Re: X6S (R8000P) needs to be reset every few days

asc317
Tutor

X6S (R8000P) needs to be reset every few days

What the title says.  Wired and wireless both drop at least every few days.  Reset fixes, but always come back.  Running newest firmware.  Help appreciated.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 81
proteus220
Initiate

Same here on the X6S (R8000P) , after upgrading to the latest firmware (V1.2.1.6_1.1.86) I noticed the same symptoms.

- WLAN devices are still connected, but no Internet

- Wired devices are connected, but no internet as well.

Have to reboot the router and all will be okay for 2-3 days where another reboot is required.

Hopefully this can be fixed soon.

Message 2 of 81
rayny2e
Star

I have the same exact issue with the same exact device. I even made a separate thread about this with no help from Netgear or anyone. I have been trying everything for 60 days now. I tried with 3 separate Ssid’s I tried with smart connect,I have done factory resets several times. This pos just locks up every 24 hours,but it appears connected even though it has stopped working. None of my network devices respond unless I reboot the damn router. Even the Amazon echo is offline,everything! I’m so sick of this s $320.00 piece of junk,I wish I never bought it. My old R6300 v2 works just fine,but not this garbage router. This is the last netgear product I ever buy!

Message 3 of 81
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

If you connect your computer directly to the modem, will you have a stable connection?

Have you tried to do a factory reset on the device and reconfigure it manually?

Message 4 of 81
asc317
Tutor

Reset doesn't work. No wired connection either. Wireless and wired go down together.
Message 5 of 81
rayny2e
Star

Yes to both your questions. I need a ticket opened asap. I bought mine 60 days ago and need this resolved while I still have warranty. I use my old r6300v2 modem all day,every day with no issues. About an hour ago I just put the netgear r8000p back online and downgraded the firmware,did factory reset and I will evaluate this, but the warranty days pass by quickly while trying to get this device to stay up and running without locking up,requiring a reboot. My router is registered with netgear.
Message 6 of 81
William10a
Master

Option two is return to the store if you have a mojar amount of problems trying to solve if you can.

Message 7 of 81
rayny2e
Star

I bought it at staples and they only give 14 days return. I wish i could return it!!  Netgear hasn't offered any help so far.I feel Netgear should take it back,but then again,they'd probably just send me someone else's returned router Smiley Sad  not happy at all with this transaction/product and lack of REAL Support to fix this known issue.

Message 8 of 81
rayny2e
Star

I have been trying everything to solve this issue myself. The last thing I tried was 5 days ago, I downgraded the Firmware to version 1.1.4.6_1.1.85  I HAD been using the newest Firmware release 1.2.1.6 and i'm assuming that new firmware was causing the Router to lock up every 24 hours or so.... The router "appeared" to be connected,when in fact it was locked up and the only way to get it working again was a router reset.. then it would only last about 1 day and lock up again. After downgrading the firmware, I did another factory reset and I am NOT using smart connect,but rather 3 SSID's. So far the locking up has not happened with downgraded firmware.I hope this version 1.1.4.6_1.1.85 is not a security risk? Smiley Sad  

Message 9 of 81
William10a
Master

I hope that fixes your router's issue and it does something needs to be done to fix the firmware.

Message 10 of 81
X6S_man
Aspirant

I don't specifically have this model, I bought the X6s from Costco. I've had it for 2 weeks so far, and I noticed this issue.I was blaming my new modem and even my ISP.. ended up being the router. I don't know if I should return it or not. Very frustrating. Any recommendations to keep it or not. Love the specs though.
Message 11 of 81
Fireninja
Initiate

I was able to fix it by downgrading to firmware version v1.1.4.6 available here: https://kb.netgear.com/000049484/R8000P-Firmware-Version-1-1-4-6

Load it from an Ethernet connected desktop. In your router settings. It worked for @rayny2e and it work3d for me 4 days with no dropped WiFi or reason to reset it. Netgear, figure this out and give a firmware that doesn’t break our routers. 

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 12 of 81
GMec
Tutor

Same here, but I simply do not think there is any high end router that actually works, so I'm gonna stick with it. I tried and returned each and every asus flagships, they all broke or were suffering on arrival of very common issues (e.g. no second or third wifi available). Turns out routers are the hardest thing to build in 2018. If you want to actually suffer, try asus. This is gold in comparison, I only wish they would address this clearly firmware related issue. At least it takes less than a minute to reboot. Try asus and see Smiley Happy))

Message 13 of 81
GMec
Tutor

The problem kept getting worse. Today I had to reboot 4 times. I uploaded the outdated firmware suggested in this thred, let's see what happens. If it keeps freezing, I'll return it and switch to yet another brand, in search for the one that does the impossible. The one that works. There can be only one.

Message 14 of 81
lordwg
Aspirant

Driving me mad.

When is this getting fixed?!

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router,R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 15 of 81
GMec
Tutor

Never, it's a **bleep**ty hardware, get a Synology and forget about it.
Message 16 of 81
taezer_340
Tutor

I am having the SAME issue after the update. I tried to downgrade my firmware and still having the same issue. Called Netgear the other day and found that my technical support service had gone past it's 90 day window so had to pay for support. The technician assured and reassured that what they did (which was absolutely nothing as I watched them "fix" things remotely) would fix it. Just spoke with Netgear again and in the process of getting a FULL refund on the money I recently paid for extra technical support. Still having the smae issue as of last night. I'm about ready to throw this router into the ditch it is so frustrating!!!

Message 17 of 81
GMec
Tutor

It is a hardware problem, there is nothing you can do. I returned mine. I tried many flagship routers lately, from different brands. All of them had similar issues but the synology rt2600, which is superior under any respect. It is the technology that is just not there, even if they keep pushing it for marketing reasons. I am a researcher in philosophy of technology, I know a bit about it.
Message 18 of 81
taezer_340
Tutor

If it's a hardware issue and the unit is still under warranty, how do we go about getting the product replaced from netgear or is this even possible? I hate to take a complete $300 loss on this router.

Message 19 of 81
GMec
Tutor

I have refunded all the routers because there was no solution to the problem, as stated by the official repairer. In the Netherlands we enjoy very convenient policies when it comes to customer satisfaction.
Message 20 of 81
taezer_340
Tutor

@GMecwrote:
I have refunded all the routers because there was no solution to the problem, as stated by the official repairer. In the Netherlands we enjoy very convenient policies when it comes to customer satisfaction.

What number do I call to get a hold of Netgear regarding receiving a refund on this router?

Message 21 of 81
GMec
Tutor

In my country you don't call any number to return things. According to eu law, the seller has to take care of it, you just return it where you bought it. Of course assumed it is still under warranty. In my case, the sellers were bol.nl and coolblue.nl. They are the sweetest in taking care of these cases.
Message 22 of 81
GMec
Tutor

What started for me being a reset every two days, rapidly became three times a day or more, confirming that it is a degrading hardware issue.
Message 23 of 81
Greg0130
Apprentice

This issue appears to be very similar to the problem that we are having with the R7900P which is only available from Costco. Firmware 1.1.4.6 will fix the problem but there will be security fixes missing. I am testing firmware that appears to be for the R8000 but will work on my R7900P. Maybe Netgear will give you the same firmware to test.
Message 24 of 81
GMec
Tutor

No firmware fixed it in my case. As the problem was deteriorating, I am convinced it is a hardware problem. It went from once a day or two to 3 times a day before I sent it back. Refund if you can.
Message 25 of 81
Discussion stats
Announcements