X6 R7900 slow on 1-5G connection but not both

zoltarspeaks
Tutor

X6 R7900 slow on 1-5G connection but not both

I have a Netgear X6 R7900 - latest firmware.  Wireless is configured for 1-2.4 and 2-5G AP's and my problems are with the 2nd 5G connection wireless speed.

5G-1 is configured for Channel 48.  5G-2 is configured for Channel 157 but have tried various channels with no difference.  ISP is Verizon Gigabit.

When I connect my Samsung Note 9 (same issues with previous phone/Note 8) to 5G-1, Speedtest app shows 300Mbps+ speed.  5G-2 wont get past 30Mpbs.  Tried multiple times switching 5G-2 to different channels.

So what gives?

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
zoltarspeaks
Tutor

Re: X6 R7900 slow on 1-5G connection but not both

FWIW - I saw other posts here about slowness on other, similar routers and those replies don't apply (In fact, one that says "solved" is NOT solved - the last reply was "I will check into it" but never said their problem was resolved).

No, I do not have QOS turned on (killed that long ago). 

The "click here to see bandwidth utilization by device and application" shows me neither.  All it shows is what device is connected to the router" - nothing about utilization.

There are only 2-devices using 5G - my smartphone (on the faster 5G-1) and my wifes on the other (5G-2) so overutilzation is not the issue.

Message 2 of 6
zoltarspeaks
Tutor

FWIW, I just accidentaly figured this out on my own.  On the Advanced - QoS page (QoS is NOT enabled) - there is a WMM (WiFi Multimedia) TAB/page with settings for each WiFi Band.  The third checkbox ( Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings Second Radio (5GHz a/n) ) was NOT checked.  Checking this option and rebooting the router now gives me full speed on BOTH 5Ghz bands (SpeedTest on my Samsung Note 9 now clocks in at >300Mbs on both 5G connections whereas with this option unchecked, I only got ~90Mbps on the 2nd 5Ghz band/connection. Not sure why this should have mattered since it is on the "QoS Settings" page and like I said, QoS is NOT enabled?

Message 3 of 6
dondorn
Apprentice

Thank you Zoltar. I had the exact same problem and now it is fixed

Message 4 of 6
dondorn
Apprentice

I spoke to soon. 

5GHz-1 300+ download and 15+ upload

5GHz-2 32.5 download and 12.5 upload

I dont think it should be that different ?  Is there something im setting wrong or missing ??

Firmware Version 
V1.0.3.10_10.0.38

Message 5 of 6
dnoble37
Aspirant

OMG! THANK YOU! I have been pissed off by this issue for over a year. I finnaly googled my problem again and found your response. This worked for me. Thank you

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements