Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: beta FW

Hey... Cool !!!

I ran it on mine and it said: enable_implicit_beamforming=0

So beamforming is OFF on firmware 1.0.2.241_1.0.17 :mad:

I sure hope they reveal the Beamforming on/off options on the next public firmware. I can say that it is visible in Kong's DD-WRT version and seemed to work.
Message 26 of 170
Highlighted
Novice

Yep, in 1.0.2.241_1.0.17 - it seems like the Beamforming option is not there in the web interface. As for DD-WRT, not sure how true it is but Merlin, the guy that releases the modified ASUS firmware says that hardware acceleration is only available in the OEM firmware and not DD-WRT.
Message 27 of 170
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Yes, that's true, but you don't miss that until you have some pretty high download speeds, over 200Mbps. I'm not missing it at all with 28Mbps download *smile*. 200Mbps isn't even available in this area as a residential customer. Those speeds are available in some areas, though.
Message 28 of 170
Highlighted
Novice

Interesting RogerSC, I wonder if it holds true for Netgear as well as I have not seen Hardware Acceleration mentioned anywhere on the Netgear R7000 software, only on ASUS's software is it even a option.

On another note, 1.0.2.241_1.0.17 seems to work better for me than 1.0.2.197_1.0.17 as now, basically this is what it fixed for me:

1) the link rate from a Atheros Wireless N 2.4Ghz on the ASUS G74SX notebook is now 150Mbps instead of 75Mbps before.

2) disabling 20/40Mhz co-existence works reliably instead of it working at random before causing luck of the draw connects with frequent disconnects
Message 29 of 170
Highlighted
Aspirant

The beta works great for me except for one bug I came across last night. When running downstream QIS, it added my XBox to the high priority list just fine, but when I was streaming NHL Gamecenter, about every 15 minutes, it would drop my XBox Live connection, stopping my streaming and forcing me to log back into XBox live. It happened several times. With downstream QOS turned off, this did not happen.

This is exactly why Netgear should make certain beta builds available on a wider scale. These type of intermittent/sneaky bugs usually go unnoticed until release a lot of times.

As an FYI, I sent them a report about this to the R7000 email address listed in one of the pinned topics in hopes they can rectify this for release.
Message 30 of 170
Highlighted
Novice

I did find two bugs in 1.0.2.241_1.0.17:

It is not assigning the IP address in LAN Setup to one of the devices and instead, the device is still selecting it's own IP address. Not sure if this was the case with 1.0.2.197_1.0.17 or not.

For Port Forwarding, I tried to assign UDP port 5065 start and port 5065 end on the .49 IP but it kept saying it's already in use and I've checked uPnP and everything else but there is no such port listed.
Message 31 of 170
Highlighted
Luminary

Two more bugs, Airplay and iTunes sharing do not work in bridge mode and the reported negotiated bridge speed is shown incorrectly. It starts off at 0.0 Mbps and then increases as traffic flows through the bridge, well past the theoretically possible 1300Mbps. Bizarre bug.
Message 32 of 170
Highlighted
Apprentice

RogerSC wrote:
Yes, that's true, but you don't miss that until you have some pretty high download speeds, over 200Mbps. I'm not missing it at all with 28Mbps download *smile*. 200Mbps isn't even available in this area as a residential customer. Those speeds are available in some areas, though.

That's only if you're talking "internet" throughput. If you're talking about "Local Area Network" (LAN) Throughput, copying/streaming from computer/to/computer, then those speeds make a difference Smiley Happy
Message 33 of 170
Highlighted
Apprentice

FYI... Anyone trying the Beta Firmware, just a reminder to do a factory reset (push reset pin in back of unit for 7 seconds) before and after flashing. You'll of course have to put all of your settings back in. I think they recommend doing this because some settings may not be shown in the new GUI, but retained in the NVRAM.
Message 34 of 170
Highlighted
Luminary

Okay ... so I have 1.0.2.241_1.0.17 ... I went to "DebugHiddenPage.htm" and I generated a debug log ... for me ... it states "enable_implicit_beamforming=1".

I do NOT see the option in the interface; however, it appears to be on by "default".
RBK53 v2
Router Firmware: 2.5.1.16
Satellite Firmware: 2.5.1.16 (Satellite1: Wired, Satetellite2: WiFi)
Setup: DSL Modem (Bridge Mode) - Personal Router - Orbi (Access Point mode)
Message 35 of 170
Highlighted
Luminary

With regards to the "hardware acceleration" referenced prior.

Yes, OEM manufacturers (like NETGEAR) typically have access to faster/optimized drivers. The OEMs typically pay for these drivers too. Hence the OEMs can at times can be "faster" versus say open source firmwares. The open source folks typically only have access to the "free" drivers which in general are not as optimized.

With that being said, the open source folks are EXTREMELY talented and usually fair quite well with the OEM drivers. The open source folks typically also pack a lot of extra "stuff" that really use your router.
RBK53 v2
Message 36 of 170
Highlighted
Apprentice

Hmmm... I had done a factory reset before & after flashing. Did you? Maybe that is why mine is off and yours is on?
Message 37 of 170
Highlighted
Luminary

I figured I would be asked that question Smiley Wink At the end of the day I have no explanation.

I did do a factory reset also. I was on .194 prior. Did a reset in .194 ... loaded .241 firmware ... did my settings ... power cycled router ... done.

The only other thing I can think of is perhaps the setting is dynamic as in if a certain group of settings are used, it gets turned on???

Or ... I do have an AC based laptop. Perhaps the router senses an AC based client, so it turns it on dynamically???

Your guess is as good as mine here.
RBK53 v2
Message 38 of 170
Highlighted
Luminary

Back to the optimized drivers ... again Smiley Wink

I have done throughput tests for both NETGEAR and DD-WRT.

I consistently get faster throughput, sometimes 3 times faster, when using NETGEAR firmwares. (Same location, same channels, same general configurations.)

In the last few builds though DD-WRT has specifically done some tweaking with regards to speed which I have not benched. DD-WRT however seems to have locked down the stability, so it really depends on what you are after. With DD-WRT you can "walk" all day. With NETGEAR, you can "sprint" for a bit, but may end up tripping over yourself.

With that being said, because I reserve my IP addresses and I do NOT use QoS, NETGEAR firmwares have been REALLY stable and hence I find I can also "sprint" all day.

For me, personally, I am going to stick with NETGEAR firmwares.
RBK53 v2
Message 39 of 170
Highlighted
Novice

I think what we need is a Merlin on the Netgear side to provide firmware with the best of both worlds. I think you are probably correct that maybe beamforming is now a auto feature, it turns on when it senses something that is compatible with it. Broadcom had always been junky with their chipsets since it's no comparison to Atheros or Agere/Lucent. For wired LAN, Intel has always been the best.
Message 40 of 170
Highlighted
Virtuoso

JohnNadeau wrote:
That's only if you're talking "internet" throughput. If you're talking about "Local Area Network" (LAN) Throughput, copying/streaming from computer/to/computer, then those speeds make a difference Smiley Happy

Yes, I believe that CTF is only used when going from WAN to LAN, it is not applicable within a LAN. I could be wrong, but I believe that is the way that it works.
Message 41 of 170
Highlighted
Apprentice

What does CTF stand for?
Message 42 of 170
Highlighted
Virtuoso

CTF is "cut through forwarding", which is the technical term for what's often referred to as hardware acceleration or HW acceleration. You can google it, lots of discussion about it on the internet. The Broadcom module for CTF is a proprietary binary module instead of a source module, that's licensed by OEM's, which is why it isn't available in dd-wrt or tomato firmware. The source for it is not part of the open source for routers.
Message 43 of 170
Highlighted
Virtuoso

theoak wrote:
Okay ... so I have 1.0.2.241_1.0.17 ... I went to "DebugHiddenPage.htm" and I generated a debug log ... for me ... it states "enable_implicit_beamforming=1".

I do NOT see the option in the interface; however, it appears to be on by "default".

Note that anyone using this beta release can turn this on:

nvram set enable_implicit_beamforming=1
nvram commit

You can, of course, do the "opposite" to turn it off it turns out to be a problem.
Message 44 of 170
Highlighted
Apprentice

RogerSC wrote:
Note that anyone using this beta release can turn this on:

nvram set enable_implicit_beamforming=1
nvram commit

You can, of course, do the "opposite" to turn it off it turns out to be a problem.

I would love to try that out ! In DD-WRT, they have a script page where you can run commands like that. Is there another hidden page in Netgear's Firmware to run those commands?
Message 45 of 170
Highlighted
Virtuoso

JohnNadeau wrote:
I would love to try that out ! In DD-WRT, they have a script page where you can run commands like that. Is there another hidden page in Netgear's Firmware to run those commands?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that you need to first enable telnet to the router via:

http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/10602/NETGEAR-Telnet-Enable-Utility/

After you enable telnet, you use a terminal emulator like putty using telnet to log into your router. It's easier with most routers where you just enable telnet into the router using a checkbox in the web interface, or where you have the ability to run commands on the router in the web interface.

Anyways, once you get logged onto your router using telnet, then you can look at nvram variables and change them if you know exactly what you're doing, being very careful. You can use "nvram get" or "nvram show | grep " to look at variables and "nvram set" to change their value. To make a setting change "permanent" so that it survives reboots, use "nvram commit". You can find the available "nvram" commands (and "wl" commands) on the internet.
Message 46 of 170
Highlighted
Tutor

Someone in AVS forums posting new beta firmwares for R7000 here http://www.avsforum.com/t/1493322/netgear-r7000-nighthawk-ac1900-router-review-and-comments-thread
Message 47 of 170
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I see many posts on these forums complaining about security e.g. ‘can’t change the admin user ID’, ‘why is there no https login’, ‘various ports are open on the WAN side’. Yet at the same time I see people, often out of frustration, very willing to install firmware that is provided on filesharing sites or e-mailed from some unknown individual. Installing ‘beta’ firmware that is not provided directly from Netgear is taking a significant risk, it is very easy for people with a little knowledge to modify firmware to do things like redirect all data via a proxy server where data can be processed and useful information extracted.
Message 48 of 170
Highlighted
Guide

Mars Mug wrote:
I see many posts on these forums complaining about security e.g. ‘can’t change the admin user ID’, ‘why is there no https login’, ‘various ports are open on the WAN side’. Yet at the same time I see people, often out of frustration, very willing to install firmware that is provided on filesharing sites or e-mailed from some unknown individual. Installing ‘beta’ firmware that is not provided directly from Netgear is taking a significant risk, it is very easy for people with a little knowledge to modify firmware to do things like redirect all data via a proxy server where data can be processed and useful information extracted.

I think those posts are just suggestions on to improve security, not necessarily complaints (I've always wanted the ability to rename the admin login on all devices, not just routers - knowing it is half the battle for hackers). At the same time, tech geeks like to play around with their toys, especially when those toys are released 1/2 baked, or partially broken. Your post seems to be in reference to the linked thread before it. Yet the guy posting claims to be an Netgear consultant, and his links are direct from netgear. I think he's doing us all a service. More people testing (as long as they are willing, and know the risks), and more people giving feedback (he's actually relaying info back to netgear), means a better product in a faster amount of time.

I personally pick routers that work well, and have the option to run DD-WRT and Tomato, as I usually install those firmwares on my router. The R7000 is the first router where I'm willing to leave the manufactures firmware on it, in hopes that it gets better and has the features I like to use. I look forward to the smart connect feature, if it ever comes out. I'm sure it will hit a beta firmware long before it does a release, so that's another reason to test betas, at least for me Smiley Tongue

Just my 2 cents, from someone who loves to play around with all his electronic devices Smiley Very Happy
Message 49 of 170
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Diverge,

My post was not in relation to post #47 (otherwise I would have made that clear), but is a general comment on the uncontrolled distribution of firmware and the risks that people might be taking without considering the possibility that firmware could be compromised.

If people can in some way be sure that the firmware that they have downloaded is genuine then I’m reasonably happy with that, but people who obtain firmware by for example sending a PM to other members posting here are taking a chance. There have been a couple of cases on these forums where compromised firmware was being offered, masquerading as a genuine release. Those threads / links / members are long gone, but I don’t think I’m exaggerating the potential risks.

I will still remove posts that offer to provide firmware on request where I cannot be sure that the offer is legitimate. As you can see I have not removed post #47, but looking at that thread it’s quite long and in a quick scan I only saw links to firmware from Netgear’s own file servers, I can’t see any great issues with that. I would have issues if a version of firmware was removed from the servers to then be distributed by people on the forums using the ‘PM me and I will send you a copy’ method.
Message 50 of 170
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements