X6S (R8000P) needs to be reset every few days

GMec
Tutor

Re: X6S (R8000P) needs to be reset every few days

Correct. In compliance with the current regulations routers will detect and negotiate space for the radar frequencies, resulting in signal shut down. Three band routers usually allocate the "gaming" reserved channel as a DS channel. Using specific software, I can see 2/3 of my neighborhood shutting down every time a cargo approaches. Smiley Happy
Message 51 of 81

Wow!  Great info!  I had no knowledge of the radar shutdowns.  As it turns out (just by random chance), I'm not using any of the channels listed as DFS.  But good to know.

Mike

Message 52 of 81

A little over two days uptime on the EA9500 and it hasn't skipped a beat.  I'm getting my full (230/24 Mbps) ISP speeds and my pings don't rise at all over just a few hours like they did on the R8000P.  My neighbor has a WNDR4500 and says he's having the same problems and has to reboot every morning.  I wonder how many (older) models this affects?  I do hope Netgear can get their FW issue(s) solved because honestly, I'd still rather own a Netgear router.

Mike

Message 53 of 81
GMec
Tutor

I don't know about the older ones but the new generations are all pretty bad. I got an ASUS GT5300 dead on arrival and returned an AC88, both with the same problem.
Message 54 of 81
William10a
Master

I believe that it may be the routers makers fault all the way the people who make the chip sets may hold some of the blame since the people write the firmware for the routers must follow the code source from the chip set makers.

Message 55 of 81
Techperson2
Apprentice

My Asus is junk and have to reboot lots and makes my devices freeze and have to reboot and mess with my asus all the time

Message 56 of 81
GMec
Tutor

Yeah, that's what I said. My experience with asus ROG.
Message 57 of 81
ve3tej
Aspirant

Netgear had me reflash with the latest firmware and make some changes to the setup.  It has not locked on me in a while.  I do think the wireless worked better with an older firmware

Message 58 of 81
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Please check the beta firmware found on the link below.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Beta-Firmware-for-R8000P-only-if-you-have-th...

Message 59 of 81
Greg0130
Apprentice

I took my R7900P back to Costco and purchased the Synology AC2600. After a week the Synology hasn't required a reboot and is working beautifully. I had one small question for support and was promptly answered with good advice. On this thread, Netgear is hoping their 1.3.0.11 is a fix. I tested two versions of that firmware and it didn't work.
Message 60 of 81
Diggie3
Luminary

Netgear has been having this issue on many (all?) of their recent firmwares for half a year. They seem hopeless to fix it. Meanwhile they waste time cramming bs like Circle and BitDefender into the devices. Who is even asking for that? I just want a fast, stable router.

Firmwares from ~March 2017 were much more stable, if your model has some that far back, but they'll have more security issues too.
Message 61 of 81

The LinkSys EA9500 that I bought to replace the R8000P is now on 14 days up time without a hitch.  No dropped wireless cameras, no increasing ping problems and subsequent crashes, and no reboots needed.  That's not an endorsement for LinkSys but for whatever reason, the LinkSys is happier with the devices I happen to be running.  I still feel like these latest high end routers are finicky and you have to just buy whatever works for your particular network.  I see almost as many complaints saying people had to switch to Netgear because their LinkSys router was crashing daily.  So I guess... YMMV and if you can't get one brand to work, try a different one.  Seems silly to have to do that, but it looks like that is the state of wireless routers these days.

Mike

Message 62 of 81
purescripts
Guide

Same exact problem! Router is two weeks old started from day one. Every two days have to reset. Embarrassing! Never going to use netgear again
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 63 of 81
William10a
Master

@purescripts wrote:
Same exact problem! Router is two weeks old started from day one. Every two days have to reset. Embarrassing! Never going to use netgear again

Did you do any tihning like a update for the firmware or change any thing other the router in your network?

Message 64 of 81
Greg0130
Apprentice

FYI...Receiving reports on another thread (R7900P with similar issues) that Smart Connect seems to be the culprit.  Wondering if anyone turned off Smart Connect?  I didn't but that is a must have feature for me.  With multiple frequencies i like having the router choose the proper one.  My Synology only has two as opposed to the three for the Netgear but it seems to work just fine for me.  Admittedly i don't game or do a lot of video streaming.

Message 65 of 81
GMec
Tutor

The issue has nothing to do with smart connect and persists under any circumstances. I also believe not many use that feature anyways. It's a hardware problem that they barely try to fix with blocking certain functions tjat you paid for. Anyways, if something works one day and stops the day after with no reason...
Message 66 of 81
namtrah
Aspirant

so it's still a thing! just bought mine about a month ago. Had to reboot after 2days! then another 2 days. Called tech support and we went through setup and config. Then 2 days later...same thing. Called Tech support again..yadda yadda yadda...replacement shipped to me. Replacement installed...two days later...boom  same issue. called tech support got upgraded to level 2 weas issued a beta that "they believe will solve the problem" since i have the latest firmware.

so we shall see..

Message 67 of 81
purescripts
Guide

The router you have been calling about and have been having this issue with has had this issue for 5+ months. Anyone that buys this router new will receive a broken router. Note the beta firmware does not work. You will have to downgrade to a lower version for it to work. 

Message 68 of 81
William10a
Master

I know third party firmware is really not cared for but has anyone tried it to see if the issue goes away just wondering it would shed some light on which way the issue lays firmware or hardware. 

Message 69 of 81
purescripts
Guide

Issue is 100% firmware, not hardware. I’ve been running clean for a month on old firmware.
Message 70 of 81
William10a
Master

Then they need to redo the firmware over again if thats the case.

Message 71 of 81
Greg0130
Apprentice

Netgear is totally baffled.  This issue also plagues the 7900P sold by Costco.  I can confirm the Beta firmware doesn't work.  The last reliable firmware is V1.1.4.6_1.1.85.  I took my router back, bought a Synology AC2600 and have been problem free ever since.

Message 72 of 81
Diggie3
Luminary

If you read the forums more broadly NG have been having issues with devices losing connections and routers needing reboots for a year now across many models. Owners keep having to go back to stale firmware.

They seem totally incapable of resolving the issue.
Message 73 of 81
myersw
Master

@William10a wrote:

I know third party firmware is really not cared for but has anyone tried it to see if the issue goes away just wondering it would shed some light on which way the issue lays firmware or hardware. 

No 3rd party firmware available for the r8000p that I can find. Openwrt does not support and we are waiting for Brainslayer, the developer of DD-WRT, to put out a build. I do run DD-WRT on my r8000 and it just runs like it should. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 74 of 81
devappended
Aspirant

Having the same issue. Returned the first one speculating it was a lemon but alas the replacement does the same. ISP has confirmed internet and modem has constant signal. Only resolve is to unplug this and plug back in.
Message 75 of 81
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements