Re: X6S (R8000P) needs to be reset every few days

FURRYe38
Guru

"I was able to fix it by downgrading to firmware version v1.1.4.6 available here: https://kb.netgear.com/000049484/R8000P-Firmware-Version-1-1-4-6"

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.223/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 26 of 81
GMec
Tutor

I was not
Message 27 of 81
joeyimp
Star

I have had this problem for months. My network will just drop for no apparent reason. Even the wired devices. Additionally, and I don't know if this is related, but I cannot get the VPN to function.

I have been told that the device is out of warranty and I need to pay for support. This is the last Netgear product I purchase.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 28 of 81
ve3tej
Aspirant

I also have been having problems.  I have the latest firmware installed.  I find if I unplug my external hard drive plugged into the router everything works ok.  If I leave the hard drive plugged in I have to restart the router several times a day.  

Message 29 of 81
FURRYe38
Guru

"I was able to fix it by downgrading to firmware version v1.1.4.6 available here: https://kb.netgear.com/000049484/R8000P-Firmware-Version-1-1-4-6"

I recommend installing this file with IE11 or FF Browser, then factory reset the router and set up from scratch. Do no load a saved configuration from file. 

Any other wifi neighbors hear by? if so, how many? 

Disable any Smart Connect, Beamforming and MIMO and test. 

Set manual channels to 1, 6 or 11.

Set WPA2 and AES only. 

Let us know how this works for you...

@ve3tejwrote:

I also have been having problems.  I have the latest firmware installed.  I find if I unplug my external hard drive plugged into the router everything works ok.  If I leave the hard drive plugged in I have to restart the router several times a day.  

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.223/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 30 of 81
Greg0130
Apprentice

I spent the weekend testing two versions of firmware (1.2.2(test) and 1.2.3(flow) are the suffixes) in my R7900P.  Neither fixed the issue.  They both had seriously degraded Internet speed after 24 hours or less.  And immediately after i provided debug files and capture files, they say they have a beta version of firmwire that "might" solve the issue.  These people are unbelieveable.

Message 31 of 81
Greg0130
Apprentice

I am giving up.  These people are totally incompetent.  They have just asked me to test the same version of firmware that failed this weekend.  I suspect nobody is reading or if they are they cannot understand english.  I'm going back to d-link.

Message 32 of 81
taezer_340
Tutor

I gave up as well. I went on Amazon ad purchased Two medialink routers for a half the cost ($59 each) and havent looked back since! The Medialink AC1200 is an awesome router and the tech support is top notch!
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 33 of 81
GMec
Tutor

As said previously, I have had in my hands almost all the flagship routers on the market. Synology is one step ahead, but of course not a winner in dollar to performance ratio. A no brainer anyways.

Message 34 of 81

There is a SERIOUS flaw in the latest firmware.  I'm glad I found this thread because I was about to return my 5 day old R8000P!  I've spent hours working on this over the last few days.  The symptoms were:

- After about 2 hours of uptime, ping rises in online games from 58ms to over 100ms.  Router ping increases from <1ms to 35ms at times.

- After about 6 hours, browsers start throwing DNS errors, YouTube freezes, and sometimes says "video unavailable"

- After about 24 hours, ping just to the router itself increases to 2500ms.

- Shortly after that, you can't even log in to the router or if you get the main UI, you get a frowny face with no controls.

- Reboot router and the cycle starts over: normal/expected latency at first with slowly increasing lag.

I downloaded and downgraded to FW V1.1.4.6_1.1.85 and for the first time, my R8000P is working as expected.  It's only been 4 hours but by now, on the latest FW, I would typically already be up to >100ms ping on every site I test with PingPlotter.  With that older firmware, I'm getting steady 30ms on sites where I actually expect 30ms and my internet seems stable.

This needs HIGH PRIORITY.  I've already lost days of work trying to troubleshoot my own network only to find it is faulty firmware!

Mike

Message 35 of 81
William10a
Master

I wonder if the issue of the firmware is due too hardware issues or just the lack caring about what is release since other netgear users post about the same type of issues after a upgrade of their firmware router's fimware. 

Message 36 of 81

I need to write a followup.  While the older firmware kept my connection clean for longer, it eventually did fail just like the latest firmware.  All was well for about 6 hours but I went to bed and when I woke up this morning, I was getting high latency (ping) from every site and high pings from the router itself.  I tried going to the router login but it was dead (sat in the browser and nothing loaded).  Rebooted the router and all back to normal.

This morning I became aware of a problem with Google Home (which I have) where it was overwhelming routers (of nearly all brands) and causing the router to crash over time.  Google apparently pushed a fix for this on Jan 18 though so I'm doubtful that is the cause.  Spoke to Netgear via chat this morning and they had me change my MTU from 1500 to 1400.  I don't have high hopes that will fix the problem and they said they wouldn't let me try the beta firmware until I try that setting for 24 hours and then unplug Google Home to see if that fixes it.  I was honest and told them that if I still have the problem tomorrow morning, the R8000P is going back and I'll try a different brand.  They still wouldn't let me try the beta firmware.  Wasted a week on this and need to get it working without multiple 24 hour tests.  At least if the beta firmware fixed the issue, I could keep the router and report the results here.  I've tried just about every setting to no avail so I feel like beta firmware might be the only hope.

Mike

Message 37 of 81
ve3tej
Aspirant

I have downgraded to 1.1.4.6 and the wi-fi seems to work better.  I am still having trouble logging into the router after it has been running for a while.

Message 38 of 81
GMec
Tutor

Troubles logging in prelude the router getting stuck. The two problems are related.
Message 39 of 81
Savagepa9an
Tutor

I had the same problems you all have. It made no difference what firmware I used. After about 10hrs pulling my hair out, I returned it. I will wait for stores to restock the  RT-AC86U and get it . So long Neatgear. I swear they got lucky with the R7800.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 40 of 81
joeyimp
Star

Pretty great that we're told we need to apply security updates, which then breaks the router. Last time I checked a security update is supposed to ENSURE your system is operational.

Message 41 of 81
William10a
Master

That is what firmware update is meant to do but somehow the new firmware has missed the mark, not sure why it seems to be a hit and miss if it is going to work on the device or not and with your networks router that's not a good thing. Too many of the newer devices that we all have become to relay on are useless without a internet connection I guess that's the price we pay to have our cake and eat it too.

Message 42 of 81
joeyimp
Star

That's pretty great we are told to apply security updates to protect our hardware. Last time I checked an update is supposed to IMPROVE availability.

Message 43 of 81

Final update: after Netgear refusing to send me their beta firmware to try and their recommended settings failing after just a few hours, I returned the R8000P yesterday and got a LinkSys EA9500.  This morning is the first morning in a week that I've had internet when I woke up.  The R8000P would be locked up cold every morning but the EA9500 looks fine after its first overnight.  Not declaring victory after just 12 hours but it looks promising so far.

I have high hopes that the EA9500 will have solved the problem permanently but honestly, all these high end routers seem to have trouble.  I get the feeling the hardware moves too fast and the sofware just hasn't caught up.  After hours of research, I found just as many people complaining that their LinkSys crashed or rebooted every day and they went with Netgear compared to people claiming their tri band Netgear router crashed constantly and a LinkSys tri band worked OK for them.  So I guess you pick whatever works for your setup.

IMO the web UI for the LinkSys EA9500 is garbage and it took me a good 30 minutes just to get a stable enough connection to 192.168.1.1 to set the thing up as it seemed to have an intermittent connection on the wired port.  But once set up, it appears to be solid enough.  So far.

Mike

Message 44 of 81
Greg0130
Apprentice

It's not just the high end router.  If you look on other postings, the R7900P has the exact same issues.  I have the R7900P and i would consider it a midrange right now.  I have tried their latest beta and it doesn't seem to work either.  I am looking for replacements and the Synology AC2600 has been recommended.  Somewhat pricy for an AC2600.  D-Link has reduced the price on their DIR-882 (AC2600) but the reviews have been mixed and it looks like they are redoing their router line.  My work collegue has the Netgear AC2600 (R7800) and it is working well for him.  Hard to figure out where to go next.

Message 45 of 81
GMec
Tutor

Absolutely true, marketing reasons are pushing the techniology way faster than it should. Linksys also have troubles, as much as any other flagship, but it's much better than netgear for sure. It'll probably serve you well. Bad, slow, web interface, though. Synology is the only uncompromised choice, despite some predictable hardware failures. I'd return your linksys and try the rt2600ac.

Message 46 of 81
GMec
Tutor

Try the synology, and return it if you are not 100% satisfied. My word you will not return it. I have used and tested almost each one of the flagship routers on the market. I would't touch anything else.

Message 47 of 81

I appreciate the reference: that Synology router looks like a great router.  Given that the EA9500 has now been solid as a rock for >24 hours and I really like having two 5Ghz bands (I have one dedicated to only gaming), I'll keep the EA9500 for about a week and see how it does.  So far so good: the R8000P couldn't run more than about 4-6 hours before latency started affecting games, streaming, and other latency sensitive tasks.  And if you didn't notice that, within 24 hours it would be so bogged down that the web UI stopped working.

Mike

Message 48 of 81
GMec
Tutor

I'm confident the Linksys will work well, it's just slightly inferior in build quality (Synology is full aluminum) and way more bulky sofware-wise. However, it offers an extra 5ghz band. Be aware that, depending on your area, channels above 100 are prone to disconnections due to radars. A single contact with a radar frequency will keep that band on hold for up to 10 minutes. Many customers do not know this and mistake it for malfunctioning. I have had many three bands, and I have never been able to make them work, as I live close to a canal, where boats will often spray their radars. I personally use a long 5ghz and a 2.4ghz. The synology keeps the ping low under any circumstance (15 devices connected). Your linksys is as good as the Synology at that, I have it here in front of me as I speak.
Message 49 of 81
William10a
Master

You are talking the DS channels the extended channels for the 5 ghz band, analog tv's use to have the same problem when the radar was pointing toward they the tv's would go crazy due not enough shielding in the if selection of the tv.

Message 50 of 81
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements