Yet another R7000 with 5G in and out

JacketFan
Aspirant

Yet another R7000 with 5G in and out

Recently, (as in last month) on July 2, 2015 I setup a new R7000. I also am running a new GS108Tv2 8-port smart switch, as well as a GS105Ev2 ALL OF WHICH were new, and installed the same day. I also purchased an Asus USB AC-56 (USB 3.00 AC1200) wireless client for my laptop. The built-in wireless client is a Centurion 6205 N.

My ISP is 60/4 Charter and stays fairly solid. Even in high demand times my download speeds will be in the low 40's, although 90%+ of the time it'll test in the mid 60's, usually 65~66 down, 4..2 up. (Even via wireless N, which is AWESOME!) Smiley Very Happy

The speed, right out of the box was fantastic! That's the good part.

For the better part of that first week I tweaked, downloaded the latest firmware, downloaded the latest drivers, and updated all of the new Netgear hardware. 

FWIW the firmware versions are:

GS108Tv2 - V5.4.2.19

GS105Ev2 - V1.3.0.3

R7000 - V1.0.4.30_1.1.67

I've been tweaking settings and saving cfg files along the way, including the 'virgin' setting(s), and each new one along the way. Without fail, the router has worked with each step. Well... with the exception that I can't figure out how to connect "dual-band" with the Asus client to get true ac1200. It'll connect at 2.4G at 300 or at 5G at 897, but I cannot connect dual-band. What I have found however that surprised me, was that I really don't need to connect at 897mbps. When doing speedtest my download speeds are EXACTLY the same whether I use the Centrino 6205 or the Asus USB AC-56, both of which will get the same download/upload speeds of 60+/4.2.

That was however until the middle of this week. Smiley Sad

I have up to seven 5G clients. The 2 laptop connections, 1 iPad, 2 Samsung 6, 2 iPhone 6. I've setup IP reservations in the R7000 because I have 10 wired, and 6 wireless devices on at a bare minimum. (Sometimes even more via wireless.) I've also setup the laptop, iPad, and smart phone devices to connect via 5G in order to 'uncrowd' the 2.4G band. But as of Thursday 5G randomly stops working. I have looked both in the Netgear Genie software, as well as via browser interface (my preferred interface, and "advanced" at that) and NOT ONE device is connected at 5G.

When I try to connect with my Samsung for instance I can see the 5G connection, but when I try to connect to it it'll tell me I'm not in range. With the iPhone it just never connects and keep asking for a password. Same thing with the iPad. With my laptop there might be an option for 5G in my list but as soon as I click on it it'll disappear.

I've tried to reboot the router via the software.

NO GO!

I've pulled the power cord (on both the Cisco modem as well as the router) for 30 seconds then firing them up in order, modem the router.

NO GO! 

I've reset the router via gem clip.

NO GO!

The only thing that gets 5G working again is reloading my last cfg file, or any cfg file for that matter and then 5G will work.

The problem is..... I have NO IDEA how long it'll work. Yesterday, (Friday) I had to do it twice. Got up this morning and guess what? No 5G! Today (Saturday) I've done it twice, and as of now 11:05 pm, 5G is still up (with the last reboot being around supper time).

I've read the help page on "Resolving poor 5GHz wireless range/signal from my NETGEAR router", although from the web interface I don't have ANY option for analytics. For this I've used the Genie software, and there are no other interference problems in my area. (The home is 4 side brick, ranch 2500 sq ft with a finished 2500 sq ft basement, on 2 acres, with all lots being of similar size.) There are no neighbors in the 5G band, none. My channel is 153 for 5G.

I am on channel 11 at 2.4GHz.

Using the analytics app from within the Genie software I get only TWO other signals that it'll receive, although they never stay 'in' for more than a few seconds. The only ones the ROUTER will pick up are -90dBm channel 1 and -88dBm channel 4.

Also.... There are some intermittent signals at 2.4GHz that I can pick up with the Netgear Analytics app on my Samsung phone. The phone app will get a few more,  -93dBm channel 4, -90dBm channel 1 (the same two as above), then  -93dBm channel 9, and  -93dBm channel 5.

