Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

X8 Speeds significantly less then modem speeds! Help please!

MossyMudruffin
Aspirant

X8 Speeds significantly less then modem speeds! Help please!

Hello! I've got an Arris Surfboard 6190 and a Netgear X8 R8500 router and am using Cat5e cables. My internet from Xfinity is supposed to be as high as 250Mbps. When I plug my MacBook Pro  directly into my router using a USB 3.0 to ethernet adapter, by download speed is 112Mbps and my upload is 5.66Mbps. When I use the same cable and adapter going straight to my modem, by speeds are 176Mbps and 12.2Mbps. Obviously the latter is much more in line with what I should be getting.

Does anyone have any idea why I would see such a drop in speed when putting the X8 between my modem and laptop?

If there is more information I should provide to help make things more clear, just let me know. Thanks!

UPDATE: 

1. I just noticed that all day today, all of my tests using speedtest.net that I have done through the X8, both wired and wireless, have been 112Mbps.  Not sure if that means anything, but thought I would add it.

2. AND, I just logged into my router admin and in the in the Dynamic QOS section had Speedtest measure things there and it came back 263 down and 12 up!  So now, I'm thinking there might be a setting in the Router Admin that I should change in order to get my speeds up to par. I wanted to ask here first before I screw anything up any further though.   🙂

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
MossyMudruffin
Aspirant

Re: X8 Speeds significantly less then modem speeds! Help please!

OK. I seem to be solving my own problem. Funny how I can spend all day on something and only figure out once I have decided to ask for help and waste other people's time. 🙂 Sorry about that.

As soon as I disabled Dynamic QOS my speeds shot up. In fact, Speedtest.net now has me at 298/12, which is even much faster than I hoped for!

Having said that, am I going to have any problems now that I have disabled Dynamic QOS? I am trying to read up on it, but it's not clear to me yet what I am losing. Lots of stuff about managing your bandwidth better when you're gaming, etc. Anything else I should be aware of?

Also, it doesn't look like I can edit my original post anymore which is why I added this. I'm going to choose this as my solution and hope that I didn't break anything. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
MossyMudruffin
Aspirant

Re: X8 Speeds significantly less then modem speeds! Help please!

OK. I seem to be solving my own problem. Funny how I can spend all day on something and only figure out once I have decided to ask for help and waste other people's time. 🙂 Sorry about that.

As soon as I disabled Dynamic QOS my speeds shot up. In fact, Speedtest.net now has me at 298/12, which is even much faster than I hoped for!

Having said that, am I going to have any problems now that I have disabled Dynamic QOS? I am trying to read up on it, but it's not clear to me yet what I am losing. Lots of stuff about managing your bandwidth better when you're gaming, etc. Anything else I should be aware of?

Also, it doesn't look like I can edit my original post anymore which is why I added this. I'm going to choose this as my solution and hope that I didn't break anything. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7