X4S R7800 5GHZ Substantially Slower than Expected

k_roth
Tutor

X4S R7800 5GHZ Substantially Slower than Expected

I recently upgraded to 250mbps internet from Comcast and along with that excitedly purchased a new Netgear modem and the R7800 router. However, upon getting everything set up the wifi speeds are much slower than I anticipated: I will very often get speeds around 10mbps, and then go on streaks where it it below 1mpbs. 

There have been a few times where the wifi speed was where I expected, around 150mbps, with a few tests hitting just over 200mbps, but in the majority of tests it is below 30 and usually below 10 as I mentioned above. 

The 2.4ghz band is much more consistently around 80mbps and occasionally getting up to around 130mbps. Still slower than I expected, but at least this band usually doesn't display the incredibly slow <1mbps behavior the 5ghz band does.

When I run speed tests in the R7800 admin menu (using routerlogin.net) I have never seen a test below 290mbps, so it appears the speed is consistently getting to the router (the modem or internet is not the issue).

I am using an iMac and IOS to test - both these devices are fairly new. I do see Apple software has had issues in the past, but from what I can tell these were addressed in the most recent firmware update. I am running V1.0.2.04.

These speed test results occur when I have line of sight to the router, and am within 5 feet. I am in an apartment complex, and there are 22 other wifi networks in the vicinity 8 on the 5ghz band and 14 on the 2.4ghz band. Most of the 5ghz networks are on channel 48, 149 or 153. I have tried adjusting my channel and this does not seem to have an impact.

Overall, I was just hoping to get some opinions. Is 5ghz really this inconsistent still? Does this sound like some sort of firmware issue that hopefully will get addressed in a future update? I haven't seen any other complaints about this extreme of speed discrepancies using this router, but are others experiencing this?

It doesn’t seem like I live in that dense of an apt complex (I am on the first floor, and there are only 2 floors in the building, one row of units. Does it sound like the other traffic in the area could significantly impact the speed?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: X4S R7800 5GHZ Substantially Slower than Expected

Hi @k_roth,

1. What is the firmware version of the router?

2. Have you tried resetting the router?

3. Have you tried re-flashing the latest firmware?

4. Have you tested other firmware version/s?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 8
k_roth
Tutor

Hi DexterJB,

Thank you for the reply!

I tried resetting the x4s as you suggested, and that appears to return things to normal for a few days - however then the problem returns and I have to reset the router again. 

I am using firmware version v1.0.2.04 and have not tried re-flashing the latest firmware yet, but will do that now. I was hoping just the reset would work for awhile but this morning the internet was back to its old slow ways.

What is interesting is that when the router has slow performance, the speed test will start out around 10-20mbps and then quickly deflate to 1-2 mbps and then hold that for the remainder of the test. After a reset of the router, and then for a few days, the speed test will still start out around 10-20mbps, but then quickly gain steam to around 250mpbs and these results are repeatable over many tests each day. The router and all devices remained in the same spot for these tests.

I am hesitant to use older firmware versions because I do have two IOS devices as my primary devices and previous firmware versions had known issues with that correct?

I will try refreshing the firmware and in the meantime hope a future firmware update fixes the issue long term. It is annoying to have to reset the router every few days, but not the end of the world. It is pretty amazing to have 250+mbps over wireless when things are working! All devices felt incredibly snappy for the last few days.

Message 3 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @k_roth,

Thank you for the update. Please keep us posted on the results of the firmware re-flash. Also, I would like to confirm if the wired connection through the router is affected.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 8
k_roth
Tutor

Hi @DexterJB,

Firmware reflash did not seem to have an impact. I ended up trying a variety of past firmware versions to see if any of those would make a difference but none really did. Wired connection to the router has been really stable and consistently at great speeds (290+ mbps).

I think today I may have identified the issue though - it seems like channel does make a tremendous difference. Using the netgear genie to scan traffic, I have been able to reproduce the really slow speeds on high traffic channels, and then gain close to wired speeds on low traffic channels. Will continue to play around with this to see if I can maintain consistently high speeds this way. I thought modern routers would manage this automatically?  I see an 'auto' option for 2.4ghz but not for 5ghz.  Right now channel 157 is open and I have been enjoying good speeds there (200+ mbps over wireless).

Message 5 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @k_roth,

Thank you for the update. We do highly recommend setting the channel with less interference. Please keep us posted if you are still in the process of further testing and observation.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 8
Amaymon999
Aspirant

i have the same issue i believe its partly netgears fault for put a router out with prototype technology that doesnt work properly if at all. plus it has to do with the internet service providers on paper everthing is better an fast but in all reality it is worse an slower cause they do nuthing to update there technology to actually make it betterand more reliable paying for 130 MBs rarley get above 20. factory reset fixes but only temporaliy for a couple days. netgear has countless problems with there routers, there is a fix and wont be unless ur providers quit trying to scam u saying it does this win it doesnt. i also have problems with there wifi adapter its a $60 piece of junk that only works 5% of the time it wont work with its app at all will not detect it. by wat research i have done there are so many problems woth netgear win u cantact them they act like theyll try an get it fixed but once ur done talking to the it never happens there are over 1300 problems netgear has on there forums an none to my knowledge has been fixed. asus seems to be the way to go for routers an wiresless products been doing some research on them technology in it all seems to work properly dont ever hear much of any problems going on with them, there routers look better then netgears and performs 5 to 10 times betteer at least for the same amount of money. last netgear product i buy unless they get there **bleep** together in the next 3 months i have seen one update for this router released since i got it about a year ago mumimo tech doesnt actually work in it all so wast off money there bigger processer doesnt mean anything. win it wont utilize it right. p.s. worked properly the first day it got brought home and connected next day not even close to perfomance i should be doing, an the dynamic qos is horrible it actually causes your performance with netgear products worse than better like its suppose to so i recomend keeping that off as well.

Message 7 of 8

What helped my issue on 5Ghz was to turn off beamforming and use channel 157.  I get consistent speeds over 300.   I have Cox 300/30 plan and get up to 360 on wireless which is about the same as hard wired.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements