Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 no power light, no Wi-fi lights no internet

RKDN
Aspirant

XR500 no power light, no Wi-fi lights no internet

I purchased an Netgear Nighthawk XR500 gaming router on the in June - It worked fine for a period, unfortunately it seems to have stopped working at all.

The power LED stays off no matter what you do, the internet lights remain off but the USB & ETH LEDs are on (only the ETH LED that has an Ethernet cable plugged in to)

I have no Wi-fi being produced at all. The netgear app showed the device as “disconnected” I have attempted to set this up as a new device but it simply states “cannot connect to Netgear 45” - the router is not providing a network to connect to, the app then states router cannot be found.

I have tried disconnect every device, disconnecting the modem and powercycling everything. Nothing seems to have worked. Please help.

The Ethernet cable does provide internet access but it is my Vodafone network, and not the “netgear 45” that it should be.

I cannot access routerlogin.net - it states “You may not be connected to your Router’s WiFi network. To access routerlogin.com, your device must be connected to your Router’s WiFi network. Check your current connection and try again.”

I cannot and have not been able to see “Netgear 45” in my Wi-fi list for a considerable amount of time.

If you have any ideas, or questions please do let me know.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
RKDN
Aspirant

Re: XR500 no power light, no Wi-fi lights no internet

Update:

I spoke to customer support (somehow found a number for them)  - they seemed to conclude that this is a hardware issue and as it is covered by the 2 years hardware issue, they will let me complete an RMA.

New device to be received. Hopefully this will fix the issue.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies

@RKDN wrote:
I purchased an Netgear Nighthawk XR500 gaming router on the in June 

That is a gaming router.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Nighthawk Pro Gaming Routers - NETGEAR Communities

Gaming routers have their own DumaOS operating system that is nothing like the one on Netgear's standard routers.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 4
RKDN
Aspirant

Thanks for this - I have had a look through the documentation and it often just refers me to steps I have already taken.

I had a look at how to install the firmware update as that was something I've not previously attempted - only to see that you need to be connected on the same network and access www.routerlogin.net, which is currently impossible as it isn't providing a joinable network.

The power light continuosly remains solidly off, according to the documentation: "Off. Power is not supplied to the router." but the Ethernet and USB LEDs are lit... so I'm a little lost there.

Similarly the Internet LEDs remains off, and according to the documentation: "Off. No Ethernet cable is connected between the router and the modem" - Despite there literally being an ethernet cable plugged directly from the modem into the router.

The wifi on/off button seemingly does nothing, as well as doing a complete reset by holding the reset buttong for 7 seconds.

When I opened the Netgear Nighthawk app after realising the internet has been a bit iffy, I could see that the router was displayed as "Disconnected" I removed the device as that was the only option and attempted a new system set up. This does not work as the router simply is not providing a joinable network. When I use the QR code, it prompts me to join the wifi network, but shortly after errors and says "unable to join network"

I did see a question that someone previously asked on here detailing the exact same issue, they had no responses or resolutions either, unfortunately.

Message 3 of 4
RKDN
Aspirant

Update:

I spoke to customer support (somehow found a number for them)  - they seemed to conclude that this is a hardware issue and as it is covered by the 2 years hardware issue, they will let me complete an RMA.

New device to be received. Hopefully this will fix the issue.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7