Re: Xfinity - Speed im getting into the house compared to my WIFI speed is way off.

Stoop411
Aspirant

Xfinity - Speed im getting into the house compared to my WIFI speed is way off.

Good Afternoon...I recently upgraded my internet with Xfintiy/Comast to the 400 mbps plan.  I upgraded my Modem to a Arris SB8200 and my router to a Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Router.  When i do a speed test on the Nighthawk app I am getting speeds of around 450 - 480 up and 23 down.  I have had comcast come out and test my lines and they said I have a +7 connection on my lines, they said +13 is the best and that +7 is higher then he usually sees. (What ever that means) My connection coming from Comast seems to be good.  When I have my Xbox One X wired to my router I am seeing the 400+ speeds.  So all that is good.   Problem I am having is my WiFI speedtests are hitting anywhere from mid 100's to low to mid 200's.  I have researched this to death and tried a lot things but still have not had any success increasing the WiFi speeds.  I have reset everything and with nothing connected tested the speeds, I have disabled QoS, I have put my phone into airplane mode and just connected to the 5ghz WiFi, im in the same room as my router so there is no interference.  I am sure there are other things I am missing.  But I have tried everything I know (which is not much, I have been a student in all this, learning as I go)  Any help or advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated.  One last thing, does the device you test on make a difference?  We are testing on a Samsung Galaxy S8+ and a Iphone 7+ and my old work laptop that is pretty tired.  Was not sure if these devices being older made a difference,  because I seen on a You Tube video that older devices that are unable to reach those speeds might not be able to give a true test.  Sorry if that sounds dumb.  I am looking for any clue at this point Smiley Happy  

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
Stoop411
Aspirant

Re: Xfinity - Speed im getting into the house compared to my WIFI speed is way off.

Just wanted to add some more to this.... Before I got the Nighthawk X10 AD7200. I purchased the Nighthawk AX8 router.  I had the same issue, spent about 3 hours on the phone with Netgear customer support.  They remoted into my router and checked all my settings but the WiFi speed never improved.  They said its possible I had a bad unit, so I took it back to Best Buy and get another AX8.  brought it home and same thing.  So i said the hell with it and after more research I decided to try the X10.  Now that it is getting simular WiFi speeds im guessing at this point its not the router and maybe something else.   Am I being unrealistic in thinking that I should be getting faster WiFi speeds then I am, being on the Comcast 400 plan?  Again thanks for any advice.  

Message 2 of 5
RMinNJ
Luminary

Maybe put the Xbox one on the 5Ghz next to it and have it to do a speed test somehow.

But checking the specs at:   https://news.xbox.com/wp-content/uploads/Xbox_One_Spec_Sheet.pdf

..it seesm only one S and one X  will do ac speeds..  so 802.11n  may only get you so much speed?

I dont have 400mbit internet service  but I know my old laptop with a 5Ghz 802.11n card will only connects at 300mbit max.    Only my newer laptop connects to my r7800 at 855mbit.   

Message 3 of 5

@Stoop411 wrote:

Problem I am having is my WiFI speedtests are hitting anywhere from mid 100's to low to mid 200's.  I have researched this to death and tried a lot things but still have not had any success increasing the WiFi speeds. 

Did your research go into the wifi speeds that you can expect from the clients you are using?

Wifi never gets as high as wired. Are the speeds you get too slow for you? Do they get in the way of things you want to do?

One thing to look at. If you use a Gigabit Internet connection, or your Internet download and upload speed is 300 Mbps or faster, then you don't need to use Dynamic QoS. If anything it slows things down as the router does its stuff.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 5

Greetings @Stoop411,

Sort of a toss up.  The AX8 is brand new and the X10 is known for its instability and issues with the most recent FW releases. 

You'll need to use a 5Ghz broadcast to get near 400Mbps. 

Things you'll need to do to achieve this.  (Some or all may or may not apply)

-Select a FW that doesn't have known performance issues.  (this can be reseached here in the community).  While no FW is 100% perfect, some are indeed better than others.

-Do not upgade automatically...  Auto-Check and Update, Genie, or Automatic Update (often unreliable).  Only upgrade manually.  Perform a reset when complete and set up from scratch.  Do not apply a saved .cfg from a previous version of FW.

~Disable SMART Connect, QoS and Traffic Meter

-Do not use "Auto" Channel selection.  Perform a simple site survey.  See what others (if any) channels your neighbors are using and set your on the least congested your used channels.  See My Reply here for Additional Info

-Gracefully restart the router after making changes.  Make one change at a time and test the performance between restarts and setting changes. 

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E