Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

X6 R8000 becomes unresponsive

ffzeus
Aspirant

X6 R8000 becomes unresponsive

Hi,

i am connecting my X6 to a GS724Tv3. My GS switch is configured with a LAG (Team, static link 2Gb) and packet size maximum of 9216. The PC packet size is 9014. I have the latest version of firmware installed, did a factory reset after installing and set all my parameters back by hand, not loading a config file. I have an older R6300 running as an access point off the first router. 

The X6 locks up every 10-12 hours. By lock up I mean it will not pass traffic to the internet and I cannot access the config page. A power cycle will bring it back for about 10-12 hours before it must be power cycled again. I also cannot access the config page of the router if both segments of the LAG are connected. Remove one of them and I can connect as long as the router is still responsive. 

Any ideas on what might be causing the lockups? I am going to decrease packet sizes back down to default tomorrow, but that kills throughput on my big files. Since all the machines connect to the switch and the switch connects to the router, I really don't think it should make a difference. 

Open to all all helpful suggestions. 

Thank you you for your time. 

Z

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
ffzeus
Aspirant

Re: X6 R8000 becomes unresponsive

After settting the packets back down to 1500 things are working as expoected except for the R6300 set as an AP. It refuses to fully assign an IP addrtess from the main router only handing out the DNS servers. I'll poke around that one today.

Z

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Hi Z,

Suspect a mixture of issues. Does the X6/R8000 support any port aggregation at all? Strongly doubt ....see also here -> https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R8000-port-aggregation/td-p/1138949

As of writing, only the R8300/R8500/R9000 support port aggregation -> How do I enable Ethernet port aggregation on my Nighthawk R8500 or R9000 router? - and this is 802.3ad/LACP - mainly intended to connect to NAS also supporting 802.3ad/LACP (and workable of course with managed switches supporting it, too). With the coming-up of the Netgear Nighthawk Switch S8000, Netgear has started adding static (XOR load balancing) to the coming-up firmware, certainly for the R9000 (1.0.2.xxxx and newer). 

Next cumbersome issue ... depsite of offering ReadyNAS almost requiring Jumbo Frames for the best performance ... Netgear does still not formally support Jumbo Frames on any Netgear Genie based router(s) -> Guidance on the use of jumbo frames ... no Netgear Genie based routers listed. While it might be workable on the pure Layer 2 switch (trial and error testing...) it's uncertain what happens on the router platform and it's IP stack. On a standard Linux IP stack, Path MTU Discovery should work - and as such not have a negative impact on the Nighthawk operations. Here again, trial and error. But before really testing, stop using a static LAG connected to your R8000.

Regards,

-Kurt 

Message 2 of 4
ffzeus
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I must have explained my setup poorly. The LAG is through my GS724Tv3 switch. The switch then connects to the X6 by a single connection. 

I am am going to reset frame size back to standard 1500 today and see what shakes out. 

Thanks again.

I'll update after frame size change. 

Z

Message 3 of 4
ffzeus
Aspirant

After settting the packets back down to 1500 things are working as expoected except for the R6300 set as an AP. It refuses to fully assign an IP addrtess from the main router only handing out the DNS servers. I'll poke around that one today.

Z

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7