Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 and EAX15 smart roaming placement

hands4
Aspirant

XR500 and EAX15 smart roaming placement

When does XR500 and EAX15 smart roaming select the XR500 vs. the EAX15?

It the algorithm XR500 signal stronger vs. EAX15 stonger? If so, won't the EAX15 half the bandwith even wiht the signal to the XR500 is OK? In other words, as one is positioned closer to the EAX15, will it be chosen even when the XR500 would work fine at double the bandwidh of the EAX15?

Related question: If I position an EAX15 where I'm having issues with the XR500 signal, will the EAX15 receiving on the mesh freqency and boradcasting on the wi-fi frequency increase the reliability of the signal at the expense of the slower repeated bandiwth?

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@hands4 wrote:

When does XR500 and EAX15 smart roaming select the XR500 vs. the EAX15?

The two devices don't select anything. The Extender does simply send out a list RRM information about the BSSID for the same SSID (network name). The decision is done by the wireless client.

@hands4 wrote:

It the algorithm XR500 signal stronger vs. EAX15 stonger?

There is no available bandwidth information included in the information distributed. It's about connectivity, not about the available bandwidth.

@hands4 wrote:

If I position an EAX15 where I'm having issues with the XR500 signal, ...

In this case you do something basically wrong. The Extender is technically the same like a wireless client. When you place it where the reception is poor, anything it does extend is poor for the same reason, too. The extender needs to be placed half the way (in open space) or adjusted accordingly where more walls et all are in the connection line between the root AP on the router and the extender.

Message 2 of 4
hands4
Aspirant

Clearly there are aspects of the "mesh" technologh I don't understand. I found:

"Other extenders operate under a different name from that of your existing WiFi network, forcing you to manually switch between your original and extended networks. NETGEAR WiFi 6 Mesh Extenders, however, simply extend the range of your existing WiFi, even taking on the same network name you’ve always used. This makes for an effortless, seamless online experience, even as you’re moving through the house."

I've used routers that have done that for over a decade. They're called Apple Airport routers. So I expected something else special about the "new" mesh technology.

These Netgear models use a third "mesh" band (5 GHz), but apparently that is much like the user 5 GHz band. Does that improve overall mesh throughput but not speed? Other than more througput, what value does it add?

From Netgear's web pages, I expected the mesh band to have higher bandwidh and a longer reach than the user band. If so, an extender would deliver the same user bandwidth with added latency from the hop.

But do not observe either of these. The extender cuts the bandwidh in half (as ususall). The extender has no more reach than the end device. If I place the extender half way between the distant end device and the central router, it cuts the bandwidth in half for part of the distance betwen it and the central router. So other than a single namespace, what are it's benefits?

The EAX15's didn't work, so I returned them. Both would drop the wi-fi broadcast and that LED would turn red. This was not distance-related. I thappened at 10' and at 30' and to two units. So I canned them.

I'll KISS and stop using this third mesh band. I'll run CAT-6 from the cable-modem to each router. I assume the Netgear routhers will form a single namespace, but with no loss in bandwidth or lantency, and still with a single namespace. True?

I have an XR500 now. I'm willing to replace it if there are better models at similar prices. Or, if I keep it, what model should I use for the additional two? What would give me the longest reaches? I'm measuring 400 to 500 Mbps now, which exceeds my needs, so wider single-namespace coverage without performance sacrifices is what I'm looking for.

I look forward to explanations that differ from the theories I just gave and suggestong on cost-effective models with long reaches.

Summary:

- What values does the mesh band add compaed to repeating a standard 5 GHz channel?

- Do these units only have 5 GHz and those with 6 GHz deliver enough mesh bandwidth such that the wi-fi bandwidth after repeated is the same as from the central router?

- Am I correct that the EAX15 cuts into the XR500's broadcast area with half-bandwidth and longer latency, given it is close to the edge of the XR500's stong-signal area?

- If I phyically wire three routhers to the cable modem, will they maintain a single namespace with maximum bandwidth and minimum latency?

- Why were the EAX15s dropping their user wi-fi bands while the mesh-band LED remained green?

- What models should I use for my three-router, physically wired, mesh network, without breaking the bank. (I could replace gthe XR500 and sell it on eBay.) The goal is maximum distances, not higher bandwidths or thoughput.

And thanks for the great service in this forum.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the NightHawk Gaming Router products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with NH gaming router products and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-pro-gaming-rout...

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the WiFi Extender products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with WiFi Extender products and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/bd-p/home-wifi-range-extenders

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts for your future needs. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7