× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 always rebooting

fguerrero03
Tutor

XR500 always rebooting

I have tried installing the old hot fix for drop out and it is still occuring. Happened after the latest firmware update. I have factory reset more than 5 times and have setup the wireless from scratch each time. I have created new and different SSIDs, tried multiple solutions found in the community- is the power adapter connected ok, is it plugged directly to an outlet, to reboot the modem each time I reset and reboot the router, i changed the Cat5e cable, etc.

None of these solutions have worked to solve the issue. The drop out even occurs after factory reset after some time. It will work for a little while without dropping out and then it will drop consistently after that first time. Intervals are sometimes 10-15minutes, sometimes 1-2minutes apart.

I am using CM700 with a Cat5e cable, no other hard wired devices connected to the router. I have left the defaul factory settings for the router and it still causes drop outs. 

I am currently on firmware .66 because the dropouts are much less frequent than with .114

I have also tried the hotfix patch that was on the forums not released, and the drops still occured.

Please assist!!!  

@Netduma-Liam @Netduma_Alex @Netduma_Jack 

Thank you!

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 12
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 always rebooting

Sorry to hear that!

There is actually a new firmware available on our beta forums that has been looking pretty promising for this issue, I'd suggest giving that a try and factory resetting after installing it. 

Let us know if you still have issues after that!

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/New-Firmware-v2-3-2-120-XR500/td-p/...

Message 2 of 12
fguerrero03
Tutor

Hi Liam, thanks so much for responding. I uploaded the firmware, reset factory settings and it rebooted 5 minutes after i finished my settings.

I will update if more drops occur, in the meantime, I have attached the log file.

Thanks again, this is my first real issue besides the beginning roll out of the xr500. Love the NetDuma sys, it really is one of the best indepth gaming specific OS.

Message 3 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Keep us posted! Thanks for the kind words! Unfortunately the log wipes upon a reboot so there won't be any useful information there
Message 4 of 12
fguerrero03
Tutor

Hi Fraser, its been happening more frequently since last night. Should I go back to a previous firmware? 

Message 5 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Try upgrading using the same firmware but using the TFTP method which bypasses the boot process and any issues there, then do a factory reset after and see if it is better
https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Message 6 of 12
fguerrero03
Tutor

is it required to hard wire in? Dont have any laptops with ethernet ports or adapters. 

Thanks

Message 7 of 12
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Yes, I believe you'll need to have a wired connection in order to do this.

If there isn't a way that you can access the router via a wired connection, please try reverting back to the previous firmware as you mentioned previously.

Message 8 of 12
fguerrero03
Tutor

First i went back to .114 and it was really bad, then went back to .66 and it was also really bad. Any other options? Its been several days like this not sure if I can keep spending hours a day figuring this out. 

Is there a way someone can remote in to review whats happening? 

Thanks

Message 9 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If it's rebooting on its own then I believe you have a faulty unit, you can try leaving the router unplugged from the power for 10 minutes to let the residual power drain and then connect and see if that resolves it. People are still having the disconnect issue on .120 although not as much as before so that is something NG are looking into further at the moment. If reboots still occur I'd encourage you to get a replacement if you're still under warranty.
Message 10 of 12
fguerrero03
Tutor

Unfortunately I purchased this router when it first released and its no longer under warranty. I left the router unplugged the entire night and plugged it in this morning and it is occuring less. Would draining the residual power more often help? Would it make sense to go through the entire firmware update, factory reset then unplug for a while?

Any ideas on what can cause the unit to be faulty? 

Thank you.

Message 11 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes that could help potentially. Hard to say, could have been a power surge/cut
Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements