Apprentice

Re: X10 r9000 ethernet problems

That message wasn't for you. It was for a different user with the same issue.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 51 of 70
Apprentice

My answer was a reply to your message 58.

Message 52 of 70
Aspirant

We do not have a apple tv on our network so this is not the issue of the dhcp server failing. Any other ideas why after a certain number of devices 30+ any subsequent device continues to fail connecting?
Message 53 of 70
Aspirant

@Case850In the router I setup the vlan / bridging. And then selected the port in that feature that had the Apple TV connected. Changing that setting the Apple TV gets an entirely different IP address from the rest of the network with Windows PC's and other devices. The interesting thing about this situation, I never had a problem until I brought the Apple TV 4k home and installed the device. The previous network everything was the same, removing the Apple TV the network stays stable. 

There are no logs or anything to trace, the little information in the log was that the Apple TV keeps requesting a DHCP address every 5-10 seconds. Browsing the internet with my PC's Microsoft Edge would always show when browsing to a site "waiting for response" for a second or two, changing that vlan setting and having everything seperate there is 0 waiting and everything loads crisp and fast. 

There never seemed to be a resolution changing the software, updating it or upgrading the firmware of the router. The impact was always randomly the wired network connections would completely drop and resetting the device was the only way to recover the network connections. 

Adding a switch connecting to the router also would solve the issue. Removing the extra switch and plugging all of the devices into the switch ports of the router the network connection would randomly drop. I don't know what other tool I could use to help diagnose this experience, I don't know if it's the router, the switch ports on the router, the firmware, or the Apple TV 4k causing this to happen. The previous Apple TV device older generation this would not happen. 

Message 54 of 70
Guru

@Shakingtwowrote:

@Case850In the router I setup the vlan / bridging. And then selected the port in that feature that had the Apple TV connected. Changing that setting the Apple TV gets an entirely different IP address from the rest of the network with Windows PC's and other devices. 

Whatever you have configured here - and don' t know what you've done Robot Mad

Bridging a switch port does establish a software bridge beween the Internet/WAN port and the selected swich port. If adding a VLAN ID, the port is linked to a VLAN on the ISP side, used ie. to isolate Internet or IPTV or Voice (each has dedicated QoS methods - thus the ISP are making a differentiation). Whatever IP address is assigned ATV4, this can be a public IP, a carrier grade NAT address, or with lazy ISP a RFC 1918 - in either case your ATV4 can unlikely transparently communicate with other systems on the (W)LAN anymore. If there is a problem with the ATV4, you have moved the problem somehow to your ISPs infrastructure.

Message 55 of 70
Aspirant

@Case850When I setup the settings as below, I setup the network yesterday and today I had to reset the router again. Giving the Apple TV a static IP address still affects something on my network causing all of the physical ethernet connections to the back of the switch of the router to lose their internet connection. Any device on the wireless still works, it's only with devices plugged directly into the router. 

Message 56 of 70
Aspirant

@Case850All of the suggestions below have been followed. I can confirm that the LAG is not setup, and the Apple TV is plugged into another port (not port 1 or 2). The fixed IP address was set on the Apple TV itself. And the R9000 has the latest firmware update now as of today R9000 Firmware Version 1.0.3.10

Message 57 of 70
Aspirant

@Case850Thank you so much for all of the suggestions, the firmware update and factory reset hasn't made a difference. I had to reboot the device again today. I don't know what possibly could be the issue, it's absolutely maddening having to reboot the device when the wired network stops working. I've noticed too, that when this happens the network connections on the PC stay active. The IP address remains, and none of the wired devices are able to access the internet On the PC troubleshooter when this happens recommends to reboot the router. 

I feel like it's narrowed down to the Apple 4k TV, but unable to figure out if it's the actual Apple TV that is the issue or is it the router. Or is the Apple TV causing the router to stop working by sending out some type of request or something that locks it up. 

Message 58 of 70
Aspirant

@Case850The static IP address stopped the DHCP requests in the log. The Apple TV version is 11.2.6. I have an R8000 router that I can test with, I'll perhaps give that a try next week. In the meantime my home network is growing so I'll be adding a switch and moving all of my devices off the router.  

Message 59 of 70
Aspirant

HELLO.
The current computer and switch are configured in the same network.
When I try to update the firmware, I get the following error.

캡처.JPG

Model: S8000| Nighthawk Gaming & Streaming Switch
Message 60 of 70
Master

Hi JUNI,

Have you tried to manually update the firmware of the router?

Message 61 of 70
Guru

@JUNI wrote:

When I try to update the firmware, I get the following error.

캡처.JPG

This is the S8000/GS808E switch Web UI. When I remember right, the older firmware as in place was a little bit picky on Web browsers when it came to the firmware upload/installation - try using Internet Explorer (permitting you are working on Windows) or Chrome. 

@JamesGL - the GS808E switch does not have an automatic online firmware update feature.

Message 62 of 70
Tutor

Would you care to elaborate on how you created a vlan to accomplish this?

Message 63 of 70
Tutor

Netgear helped me finally resolve this issue. I changed my DNS Address settings from "get automatically from ISP" to "Use these DNS Servers". Primary was set to 8.8.8.8 and secondary set to 8.8.4.4.

My wired Apple TV still keeps sending a boatload of DHCP requests, but they no longer crash the ethernet.

Message 64 of 70
Aspirant

In my experience, it's the Apple TV that causes the R9000 router to crash. I set the Apple TV to a static IP address to stop the DHCP requests. Hopefully, there is a firmware update that Netgear or Apple TV update that is coming to resolve the issues for the Netgear routers. I still to this day cannot get my R9000 to run stable and have since switched to an ASUS AC-3100, with no issues with the same setup.  

Message 65 of 70
Aspirant

Today my X10 router lost the internet for no known reason. Still puts out a strong connected wi-fi signal, but no internet connection. Wired computer internet OK.  Latest software update.  Nighthawk app is worse then the genie app. Tried reboot & changed eth cord. Not a happy camper. It's a recent new purchase from Amazon & pricey.

Message 66 of 70
Aspirant

Same for me except reboot doesn't help, nor does a new connection.

Message 67 of 70
Aspirant

Ditto for me.

Message 68 of 70
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello catskhiker

Have you tried to revert back to an older firmware?

DarrenM

Message 69 of 70
Tutor

My “fix” was short lived as the dropping Ethernet connections crept back in. The ultimate solution was switching to a Ubiquiti AmpliFi router; not a single problem in over 5 months now.
Message 70 of 70
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 69 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements