Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xbox 360 how to connect live

Melissa21
Aspirant

Xbox 360 how to connect live

Okay just got this router. My son has an xbox 360 and it will connect to the wifi but when he goes to play a live game it says no internet. So i used the ethernet cable and hooked that right to it but made no difference. I looked around here and tried to find a solution but couldn't. I found one post here showing the settings of the wifi for someoen who had no issues and mine matched up with his settings. I looked on google. I find a video to put the xbox on it's own ip address and I did that. Restarted it and still not working. 

I've seen this is a common issue so I am assuming there are directions written out somewhere how to fix this and I can't seem to find it? Can someone link it for me or explain it to me. I've not very tech savy but I can follow directions/steps. 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Melissa21
Aspirant

Re: Xbox 360 how to connect live

Update!!!

Sorry to waste your time. The issue was totally me LOL! But it's working now. Xbox Gold was needed. My son didn't realize that some how like a month ago he was able to play this game (plants and zombies) but I just got gold and it connected just fine. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the Mfr and Model # of the ISP modem? Built in router by chance or is it just a stand along modem only?

Besure to swap out LAN cables between the xbox and router. Some cables are not made well. Use CAT6 patch cables. 

Besure to set up the networking settings on the console for Automatic. There is a reset networking on the 2nd tab over which you can reset any configurations back to default. When using Automatic networking, it should get an IP address from the router. Check the routers connected clients table to see if the 360 appears there. 

Ensure uPnP is enabled on ther router. Don't set up any port forwarding configurations as they are not needed if upnp is enabled. 

If the console appears in the connect clients list, set up and IP address reservation on the router for the console so it keeps the same IP address each time it's turned on. 

Also get NAT Filter from Secure to OPEN and test. 

@Melissa21wrote:

Okay just got this router. My son has an xbox 360 and it will connect to the wifi but when he goes to play a live game it says no internet. So i used the ethernet cable and hooked that right to it but made no difference. I looked around here and tried to find a solution but couldn't. I found one post here showing the settings of the wifi for someoen who had no issues and mine matched up with his settings. I looked on google. I find a video to put the xbox on it's own ip address and I did that. Restarted it and still not working. 

I've seen this is a common issue so I am assuming there are directions written out somewhere how to fix this and I can't seem to find it? Can someone link it for me or explain it to me. I've not very tech savy but I can follow directions/steps. 

Message 2 of 5
Melissa21
Aspirant

The modem is separate. It's just one I got from Spectrum. ARRIS and model is TM902A. 

I looked up LAN cable and I think that's the same as ethernet cable? The cord from the xbox to the router is just a grey ethernet cable that came with my previous router (it's like a month old from spectrum). I can go ahead and buy this if you think it would help? https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-RJ45-Cat-6-Ethernet-Patch-Cable-3-Feet-0-9-Meters/dp/B00N2VILDM?...

Or is there something better? I'd prefer amazon since I get 2 day shipping but would consider other places. 

Incase the cord we have is junk we did unplug it and tried wireless with no success. WIth the cord plugged in and wifi turned we tried to click the "wired" connect on the xbox and that didn't see to do anything but pop up  a suggestgion saying make sure the ethernet cable is connected. 

We did set the xbox settings to automatic. 

" reset networking on the 2nd tab " I'm not sure where that is at to do. 

The 360 does appear in the router settings. We even turned of the wifi in the xbox settings and refreshed router settings and it was gone. So definitely know which one it is. 

uPnP is enabled and was enabled frokm the start of setting this router up. 

Did not set up port forwarding. 

"

If the console appears in the connect clients list, set up and IP address reservation on the router for the console so it keeps the same IP address each time it's turned on. " I believe that is what I did yesterday. I downloaded an app to get the mac address I think it was of the xbox and then put that in the router settings and put the very end of ip i think it was - it was supposed to be a numbe between 2 and 254 or something? I picked 11. When looking in wireless settings and disconnecting the xbox from wifi and all that the one that ends in 11 is on/off so I think I did that correct. 

He did an xbox update tried again not working. The error it gives if it makes any difference - your profile does not have the correct permissions to access xbox live functionality. 

And I just googled that error and saw that you need xbox live gold and the game says gold required and he does not have gold right now. 

So I am guessing getting Gold should solve the problem? 

Message 3 of 5
Melissa21
Aspirant

Update!!!

Sorry to waste your time. The issue was totally me LOL! But it's working now. Xbox Gold was needed. My son didn't realize that some how like a month ago he was able to play this game (plants and zombies) but I just got gold and it connected just fine. 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes LAN cable is another term for ethernet cable.

Yes CAT6 will be preferred.

If the router is seeing the xbox, then the cable and console networking settings is working correctly.

Yes, if you have not set up a XBOX LIve account, then you need to get this set up to get xbox live services and the ability to game online with others..

@Melissa21wrote:

The modem is separate. It's just one I got from Spectrum. ARRIS and model is TM902A. 

I looked up LAN cable and I think that's the same as ethernet cable? The cord from the xbox to the router is just a grey ethernet cable that came with my previous router (it's like a month old from spectrum). I can go ahead and buy this if you think it would help? https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-RJ45-Cat-6-Ethernet-Patch-Cable-3-Feet-0-9-Meters/dp/B00N2VILDM?...

Or is there something better? I'd prefer amazon since I get 2 day shipping but would consider other places. 

Incase the cord we have is junk we did unplug it and tried wireless with no success. WIth the cord plugged in and wifi turned we tried to click the "wired" connect on the xbox and that didn't see to do anything but pop up  a suggestgion saying make sure the ethernet cable is connected. 

We did set the xbox settings to automatic. 

" reset networking on the 2nd tab " I'm not sure where that is at to do. 

The 360 does appear in the router settings. We even turned of the wifi in the xbox settings and refreshed router settings and it was gone. So definitely know which one it is. 

uPnP is enabled and was enabled frokm the start of setting this router up. 

Did not set up port forwarding. 

"

If the console appears in the connect clients list, set up and IP address reservation on the router for the console so it keeps the same IP address each time it's turned on. " I believe that is what I did yesterday. I downloaded an app to get the mac address I think it was of the xbox and then put that in the router settings and put the very end of ip i think it was - it was supposed to be a numbe between 2 and 254 or something? I picked 11. When looking in wireless settings and disconnecting the xbox from wifi and all that the one that ends in 11 is on/off so I think I did that correct. 

He did an xbox update tried again not working. The error it gives if it makes any difference - your profile does not have the correct permissions to access xbox live functionality. 

And I just googled that error and saw that you need xbox live gold and the game says gold required and he does not have gold right now. 

So I am guessing getting Gold should solve the problem? 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7