Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

XR500 Compatibility w/ MK62 (Mesh Wifi 6 System)

kevscansw
Aspirant

XR500 Compatibility w/ MK62 (Mesh Wifi 6 System)

Hi,

I'm considering purchasing one of Netgear's new mesh 6 systems (MK62) as the wifi extender I have now really doesn't do a great job with coverage in my house and supporting the bandwidth I need.  It seems like a mesh solution would provide a better overall quality of service.  

Anyway, I currently have an XR500 that's not too old and I'm very happy with the performance of that unit.  My question is: If I want to keep that router in place, can the MK62 work with it?  Could I get by with purchasing just the satellite units or would I need the router as well (replacing my XR500)?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: XR500 Compatibility w/ MK62 (Mesh Wifi 6 System)

The XR500 isn't a mesh router so it wouldn't function as such. You'd need to actually get the full router/satellite setup to run mesh. 

But you could put the mesh system in ap mode that way you could still use the XR500 as a router and retain its ping/latency reducing benefits. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The XR500 isn't a mesh router so it wouldn't function as such. You'd need to actually get the full router/satellite setup to run mesh. 

But you could put the mesh system in ap mode that way you could still use the XR500 as a router and retain its ping/latency reducing benefits. 

Message 2 of 4
kevscansw
Aspirant

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. Appreciate the info!
Message 3 of 4
Eidolon
Guide

How's this working for you? 

I've a xr700 with MR60 in ap mode.  Ping and lag is really slow.  How have you found it? 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7