Re: XFS USB key not recognized

NatoBoram
Tutor

XFS USB key not recognized

I wanted to change the filesystem used by my USB keys to something more modern, like Btrfs.

The compatibility page says the only modern filesystem that's supported "for full read/write access" is XFS. So, I went with it and formated a 64 GB USB 2.0 key to GPT/XFS.

After I plugged it in the router, nothing happened, and it didn't show up in ReadyShare. I tried to format it with MBR/XFS, but still nothing happened.

Is there something I'm missing? What are the full requirements to use an USB key with a NetGear router? Or is this another bug with the Genie firmware?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5
microchip8
Master

Filesystem support depends on the kernel used by the firmware. XFS "recently" had big changes made to it and the version of that filesystem has been bumped from V4 to V5. If the router's kernel doesn't support V5 and you formatted the key with tools that by default format in V5, you won't be able to use it on the router. You need to explicitely format it in V4 version format

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.88SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 2 of 5
NatoBoram
Tutor

How do we specify to format in XFSv4? The only option I have is XFS, and it gives me an XFSv5 partition. Even mkfs.xfs' man page contains nothing about an XFS version.

Also, it would be a good idea to allow the router to format drives to ensure compatibility.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Fear XFS since around 2015 with the change from v4 to v5 was not really implemented and maintained to continue backward compatibility - not aware on the ability to create an earlier XFS on-disk structure on newer systems.

@NatoBoram wrote:

I wanted to change the filesystem used by my USB keys to something more modern, like Btrfs.

Ok, get a router with some xx GB of DRAM to gain an advantage of Btrfs.

@NatoBoram wrote:

The compatibility page says the only modern filesystem that's supported "for full read/write access" is XFS. So, I went with it and formated a 64 GB USB 2.0 key to GPT/XFS.

Not sure this is what the compatibility page says. This must be based on your personal evaluation. The problems with (today's) XFS and ext4 are very similar - the lazy file extension can and will lead to data loss if power or connectivity is lost while writing.

Netgear should adopt (if not remove) the XFS support from the list - as its all based on legacy XFS implementation. @Altsai @ChristineT - or consider a massive Kernel update for supporting current XFS.

Message 4 of 5
microchip8
Master

I think (but am not sure) that if you disable CRC during format, you'll get a v4 file system.

You can do that with mkfs.xfs -m crc=0 /dev/sdxx 

(where the first x is the device (ie, a, b, c, etc) and the last x is the partition number (ie, 1, 2, 3 etc))

btw, the router also supports NTFS so you can format your key under Windows

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.88SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E