Xbox One Router Settings (for NBN)

imuin
Aspirant

Xbox One Router Settings (for NBN)

I'm new to the NBN (less than a month), and new to adjusting the more advanced settings in my router (Nighthawk D7000v2)

Before switching to NBN (FTTC), I didn't have a problem with my router or the settings. I was using my consoles wired, and wasn't experiencing any drop-outs. Since getting my FTTC NBN box, my Xbox One can't seem to stay connected for long. I contacted my internet provider (Aussie Broadband), and the tech could see that on his end, the Xbox One was causing my router to screw up. Something about forcing a connection and changing the settings? (I don't know all the correct terminology, apologies) We fixed up all the settings in my router, but I can't run my Xbox One wired without it cutting out my internet for all devices. If I run it wireless, it still drops. I can confirm I still have internet access during the drop-outs because my mobile and my PS4 don't drop out when my Xbox One does. There isn't anything wrong with the router, or faults on my providers side/the line. My speeds are almost exactly what my plan provides (94Mbps/34Mbps on a 100/40 plan, probably more wired). My NAT type should be open, as the tech from my provider opened it when I mentioned I was a gamer (thanks, bro)

Google tells me this is a common problem with the Xbox One's. A solution would be to change the ports/forward the ports on my router. I'm not exactly sure how to do that. I think a lot of port numbers need to be changed, but I don't know where to go in the router settings. Ports may not be the only thing that needs adjusting. I've heard the terms MAC address, QoS, static IP - and I'm lost on what exactly I need to change, and what should be left alone.

Basically, I don't know what the heck I'm doing, but I'm willing to learn. If anyone could help me out, I'd be most grateful. I've got Game Pass games to play! (that $1 for 3 months is great when you're too broke for new release titles heh)

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 3
imuin
Aspirant

Re: Xbox One Router Settings (for NBN)

The forum isn't letting me edit atm, so I'll just add: I have two Xbox One's in the household. They don't drop out at the same time, so I can only assume the internet connection on one is being prioritised over the other. However, they both experience this drop-out issue when only one is in use. I would like to eventually use both at the same time without drop-outs, so that will have to be taken into consideration when changing any router settings, ports etc.

Message 2 of 3
pec967
Luminary

Re: Xbox One Router Settings (for NBN)

There is an incompatability between many Netgear routers and the Xbox when connected to a wired Ethernet port.  The symptoms are lost wired Ethernet connections for all devices connected to the router. Turning off "instant on" on the xbox works for some. Other alternatives are to connect the Xbox via Wi-Fi or to put an Ethernet switch between the Xbox and the router.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements