Re: X4S R7800 as VPN server

TeoNG70
Aspirant

X4S R7800 as VPN server

Hello,

I have a very basic question on VPN. I want to setup VPN on my router (OpenVPN), not to remotely access devices on my home LAN but rather to bypass geographic restrictions of some services when i travel abroad.

Can i assume that once VPN is setup (as per the instructions available) the router will act as a VPN server and that's all I need to keep up and runnig at home, i.e. there is no need to keep a machine (acting as VPN server) at home constantly connected to my router in order to have the VPN up and running?

Thanks,

TeoNG70

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

To quote one of Netgear's technical people:

A VPN server allows you to connect to your home network or use your router as a proxy

A VPN client allows to anonymize the traffic to your ISP.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 11
TeoNG70
Aspirant

A VPN server allows you to connect to your home network or use your router as a proxy

Thanks,

so would this router act as a VPN server and allow me "hide" my real location, without the need for a separate VPN server on my home LAN (e.g. a windows machine)? For sure i will need to use  a corresponding VPN client on the device that i will use to access remotely.

Message 3 of 11
JohnDire
Aspirant

There are many factors which you should take into consideration while choose the best VPN service but looking through many vpn review sites it looks like expressvpn and nordvpn are the best solutions. But I wouldn’t trust much to these sites as the ratings is based on the editor’s score only, so the owner of the sites may get some compensation for advertising these two. The only site I found more or less “honest” is VeePN  in regards of the best VPNs, the thing is that their overall score depends from combination of editor’s and user’s score, so looks like the more/less truth. Another good thing about vpnhint is that they have a side-by-side vpn comparison chart, can be useful for beginners. I personally use hidemyass for about 2 years and couldn’t face any serious issues.

Message 4 of 11
pec967
Luminary

There is a setting in the R7800 VPN confguration that will allow you to access your home Internet service. The R7800 user manual has step-by-step instructions on how to set up what is normally referred to as "hair-pinning," where the network traffic comes in from your OpenVPN connection and then makes a "hair-pin" turn to go out to the Internet. Once the traffic is hair-pinned, it will look like it is coming from your home router.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 5 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Extending @pec967 information, you have to configure your VPN client on the travelling device to use the VPN as the default route for the Internet access - otherwise only the traffic intended for the home-router connected LAN IP subnet will go to the VPN.

Message 6 of 11
TeoNG70
Aspirant

Hello,

thank you all for the further feedback. I have another basic question. Currently I can only connect my R7800 to a modem/router provided by my ISP. It seems that my ISP uses a fixed IP @ (which is one of the options for enabling the VPN Service on the R7800, the other one being the use of a DDNS service).

Now, if i want to use the fixed IP @ option I am unsure if i can do soin the "Internet Setup" page of the R7800, when between the modem and the R7800 I have a router; the R7800 see IP address of the router as 192.168.0.1 and it is assigned the LAN IP @ 192.168.0.10, as in the picture attached.

Thanks in advance for any advice

R7800, FW v1.0.2.62

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 7 of 11

@TeoNG70 wrote:

Now, if i want to use the fixed IP @ option I am unsure if i can do soin the "Internet Setup" page of the R7800, when between the modem and the R7800 I have a router; the R7800 see IP address of the router as 192.168.0.1 and it is assigned the LAN IP @ 192.168.0.10, as in the picture attached.

Do not confuse the internal (LAN) IP address (the 192.XXX.X.X stuff) with the one that your ISP gives you on the Internet (WAN).

Your diagram shows two routers on your network. That is a recipe for chaos and confusion.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. But some Internet service providers, such as BT in the UK, supply modem/routers that won't work in bridge mode. There may be ways to get the modem/router to cooperate, but sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

As to the WAN IP address, if you go to the Internet Setup page in the browser graphical user interface (GUI), you will see an entry for Internet IP Address. That is where you fill in the Static IP Address that you got from the ISP.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 8 of 11
TeoNG70
Aspirant

@michaelkenward 

Thank you so much for the thorough feedback.

The difference between the ISP WAN and LAN is clear. Believe me, I would get rid of the first router if could as i do not have any motivation to keep it, but connecting the R7800 directly to the modem does not work. I have to use the router provided by the ISP (not wireless). I am based in Japan and some ISPs seems not so flexible. I did not investigate yet logs to understand the actual reason i do not get the link up when i connect the R800 directly to the modem and if there is a way round it; I will have to spend some time on that too.

I do appreciate that using two routers is strongly discouraged; on the other hand I have not seen conflicts with the two routers and not suffered major issues so far, so i was hoping to find the way to use the VPN service from the R7800; hence my original question if setting the fixed IP@ (from the ISP) in the R7800 admin page we both mentioned will work, considering that i have the other router in the middle.

Regarding the use of the R7800 as AP rather than router, that would defy the very purpose of this thread (using the VPN service of the R7800), as VPN is only available when the unit is used in router mode.

Message 9 of 11

What is this modem from the ISP?

Many modem/routers have the ability to bypass the router bit and to put them into bridge mode.

There may be other options, but without full details we are all left guessing.

Just another user.

Message 10 of 11
TeoNG70
Aspirant

The ISP provide two boxes:

- A Modem from fro mthe optic fiber to the router. I have no idea of the manufacturer or model as there is no label indicating that or way for me to login

- A router named Aterm BL900HW (I believe made from NEC). This i can login as admin.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements