Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

X6 R7850 Can't Update Firmware

BradHgt
Follower

X6 R7850 Can't Update Firmware

.I have a Netgear Nighthawk X^ R7850 ... Bought it last year. It is currently running firmware Rev 1.0.4.46_10.0.2. For weeks/months now, it has been telling me that there's a firmware upgrade for the device ... Rev 1.0.5.68_10.1.75. I have told the device repeatedly to "Auto" the update, but it never does. I've tried this both through the Nighthawk app on my phone, and by logging into the router directly through a web browser, It doesn't matter what web browser, either ... I've used them all to try to do this (Edge, Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Opera). When I try the "Auto" route, I never get an error message, I just don't get the update loaded and operational.

I've ALSO tried to download the update manually, and there I *DO* get  an error message ... "This firmware file is incorrect! Please get this firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product." This is what happens when I try to manually install file "R7850-V1.0.5.68_10.1.75.chk". Screenshot of the error attached.

What IS the effing problem here?

Thanks In Advance!

Brad Harrington,

Liberty Computer Service

Message 1 of 6

Re: X6 R7850 Can't Update Firmware

@BradHgt wrote:

I've ALSO tried to download the update manually, and there I *DO* get  an error message ... "This firmware file is incorrect! Please get this firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product." This is what happens when I try to manually install file "R7850-V1.0.5.68_10.1.75.chk". Screenshot of the error attached.

It may sound like a stupid question on my part, but you have unzipped the firmware and been through this process?

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I ask because too many people arrive here with problems because they tried to "open" the firmware.

One thing to try, you are jumping several firmware versions. Three years' worth. Netgear sometimes makes big changes that require an intermediate step before the latest will stick.

By the way, you might want to read the release notes for your version. It seems to have removed a lot of features:

R7850 Firmware Version 1.0.4.46 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Heaven only knows what they have done since then.

Message 2 of 6
joseosanchez
Aspirant

Dis you guys got this resolved? If so how? I am having the same issue.

Thank you

Jose
Message 3 of 6
TexasBlack
Aspirant

I kept getting the same firmware error when I tried to load the latest version. I got it to work after a few tries. You have to update from 1.0.4.46 to 1.0.5.48 first (the next firmware version in the upgrade sequence). After you're successfully on 1.0.5.48 you can jump to 1.0.5.74.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 4 of 6
joseosanchez
Aspirant

Great that is good news.  Do you know where to get the previous versions of the firmware?  I can only find the latest one in the netgear website.

Thank you

Message 5 of 6

@joseosanchez wrote:

Do you know where to get the previous versions of the firmware?  I can only find the latest one in the netgear website.

I don't know where you were looking for firmware, but visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and you there should be a library of firmware that stretches back to the original release. Take your pick and then follow these instructions:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7