× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 and mesh network

bigc1955
Aspirant

XR500 and mesh network

Good morning.

I have an XR500 pro gaming router and am interested in setting up a mesh network with it.  I've seen the easy mesh wifi system and other netgear options.  Should I replace my XR500 with a new total mesh system or can I easily add a mes system onto my current setup?

Thanks.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: XR500 and mesh network

Its more complex that that. 

How big is your home and how many access points/satellites are you thinking you'll need? 

As well as what are the interior walls of your home made from? 

These are a bit key as you could add a mesh extender to the XR500 and it'll work but if you're planning on wanting more than 1 access point/extender, then I'd recommend going to a mesh system. 

Then you start getting into the specifics of what system are you wanting/looking at? A dual band or tri band system?

And how many satellites. 

You can add a mesh system to the XR500 and leave the XR500 as router and put the mesh system in access point mode. That'd all you to retain the gaming benefits of the xr500 while still having the whole home coverage that the mesh system provides. 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7