Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

admin password reset loop

tazhombre13
Follower

admin password reset loop

9/29, my wifi stopped working on most of my devices. The morning of 9/30, when I try to log in to the WiFi, the network I set up is gone. The factory default is available. BUT when I try to login, it takes me to a website to reset the admin password instead of the device's WiFi settings. That's on my phone, tablet, and laptop. I'm stuck in that loop and can't actually connect to WiFi. I've tried resetting, unplugging, etc. I used the app and started network setup over from scratch, which included a firmware update. NetGear support is useless--past the expiration date but roughly a year old. Certainly inspiring customer brand switching--the opposite of loyalty.

Message 1 of 4

Re: admin password reset loop

@tazhombre13 wrote:

9/29, my wifi stopped working on most of my devices. The morning of 9/30, when I try to log in to the WiFi, the network I set up is gone. The factory default is available. BUT when I try to login, it takes me to a website to reset the admin password instead of the device's WiFi settings.

What Netgear device are you using? Model number?

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Apologies for all the questions. But you can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

They are there for a good reason.

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Look for the model number on the label on the device.

Check the section in the manual

Troubleshoot With the LEDs.

You may have done that already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

Also, you need to make sure you hit the minimum requirements when setting the password or it can loop. 

minimum is at least: 

10 characters

1 special character

1 number

1 upper case letter

1 lower case letter

Are you hitting the minimum requirements? 

Message 3 of 4
TheCudder
Aspirant

Did you ever figure this out? I'm running into the same issue all of a sudden, and I've had this router for 4 or 5 years (Nighthawk X6 R7900). My router works fine and still uses the configuration I've always used, but I cannot get into the console due to the admin reset loop.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7