Re: X10 r9000 ethernet problems

rrnyc
Apprentice

Interesting. Please keep me posted if disconnecting the LG TV keeps your Ethernet working for a few days. Both the LG TV and Apple TV have the latest software. I keep them hard-wired because I get faster speeds on both devices, especially on the Apple TV 4K, so I can take advantage of the 400 Mbps from my ISP. That doesn't really mean anything for my LG TV B6 because it doesn't support more than 100 Mbps anyway.

I noticed the same activity in the logs with the Apple TV, but since I don't know what that means, I kinda ignored it.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 26 of 70
Shakingtwo
Aspirant

I just updated the Apple TV to 11.2.5 the latest update that came out yesterday. My device just finally recognized that there was an update. I have reconnected all of the devices back to the router, and the Apple TV has stopped adding those entries to the log. The only change that I've done from the prior installation was move the devices to different ethernet ports and disable link aggregation. 

Ports 1 and 2 I left open, ports 3, 4, 5 I've used for the TV, Apple TV, and the SoundBar. 

I'm starting to have the feeling that ports 1 and 2 due to the link aggregation feature is the root cause of the ethernet dropping. If the option Enable (LACP- IEEE 802.3ad) is selected the device tries to figure out if the devices are compliant and join the two ports together. Disabling the option, and further not using the ports so far everything is working again properly! 

Message 27 of 70
rrnyc
Apprentice

I'm trying your suggestion as well. Let's see if it works.

Message 28 of 70
rrnyc
Apprentice

Yes, I realized I'm not the only one experiencing these issues. Obviously, this was a bad purchase and Netgear will not be a brand I'll be purchasing from again.

Message 29 of 70
schumaku
Guru

@Case850 wrote:

I guess there are two issues. The first is the 802.11ad gamble is a loss.

Not wearing your or glasses today? Nobody does talk about 802.11ad, please be so nice and looping this on every new R9000 thread repeatedly. Those who have 802.11ad clients are happy it exists and it works amazingly. The others should not have to care. The 802.11ad is not an issue - it's a correctly working feature. The OP does talk on the 802.3ad dynamic link aggregation (with LACP) available to configure on the GbE switch ports #1 and #2, a feature he enabled to bring up a LAG spanning both ports to his ReadyNAS.

@Shakingtwo wrote:

I'm starting to have the feeling that ports 1 and 2 due to the link aggregation feature is the root cause of the ethernet dropping. If the option Enable (LACP- IEEE 802.3ad) is selected the device tries to figure out if the devices are compliant and join the two ports together. Disabling the option, and further not using the ports so far everything is working again properly! 

What's the firmware version on your R9000 and the ReadyNAS btw.? Edit: I see 1.0.3.6 in the tags.

We're currently running a static LAG to an S8000 (GS808E) switch and don't experience what looks like repeated Ethernet disconnects and DHCP (re-)assignments.

Assuming no cables are mis-routed ... The ReadyNAS (and the R9000) don't show any issues ref. the 802.3ad LAG? You can check the current bonding status from the NAS as well as from the R9000 shell, see below.

If re-configuring the NAS and the router to a static LAG (Balance-XOR on the ReadyNAS), do you continue to see the same issue?

TIme permitting, I might be able to reconfig the network for a test and connect an LACP capable NAS (not a RN however, direct to the R9000).

Example of the full status available on the ReadyNAS - there is or are a similar  /proc/net/bonding/bond[n] entries on the R9000:

root@RNxxx:~# cat /proc/net/bonding/bond0
Ethernet Channel Bonding Driver: v3.7.1 (April 27, 2011)

Bonding Mode: IEEE 802.3ad Dynamic link aggregation
Transmit Hash Policy: layer2 (0)
MII Status: up
MII Polling Interval (ms): 100
Up Delay (ms): 0
Down Delay (ms): 0

802.3ad info
LACP rate: slow
Min links: 0
Aggregator selection policy (ad_select): stable
System priority: 65535
System MAC address: 84:<snip>:aa
Active Aggregator Info:
Aggregator ID: 1
Number of ports: 2
Actor Key: 9
Partner Key: 1008
Partner Mac Address: 2c:<snip>:80

Slave Interface: eth0
Speed: 1000 Mbps
Duplex: full
Link Failure Count: 0
Permanent HW addr: 84:<snip>:aa
Slave queue ID: 0
Actor Churn State: none
Partner Churn State: none
Actor Churned Count: 0
Partner Churned Count: 0
details actor lacp pdu:
system priority: 65535
system mac address: 84:<snip>:aa
port key: 9
port priority: 255
port number: 1
port state: 61
details partner lacp pdu:
system priority: 32768
system mac address: 2c:<snip>:80
oper key: 1008
port priority: 128
port number: 17

Slave Interface: eth1
Speed: 1000 Mbps
Duplex: full
Link Failure Count: 0
Permanent HW addr: 84:<snip>:ab
Slave queue ID: 0
Actor Churn State: none
Partner Churn State: none
Actor Churned Count: 0
Partner Churned Count: 0
details actor lacp pdu:
system priority: 65535
system mac address: 84:<snip>:aa
port key: 9
port priority: 255
port number: 2
details partner lacp pdu:
system priority: 32768
system mac address: 2c:<snip>:80
oper key: 1008
port priority: 128
port number: 18

Message 30 of 70
Shakingtwo
Aspirant

Good morning everyone, to clarify the issue that I was having was that randomly the ethernet ports would completely stop working. The wireless and everything would still function. What I believe was the issue, was connecting a TV and Apple TV to ports 1 and 2. The default setup within the router either was setup with LAG on, or perhaps I had set it up and forgot about it. When connecting those devices they worked for a period of time and then it would randomly stop working. 

I beleive it was a configuration issue, and not the quality of the router. Since I turned off LAG and used differnt ports for the devices I haven't had any further issues within the past 24 hours. 

Message 31 of 70
schumaku
Guru

@Shakingtwo wrote:

What I believe was the issue, was connecting a TV and Apple TV to ports 1 and 2. The default setup within the router either was setup with LAG on, or perhaps I had set it up and forgot about it. 

Of course operating sinlge devices on ports configued as a bond (LAG) can't work reliably. The LAG is created by software (Linux bonding), two of the switch ports are "passed" direct to the processor. And no - the default is sinlge ports, neither static nor 802.3ad LACP bonding. Whatever side effects this can cause - I don't know.

Message 32 of 70
Shakingtwo
Aspirant

After three days of running smooth, this morning I had to reboot the router again since the ethernet connection dropped. There is nothing in the log file to track, any thoughts on additional ways to troubleshoot this issue or capture some information that would help understanding why my device keeps dropping the ethernet connection? 

Message 33 of 70
rrnyc
Apprentice

Same problem here. None of the previous suggestions helped. The Ethernet connection still drops once a day and the router needs to be rebooted daily to fix the Ethernet problem. Are any of the Netgear people reading these forums? If so, please provide an answer. 

Message 34 of 70
FGW
Aspirant
Aspirant

I returned mine to Amazon in the end and they gave me a full refund no questions asked; the replacement appears to be working fine which suggests that there may be a hardware issue during manuufacturing.   If still under warranty is it worth contacting Netgear or the vendor for a replacement?

Message 35 of 70
rrnyc
Apprentice

Mine is under warranty, but passed the return window. To get in touch with Netgear support after the initial 90 days, they're asking for at least $90 to actually speak with someone. With so many posts in these forums about WiFi and Ethernet issues with this router, I think it's not just a hardware problem. 

Message 36 of 70
Shakingtwo
Aspirant

I believe that I found the root cause of the ethernet network dropping, and it's likely the Apple 4K TV device spamming DHCP requests to the router and somehow creating a conflict that takes out the network. There are a few discussion threads out there that mentions the Apple TV spamming the routers. In particular this one comment mentions that it's knocking out the network in similar fashion. 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8124607

When I viewed the log file, you can see the Apple TV keeps requesting an IP address from the router. What I have done now, is to manually assign the Apple TV an IP address. So far today, I haven't had to do a hard reboot on the router. Fingers crossed that this might help and prevent having to keep rebooting my R9000! 

Message 37 of 70
schumaku
Guru

After the MDNS nightmare Google created on Chromecast, after having the very similar issue last summer on the Nexus Player already, and the DHCP issues Apple TV (3) had some years ago - I don't trust them anymore. But then, all these ATV3 DHCP issues are back from about 2014 isn't it?

Message 38 of 70
Liscome98
Guide

Re: X10 r9000 internet speed problems

I could only get 70Mbps a sec .... on a 100 mbps connection..

tried changing the mtu... didn’t work...

tried updating the firmware “ again “ and also hard restarting ..... didn’t work ....

so now I get to try a new one.....

I will let you know.

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 39 of 70
rrnyc
Apprentice

Please keep us posted if this worked for you. I still have to reboot every day. And Netgear people, if you're reading this, feel free to jump in anytime. We are still your customers with hardware still under warranty. 

Message 40 of 70
Liscome98
Guide

wrote:

@Liscome98, do you have a R9000 or R6900(see your footer)?

R9000

Message 41 of 70
Liscome98
Guide

wrote:

Please keep us posted if this worked for you. I still have to reboot every day. And Netgear people, if you're reading this, feel free to jump in anytime. We are still your customers with hardware still under warranty. 

I will definitely let you guys know.... I have a old r7000 that gets me a 110 mbps connection ...sooooo I will use that untill they send me a new one..

Message 42 of 70
Liscome98
Guide

wrote:

wrote:

I could only get 70Mbps a sec .... on a 100 mbps connection..

tried changing the mtu... didn’t work...

tried updating the firmware “ again “ and also hard restarting ..... didn’t work ....

so now I get to try a new one.....

I will let you know.

@Liscome98

How are you testing the speed of your Internet connection? If you are testing via a Ethernet attached PC make sure it is running at 1000 Mbps and see if that makes a difference to your Internet speed.

I am running a cat6 hardline , from the modem and getting 119 mbps , but hardline and WiFi from the r9000 

70 to 80 mbps ...... but from my old r7000 WiFi I still get 112 mbps

Message 43 of 70
chadmit
Aspirant

I am having the same problems with my DHCP server.  I thought it was firmware so I updated the router with the latest.   The problem got worse so I decided to reset my router and back the firmware back to the original  V1.0.0.68.    The router worked great for a couple weeks.   Now I got problems again.  The router would get up to 30+ devices and nothing else would connect to it.   I looked at the logs and I would see the devices continually try to get IP addresses.   I attached a pic of my log.  You can see 10.0.0.107 continually tries to connect.   Any ideas what I should do.   What a PITA device.    

Message 44 of 70
rrnyc
Apprentice

For everyone experiencing issues with their Ethernet connection on R9000, the following worked for me and solved my problem: I am using a Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch which I plugged into the Netgear router R9000. I plugged all my devices directly into the switch and I haven't had any Ethernet issues since. The multiple DHCP requests from Apple TV 4K are still there, but they do not affect the Ethernet connections like before. 

Message 45 of 70
Shakingtwo
Aspirant

I found a similar solution to avoid using an additional switch. I created a vlan and put the Apple TV 4k on it's own network. Seperating the device on it's own network my internet browsing is super fast and no more ethernet drops! 

Message 46 of 70
rrnyc
Apprentice

From the router logs, there is a flood of DHCP requests made by Apple TV 4K. From what I've found in numerous threads on Apple's support pages, this is a known issue from older generation of Apple TV and its software version. The solution given there was to use a network switch, which also worked for me. I am attaching a screenshot of the router log, where "LIVING ROOM" is the name of my Apple TV 4K.

Message 47 of 70
rrnyc
Apprentice

I found at least 5 threads, and for some people the issue was fixed after the last OS update. I had the latest OS version, and still experienced Ethernet issues. Using a switch was the solution that worked for me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/721tlq/apple_tv_4k_ethernet_issue/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8081451

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8103644

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8111390

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8095694

Message 48 of 70
rrnyc
Apprentice

Do you have an Apple TV connected via Ethernet? If so, look at my newest posts on this thread.

Message 49 of 70
rrnyc
Apprentice

Four out of the five threads are talking about Apple TV 4K. The issue with DHCP requests and Ethernet issue goes back all the way to 2012. Seems like an issues that sticks with newer hardware/software. These issues are not limited to Netgear routers, if you're actually reading these posts. These are just my observations from other posts available from a simple search. Of course, you can do your own research and decide what's conclusive to you. 

Message 50 of 70
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 69 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E