As I said, I'm on channel 11 and via 3 different signal apps on my phone neither my 2.4 GHz or the 5GHz band should have any interference what-so-ever. 

I find this problem much more than problematic, and indicative of an underlying hardware failure. I use the router for home based business, and cannot be without it, which makes this problem more than a bit unnerving.... especially when you are in the middle of something and suddenly your signal has gone completely dead!

My biggest concern is here we are, just over 30 days in, and knowing what I do about Netgear not supporting the end user AT ALL after 90 days (short of $199 paid support, on a $165 router) means it's literally a throw away device at that point.

Please advise on how we can work to fix this.

TIA

JacketFan

JacketFan
Message 1 of 19
VE6CGX
Master

Re: Yet another R7000 with 5G in and out

May I ask what f/w you are on, and tried your iPAD closer to router? Like dozen feet away or so?

Message 2 of 19
JacketFan
Aspirant

>>May I ask what f/w you are on, and tried your iPAD closer to router? Like dozen feet away or so?<<

As was in my post:

FWIW the firmware versions are:

GS108Tv2 - V5.4.2.19

GS105Ev2 - V1.3.0.3

R7000 - V1.0.4.30_1.1.67

The router is on top of my equipment rack, (about 6' up) in my family room.. We are losing the ability to connect when literally looking at the router. Sitting on the sofa, (or in the recliner) we're less than 12' away.

The problem doesn't just exist with the iPad, it exists with ALL my 5G connections.

I have the devices (that are able) setup to where I can switch between 2.4 and 5, knowing that say in the bedroom, which is about 30' away (although as the house it laid out the signal has to pass through two brick walls at the corner of the screened back porch) I have the ability to switch to 2.4 for better signal strength.

The thing is... the devices will be connected, (and running) just fine. Be that laptop, phones, tablets, whatever... then you go to load a page and nothing happens. Only to find out that you no longer have a 5G signal. Now with the androids they'll automatically switch to the working channel. But with my laptop I have to manually switch to whatever channel I want.

In fact, I have an at least 8 year old DLink DIR 655 "N" router that the R7000 replaced that I put in the basement for my son's friends to have access, (connected through the new Netgear 5 port switch in the basement). I *can* activate the guest network on the R7000 but prefer not to. Mainly because I have Qos set up to keep his buddies from hogging all our bandwidth. The new switch is MUCH better at Qos than the R7000, and in fact the really old DLink is far superior in that respect as well. Go figure.

I did fail to note in the first post that although I can switch between points of service on my devices, that when I open up the Genie software (again I prefer the browser interface, but Genie will show this) that the 5G channel is not active. Can't get it to reload from that software though. I end up going to the browser interface and reloading the cfg file and (for NOW) it makes it work again. 

JacketFan
Message 3 of 19
SkyOwl
Guide

I had the same issues with my 5G connections on the .30 firmware....went back to .28 and all is well again.  Hopefully they will fix the issue with the next fw update, but until then I will stay with .28.  I don't need the printer fix that was supposed to be the main enhancement the .30 fw as I don't have a printer connected to the router.

Message 4 of 19

JackelFan,

If the only way to get your 5Ghz broadcast working reliably again is to reload a previously saved .cfg file something is wrong.  Please clairify for us.  Is the .cfg file (that temporarilty resolves the issue) saved from a previous FW revision?  Its not best practice to use a config file created (saved) in one FW revision, and apply it to another FW revision.  This is a common mistake and can introduce these types of issues.  Further, if you have attempted to migrate a .cfg file across multiple FW revisions as you "tweak" and update, this too is a potential point for issues.  Maybe this is not true in your case, but we don't know this.   

You already know the router is capable and had worked reliably with earlier FW.  I'd perform a hard reset and go back to whatever FW version worked reliably for you.  After flashing reset again and build your configuration from scratch.  Let me make the following suggestions which may simplify your life.

DHCP Server - Modify and limit the range of IP addresses available in your DHCP Pool

Address Reservation.  Set static IP's on the device, don't bother setting these up in the router's GUI

Set IP's for your statically assigned devices above or below the DHCP Pool range you've selected above.

I use Access Control, not because its overly secure, it's just another layer which helps to protect your network.  Configuring this is easy as you can "allow' devices, and rename on the fly. 

If at the end of all this, you want to back up your settings, that is fine, but don't continiously make changes and/or saves, reflash and or continue to re-apply previously saved configs over and over.  Once stable again, we can attempt to address the negoitiated speeds of your various devices and adapters.

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 5 of 19
JacketFan
Aspirant

>> had the same issues with my 5G connections on the .30 firmware....went back to .28 and all is well again.  Hopefully they will fix the issue with the next fw update, but until then I will stay with .28.  I don't need the printer fix that was supposed to be the main enhancement the .30 fw as I don't have a printer connected to the router.<<

That's good to know! :-)

I don't have a printer connected to the router either. (Have a shared wireless HP for that.) ;-)

I do have an external drive, but that's a non-issue.

I'l roll-back the FW and see how stable it is. Oddly enough... today it's still working. This is the longest it's been stable since it started acting up Thursday.

JacketFan
Message 6 of 19
JacketFan
Aspirant

>>Please clairify for us.  Is the .cfg file (that temporarilty resolves the issue) saved from a previous FW revision? <<

No, it is from the current (most recent) FW revision. The first few days, before saving any cfg files I updated the FW. (Not only on the router, but as mentioned, on the two new switches as well.)

I did save one cfg file on day one, before any updates, but that's not the one I keep reloading. This one is just from the 24th of July, (after I made the most recent changes to the setup). The fact that NONE of the 5G devices work tells me it's the router, not the devices.

You're saying setup my devices (internally) with static IP addresses, correct? That's what I did, as well as IP reservations in the router. One of the main reasons is because I have 3 DirecTV DVR's (one 5-tuner and two 2-tuner) plus 3 more receivers for "whole home" distribution. If there are any power flickers I would sometimes have DHCP problems and have to go around the house, turn off everything (including the modem and router) then boot, modem, router, main DVR, second, third DVR, then the other three.

I have enabled access control, but not particularly for Qos. There are 10 wired, and 6 wireless devices currently connected. Yet when looking just now, for SOME reason, the ROUTER says BOTH switches are not connected! They both have static IP address... AND... I can access them both via my laptop, wirelessly. WTHeck is going on? :eek: There are mac reservations within the router, yet it says they are not there, at least via the web GUI interface. But this is weird.... I just checked with the Genie software (because I've setup, named, and applied icons to all of the main devices) and low-and-behold... BOTH of the switches show up there!

I know they are working, because I can access them. But not showing up in the browser GUI????? Hmmmmmm.

Let me clarify.

• From Administration/Attached Devices/ switches are not there (neither the mac nor the IP address)
  • From Security/Access Control - the top list - switches are NOT there.
  • From Security/Access control/View list of allowed devices not currently connected to the network -switches are in the list, but NOT connected (neither the mac nor the IP address)
  • From the Genie software - Network Map - Both icons are active (on page 1 & 3) showing "status on-line".

Now THAT is strange!

FWIW, I have a rack mountable APC power supply/UPS from APC, the AV J Type in the main system. (Another one elsewhere.) http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=J35B&xtmc=J35B%2520-%2520AP...

AV Power Conditioners & Battery Backups

And... a Panamax 5510 Pro in the main system as well. 

http://www.laaudiofile.com/max5510pro.html

MAX5510-PRO

The Panamax like this they don't make anymore, but I do have lesser models everywhere there is a DirecTV box. None have a UPS, but they are FAR better than anything Monster Cable (or worse). (I owned a Home Theater company back in the 90's through 03 when I retired, so I kept up with that sort of thing.) ;-)

JacketFan
Message 7 of 19
TheEther
Guru

I'm not sure how much I can help but here goes.

Do you have any 5.8 GHz cordless telephones?  If so, they can interfere with 5 GHz Wi-Fi.  Try changing Wi-Fi channels.  While you're at it, try to identify any other devices that could be generating radio emissions in the 5 GHz range and eliminate them.

Is your router adequately ventilated?  Make sure that none of the vents are blocked, the router should be out of direct sunlight and the room temperature reasonable.  An overheating router could possibly manifest itself by dropping one of its radios.

You may want to try temporarily disabling as many features on the R7000 as possible and see if that helps.  Disable upstream and downstream QoS, but always leave WMM on.  Turn off access control, port forwarding, uPnP, etc.  You just want Wi-Fi with WPA2 and an IP subnet configured on the router.

There is a difference between IP address reservations and static IP addresses.  Reservations are used to assign the same IP address to a client using DHCP.  A static IP address is a hard coded IP address outside of the range of IP addresses managed by the DHCP server on the router.  shadowsports was suggesting that you use static IP addresses in order to eliminate DHCP from the equation.  But in order to do this, you will have to manually configure IP addresses on your devices.  This could be a real pain to manage given that you have so many devices.  Furthermore, you will have to manually configure DNS server addresses in your devices if you truly want to eliminate any dependency on DHCP.

I would not be too worried about your R7000 not seeing your switches.  If you configured your switches with static IP addresses, then the R7000 may not report their presence, especially if the R7000 has not seen the switches originate any IP traffic.  Basic switches don't even have IP addresses.  You have managed switches, which do have IP addresses, but they only use IP when some other device is communicating with it on the management plane.

Finally, regarding your Asus USB AC-56 Wi-Fi adapter, while it is a dual-band adapter, it is not a simultaneous, dual-band adapter.  Only one band can be used at a time, either 2.4 GHz or 5 Ghz, not both.  It's somewhat misleading for Asus to market it as a AC1200 client.  They simply added the maximum link speeds available in each band (300 Mbps + 867 Mbps = roughly 1200 Mbps).

Message 8 of 19
SkyOwl
Guide

For me it is definetly a firmware issue....all 5GHZ clients work fine on .28 firmware and not so much on .30 firmware.  I would suggest you go back to .28 and try it before you spend a lot of time troubleshooting your clients.

Message 9 of 19
netwrks
Master

I didn't see V1.0.4.30_1.1.67 for the R7000, on the NG website. The general rule is.. IF you upload new fw,  factory reset the router when the update is completed. Reconfig the router manually. If you load an old (previous firmware config with an upgraded fw and you have stability / performance issues, it's a pretty sure bet the the (older) config and newer version fw are conflicting. If you are running the Genie app, on a laptop / desktop, trying closing the app, and observe your network. Genie has been known to cause numerous issues, that include router perfomance / stability issues. For iDevices, ensure WMM is enabled on the router.

Message 10 of 19
JacketFan
Aspirant

Sorry guys.... had a surgical procedure earlier this week.... haven't been attending any of my forums.

I went back and did the earlier FW. So far... it's still stable!Smiley Wink

My son's buddy (the one that likes to hog data so badly) came over and stayed for 3 nights. Ran both of them through 'gigabit' on the 5 port switch, set them back to 32/1 and let the CRC errors fall where they may. LOL Actually I'd set it up at 10/100 full but the CRC errors were WAAAAAAAAY out of control. (The were both gaming heavily via PC, usually on different games.)

Combine that with the other downstairs guests and we had 28 connections on the router!

Went to the 1.0.4.28 FW on the 11th and it's still not kicked 5G. Guess we'll call that a winner. Smiley Happy

JacketFan
Message 11 of 19
IrvSp
Master

Just found this tread with this USELESS forum s/w...

I too just discovered the 5Ghz problem on F/W V1.0.4.30_1.1.67.

My ISP is Brighthouse. R7000 is basically positioned on the south west end of the house. Bedroom is about 60 feet east of the router.

My problem is on an iPad for what it is worth. Not a good client, and iPad3 which is N and has a single antennea. Depending on what iPad speed test I use I can get in the bedroom or right next to the router no more than 30 or so Mbps on my 75Mbps service. More than enough for anything I need to do on the iPad, including Amazon Prime and Netflix streaming.

OK, not what I discovered. My ISP has a TV app that allows me to watch TV on my iPad. Last night I was having problems. It was awfully slow loading. It was giving sign-in and other errors. I had not had problems in the past. So I looked at settings. I was on the 2.4Ghz SSID? Huh, I know that I get a weak signal there on the SSID and ALWAYS use the 5Ghz SSID. So I 'try' to move to it. I get it can't connect? When it did and I looked at the 'i' for info there was none? So I went back to the 2.4Ghz SSID and went to the room that had the router. My TV app worked fine. Back to the bedroom, no-go? Next back to the router, 5Ghz SSID and in the room where the router was it worked fine for the TV app. Walked back to the bedroom with the iPad on the TV app and just as I got to the door the app froze. Settings again showed NOT data?

So I went back to the .28 F/W. Took the iPad to the bedroom and tried the TV app. Works fine as does in Settings the 'i' giving me the proper data.

Something is clearly wrong with the 5Ghz SSID in F/W V1.0.4.30_1.1.67.

Message 12 of 19
JacketFan
Aspirant

That's weird that you're getting BETTER signal on 5G than on 2.4G. WOW!

By design, 2.4 is a longer wavelength, which is MUCH better at reaching farther, through walls, you name it. (Now it might not be faster when you're in the same room, but at distances, and with interference from solid objects it's the way to go.

I agree though that something is clearly wrong with the 'latest' FW. EVEN IF the darned router keeps wanting to update every time you're in the interface. LOL

JacketFan
Message 13 of 19
IrvSp
Master

@JacketFan wrote:

That's weird that you're getting BETTER signal on 5G than on 2.4G. WOW!

I agree though that something is clearly wrong with the 'latest' FW. EVEN IF the darned router keeps wanting to update every time you're in the interface. LOL

Not better signal per se, just it works better for me. The 2.4Ghz band can get interference. I'm in a single home community. Houses about 10 feet apart. I see many SSID's on our PC's and devices. Almost all are protected but very few are running 5Ghz SSID's (yes, some can be hidden). The 5Ghz generally speaking will provide faster bandwidth when in range, but compared to 2.4Ghz it will drop off rapidly.

What I think was happening was the the 5Ghz dropped on the iPad and it switched to the 2.4Ghz band. It will stay there until that connection is broken. I never realized that until that specific app had a problem. Like I said, other streaming apps worked and I first thought it was the app than I discovered it wasn't connected like it was before. Then I found this thread.

I'm OK now on the .28 F/W.

Message 14 of 19
dallascowboyswo
Aspirant

Does this problem follow version numbers of the R7000 or is it just related to the .30 firmware?

Master

Hi @dallascowboyswo,

Welcome to Community!

This is only for the R7000 as they experience this with the latest firmware update.

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 16 of 19
horvatsa
Aspirant

Does this problem still exist with latest firmware for the R7000 (.48)?

Message 17 of 19
TheEther
Guru

No, the latest firmware doesn't hasn't seen any widespread problems with 5 GHz. But several people are having issues with other features, especially port forwarding and printer sharing. If you decide to install it, be sure to perform a factory reset and re-enter all settings only by one. Don't restore settings from a backup file.
Message 18 of 19
IrvSp
Master

After literally weeks of using V1.0.5.48_1.1.79 I finally hit the problem.

Was using my iPad3 on the 5Ghz band and doing some streaming. Using my ISP's 'TV' app trying to watch Monday Night Football and it was stopping randomly. Switched to the ESPN app and had the same problem. Decided to watch a movie on HBO GO and about 20 minutes in it froze. Opened up a speed test from OOKLA and it didn't connect even for a PING test with a timeout. Tried again and it showed no more than 5Mbps down but it danced between 1 and 5. Switched over to the 2.5Ghz band and got a SOLID 25Mbps down. Reset to the 5Ghz band and tried speed test again, same problem. There was NO apparent problem using the iPad3 before this.

Sort of makes the connection for me now about my wife's complaints. She's connected AC at 5Ghz. Randomly during the day she'd complain that browsing was slow loading pages. My PC is hard wired 1GB and I didn't see any degradation. Assumed it was server related on sites she visited. Not so sure now.

I rebooted the router and will now be checking more closely.

If it continues I'm going back 2 f/w releases. No problem with that one but we did have similar problems with the last one. Might also try a RESET of the router and re-enter settings and see if that helps.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements