Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Yamaha MusicCast and Nighthawk Dual-Band WiFi 6 Mesh System

Microfiche
Aspirant

Yamaha MusicCast and Nighthawk Dual-Band WiFi 6 Mesh System

I recently moved to a larger house, so I bought an MR60 system to hopefully extend my range.

It has been great until now. I bought a new Yamaha RX-V485 receiver and am in the process of setting up a new MusicCast network.

The new receiver connects to the 5 GHz network immediately (checking on the device connections in the Nighthawk app), but I can't get the MusicCast network to set up. The receiver appears and disappears randomly from MusicCast, and is completely unusable. The MusicCast app is on my phone which is also connected to the 5 GHZ network.

I removed the new receiver from the Nighthawk network and connected my older RX-V479. It connects to the 2.4 GHz network and the system works better - but the setup and connections are SLOWWWW. I am now assuming the slowness is related to the app being on the 5 GHz network?

Tried the new receiver again - same thing.

Have spent hours factory resetting the new receiver and trying various options, to no avail.

I then plugged in my old router (on a different subnet) which is split with different SSIDs for the 2.4 and 5 GHZ networks.

Connected both receivers and my phone to the 2.4 GHz SSID, and the system works like a dream.

Everything was discovered and connected IMMEDIATELY.

Even worked fine when I moved my phone to the 5 GHz SSID - no problem.

From what I can see, the Nighthawk can't assign different SSIDs to the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks - so did I just waste my money on this Nighthawk system if I need the MusicCast system?

Does anyone have any advice here?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
labatt
Mentor

Re: Yamaha MusicCast and Nighthawk Dual-Band WiFi 6 Mesh System

This forum is for Nighthawk routers not mesh systems. Easy mistake with this site. Go here to start for your mesh system to get better help.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mesh-WiFi-Systems/ct-p/home-orbi

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
labatt
Mentor

This forum is for Nighthawk routers not mesh systems. Easy mistake with this site. Go here to start for your mesh system to get better help.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mesh-WiFi-Systems/ct-p/home-orbi

Message 2 of 3
Microfiche
Aspirant

Thanks @labatt  - copied here 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation