Re: accessing services peer to peer in AP Model

atlantaguy
Aspirant

accessing services peer to peer in AP Model

Just switched from a Ubiquity AP to the Nighthawk.  I use the Nighthawk in AP mode. I have a great router and don't want to swith to router mode. I can't access services peer to peer on the same LAN such as remote deskop over the wifi. Worked perfectly before. I even shut down the windows firewall to make sure the port was not blocked.  If I take my desktop machine and connect it via the ethernet connection (I have to run a cable 50') it works fine.  It only has issues over the wifi.  I am not in Guest mode either.  Any suggestions other than going to back to the Ubiquity? 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5
atlantaguy
Aspirant

I just ran IP scan.  I have both wired and wireless devices on my lan.  None of the wireless devices expose any of their services.  For example, IP 10.0.1.91 is a trendnet device that has a web server for port 80.  IP scan, is not picking up an open port. 

IPScan.jpg

Message 2 of 5
JamesGL
Master

Hi atlantaguy,

1. Did it work with Ubiquity?

2. When you say hardwired, you mean it is connected to the Nighthawk or to the main router?

3. What is the firmware version of the router?

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 3 of 5
atlantaguy
Aspirant

See my answers below in red. 

I did end up changing to router mode and the services are now accessible on the lan and via port forwarding.  However, the router is very quirky.  For example, I have Belkin Wemo devices that constantly become disconnected from the Wi-Fi. If I recycle them, they still do not connect.  I have to reboot the router (netgear) for the devices to reconnect.  i also have an Epson printer that becomes disconnected just like the Wemo devices.  I decided to go back to the ubiquity as it works better.  I had dual band N AP but just purchased their AC version.

Thanks for getting back to me.

[ New ]

Hi atlantaguy,

1. Did it work with Ubiquity?  Yes it does

2. When you say hardwired, you mean it is connected to the Nighthawk or to the main router?  Main router

3. What is the firmware version of the router?  I am at work and dont' have it handy, but it is on the latest firmware.  I checked that already.

Message 4 of 5
JamesGL
Master

Hi atlantaguy,

If you are using the 2.4Ghz connection for wireless, try changing the channels. Update the firmware if it is not on the latest. Reset the router and manually reconfigure.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements