Re: admin password recovery - not accepting serial number

depkat
Aspirant

admin password recovery - not accepting serial number

What gives? I've had a Nighhawk R7000 router for a few years. I have not changed any settings in the past year. Now I cannot log into the GUI (graphic user interface - where you change settings) to check settings because it will not accept the password I assigned, which I' have use several times. We did not reset router, either. I was sent to recovery page and it asked for my s/n. I KNOW i have password recovery settings set. I cannot click the "coutninue" button because it's greyed out, it does not accept a click, and the enter button on the keyboard does nothing.  I cannot go anywhere else to get into the router w/o resetting the whole thing? Come on, Netgear.  I've used yoru products for years and this is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. What gives? did anyone find a solution w/o having to redo all the darn settings? I have a complicated network w/switches, powerline, extenders, etc...resetting would be a huge pain in the butt

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5
ChicagoMark
Aspirant

I have the same issue with my Nighthawk router.  I will not buy another Netgear product if this does not get fixed.  Needing to reset my router because of bad Netgear software does not give me a feeling Netgear understands the customer centric approach.

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 2 of 5
cOLMPM
Aspirant

I have exactly the same issue - so i cannot reset my password. 

Shame that Netgear support will not help us out when there is clearly an issue here.

I cannot reset to factory settings as that will wipe all predefined settigns and getting this router to work on the local telco network was very difficult. 

Message 3 of 5
Swimmer63
Aspirant

Same deal here - will not accept the serial number.  I swear if anything goes wrong with these routers you always have to erase them.  And this has been an excellent router.  Except for when there was a bug Netgear did not mention for a few months because they did not have a solution.

Thanks Swimmer
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@ChristineT please - yes it's bad to forget the admin password, but it's worse having products supporting a password recovery fetaure which is either looping, not accepting data, not enabling Web UI buttons wher requied.

Only aware of one or two models where the process is kind of confirmed not workable for Safari browsers only https://kb.netgear.com/000059608/How-do-I-reset-the-admin-password-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements