay at least $90 after the 90 days from the purchase date. That's ridiculous. 

Message 22 of 70
Aspirant

I also had the same issue with the wifi dropping. Can you see if your device is really hot to the touch? I found that my device was getting hot to the touch while in a normal room temperature environment. The fix for me on this issue was finding a way to resolve the overheating of the device. I did the following steps....

1) http://routerlogin.net/debug.htm

2) Change the fan RPM to 4000

3) Change the temperature range for all of the items high to 55

4) Change the temperate range for all of the low items to 35

Once I finished these steps the temperature of the device dropped and no longer did I have to reset my device or miss out on the wifi dropping. 

Message 23 of 70
Apprentice

My router doesn't feel hot when touched. The WiFi issues stopped after I enabled Smart Connect (Advanced, Wireless Setup). However, now I have issues with the Ethernet connections.

Message 24 of 70
Aspirant

Thank you for checking! It seems that we have the same setup with the LG TV and Apple TV. I've updated both the Apple TV and the LG TV to their latest software update. Since I disconnected the LG TV and Soundbar from the router, I set them up on the wireless while keeping the Apple TV connected I haven't had the ethernet connection drop again today so far. 

What I am noticing though in the log file, it seems that the Apple TV keeps pinging the router for the DHCP address. I attached a picture to show the details. I wonder if there is something with the LG TV software that makes the router freeze. I'll keep monitoring and if I find anything further I'll post here. 

Message 25 of 70
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 69 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements