Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

back to my mac

jgohn
Follower

back to my mac

Nighthawk X6 R8000 Firmware Version V1.0.3.4_1.1.2, OS X EL Capitan 10.11.4, "Back to my Mac" does not work?

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
GekkeHond
Aspirant

Re: back to my mac

Hello JamesGL,

I installed the latest firmware yesterday and it seems to work without the DMZ. Thank you for the heads-up. This makes me love my router even more! 😉

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 15

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi jgohn,

Can you provide explanation for your issue? Provide screenshots as well.

Message 2 of 15
GekkeHond
Aspirant

I have the same problem. So I can help with the screenshots.

This should work through icloud so I don't have te set up/remember ip adresses etc. My previous router did work (a D-Link N router). So it is not something that only works with an Apple router.

Here is the Apple page about "Back to My Mac": Set up and use Back to My Mac

And here are the screenshots:

Preference

Details:

(it isn't slow, it just doesn't work).

The end result is I cannot reach my mac outside of my own network.  It seems the UPnP does not work the way my iMac expects it to work (yes, I have UPnP turned on).

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi GekkeHond,

Can you set the IP address on the MAC computer to DMZ and check it will work?

Message 4 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi GekkeHond,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Message 5 of 15
GekkeHond
Aspirant

I am sorry, I totally missed I got a reply in this thread. I added my iMac to de DMZ zone and will check tomorrow if that works.

Should it work in de DMZ, but not through UPnP. It would not be the ideal solution. My network will be much easier to compromise, now all the ports are being forwarded.

Message 6 of 15
GekkeHond
Aspirant

It indeed does work when I put my iMac at home in the DMZ on my router.

Any follow up's how I can get it to work with UPnP instead of the DMZ?

Message 7 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi GekkeHond,

Try opening a port for your MAC. Check which port you need to open for "Back to my MAC".

Message 8 of 15
GekkeHond
Aspirant

"Back to My Mac" doesn't use a static port.

What I understood is that it uses my iCloud account on both devices to communicatie what port will be used on the moment I initiate the remote session, which can be anywhere between port 49152 to 65535. If I try to forward that range in the router I get an error it is already in use (which is true, there are UPnP portmaps active in that range).

I guess that is why it needs UPnP to make sure the right port is forwarded at the moment it is needed. 

ps. Firmware Version  V1.0.5.70_1.1.91

link about ports used my OS X: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202944

Message 9 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi GekkeHond,

When it works with DMZ, which means all ports are open for that specific unit. The port that it uses may not be under the ports for UPnP. Can you verify with Apple if they have specific port to use. Can you try to load as well the previous firmware of the router and check if the same result.

Message 10 of 15
GekkeHond
Aspirant

I don't have to verify the ports with Apple, because they have it on their site.

It's in the link I posted in my last reply: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202944

When you said 

The port that it uses may not be under the ports for UPnP.

Did you mean ports triggered through UPnP have a specific possible range? I do not know and/or can not find, what ports are available for UPnP. Do you have a list of port(range)s for UPnP on my router?

Or did you mean that my Mac tries to trigger a port for Back to My Mac already in use by anothet device on my network?

Message 11 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi GekkeHond,

Have you tried the latest firmware of the router?

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30955?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 12 of 15
GekkeHond
Aspirant

Hello JamesGL,

I installed the latest firmware yesterday and it seems to work without the DMZ. Thank you for the heads-up. This makes me love my router even more! 😉

Message 13 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi GekkeHond,

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 14 of 15
GekkeHond
Aspirant

I highlighted the post, but I can not find how to make it the “Accepted Solution”.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7