Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xbox One Moderate NAT -- Black Ops 3

TheMajorTool
Aspirant

Xbox One Moderate NAT -- Black Ops 3

New to the forums and really looking for some help with my router.  So, I just bought a new Nighthawk r7000 router to updgrade my gaming and overall internet experience.  Unfortunately, I'm not a very tech savy person.  So, below is my infomation and some of the solutions that I've tried.  Any advice woudl be greatly apprecaited -- I'm at work right, so I'll try and solutions after work today.

The goal is optmize my experience and get my NAT to Open -- it's OPEN on the detailed network page but MODERATE on the Black Ops 3 menu screen. 

Provider: Time Warner Cable

Connection: 60/10 -- Xbox One is wired into router, router is wired into modem; I've seen some posts about "bridge connections" but I have no idea what that means.

Assigned IP for my Xbox One in Admin Setup on router

Assigned default DMZ for Xbox One

Enabled uPnP

Ports Forwared:

TCP: 53, 80, 3074/5 

UDP:53, 88, 500, 3074/5, 3544, 4500 

Now, I don't know anything about the settings on my cable modem, but I'm happy to make any adjustments.  

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

Casey 

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

You are supposed to use only one of available options to open ports (i.e. uPnP, Port forwarding, DMZ), not all of them. Pick one and disable the others. uPnP is preferred because it's automatic, but it depends on the quality of Netgear's implementation. If you find it doesn't work, then proceed to port forwarding. DMZ is the least preferred because of the danger of exposing your console directly to the Internet.

It's important to know whether your modem has a built in router. If it does, then you will have to contend with two layers of NAT and, therefore, two layers of closed ports. Bridging the modem disables the router functionality and eliminates this extra NAT layer. One way to tell if your modem has a router is to look at the IP address assigned to the yellow Internet port of your R7000. If it begins with either 10.x.y.z, 192.168.y.z, or 172.16.y.z then the modem is a router. Another way to tell is if the modem has built-in Wi-Fi.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

You are supposed to use only one of available options to open ports (i.e. uPnP, Port forwarding, DMZ), not all of them. Pick one and disable the others. uPnP is preferred because it's automatic, but it depends on the quality of Netgear's implementation. If you find it doesn't work, then proceed to port forwarding. DMZ is the least preferred because of the danger of exposing your console directly to the Internet.

It's important to know whether your modem has a built in router. If it does, then you will have to contend with two layers of NAT and, therefore, two layers of closed ports. Bridging the modem disables the router functionality and eliminates this extra NAT layer. One way to tell if your modem has a router is to look at the IP address assigned to the yellow Internet port of your R7000. If it begins with either 10.x.y.z, 192.168.y.z, or 172.16.y.z then the modem is a router. Another way to tell is if the modem has built-in Wi-Fi.

Message 2 of 8
TheMajorTool
Aspirant

Thanks -- If the modem has built in WiFi, how do I disable it?

I had no idea that you were only suppose to choose one of the three options -- really appreciate that.  I suspect that I'm dealing with two layrs of NAT and that's probably causing some of the issues. 

Message 3 of 8
TheEther
Guru

You will have to log into your modem. You should be able to find its IP address by logging into your R7000. It will be listed as the Gateway IP address on the Internet page.

Message 4 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Hi @TheMajorTool,

You may need to contact the modem manufacturer or your ISP to set the modem to bridge mode so that the router will manage the DHCP in your network.

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 5 of 8
TheMajorTool
Aspirant

Thanks James.  I contacted Time Warner Cable and they gave me the steps for bridging the modem.  I'll list them -- please let me know if there's anything on their router settings that I shoule be doing.

• Login to Ubee Router -- 192.168.0.1 in address bar
  • Enter coresponding password
  • Select tools>operations
  • Select Bridge mode and apply
  • Logout of modem
  • Reset modem and router

Thanks 

Message 6 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Hi @TheMajorTool,

No other configuration you need to do on the router aside from the Port forwarding, Enable UPnP or DMZ. But please make sure that the router will public IP from the modem.

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 7 of 8
stan_man
Aspirant

Thanks.

I worked for 2 days trying to get open nat, turning on DMZ, UPnP, forwarding ports, nothing worked. Other than sometimes the nat for the xbox would stay open for a little while. And all I had to do was set my xfinity modem to bridge mode, and Black Ops 3 and the Xbox one have open nat. I did leave the port forwarding for the Xbox and Black Ops on. Thanks for the info.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7