Re: brand new R7000 issues connecting my laptop to R7000 wirelessly

Duster
Aspirant

brand new R7000 issues connecting my laptop to R7000 wirelessly

Chat conversation start
Hi, wondering if you can help or not. I purchased a NETGEAR R7000-100UKS Nighthawk . This was to be a replacement for my BT home Hub 4. which ive had no problems with for a year now.  I installed the router and connected to my BT modem without problems and got connected to the internet without problems. But when ever i try to connect my laptop (HP ENVY m6) I get lots of problems connecting wirelessly. The password is correct but as soon as i restart my lap top. the  internet access icon on my laptop refuses to come up now and it just wont connect quickly like it does for my BT Home Hub 4. sometimes it can take 5 or more mins for the internet access system on windows 10 to come up.. Before with Home hub it was just seconds. And even after i do get the  internet access system with the nighthawk installed my laptop seems unstable. Ive now gone back to my home hub and all seems fine again.  lastest firmware installed Please advise. Thanks

Message 1 of 7
VE6CGX
Master

What is the WiFi  card model in your laptop? Device manager will show. Are you using W10 driver?

Message 2 of 7
Duster
Aspirant

Hi, Thanks for reply. its called Ralink RT 3290 802.11 bgn Wi-fi adapter

Message 3 of 7
Duster
Aspirant

Im not sure if its a windows 10 driver or not. Ive tried looking for a newer driver without any luck so far

Message 4 of 7
VE6CGX
Master

Spent little time to look around regarding this Ralink card. Seems like lot of HP laptop users are having problems with it.  Make sure the driver is W10 compatible one and it is working(enabled) when you look up the device manager.  Also card property >> advanced, here make sure all items are properly checked.

Run inSSIDer or Acrylic to see if your laptop is seeing you SSID as well as your neighbo's WiFi signal.

Looks like this is the latest driver uninstall your driver and install this one after downloading it from here

http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads1/downloads/pcimpcicbrt2860rt2760rt2890/

Message 5 of 7
Duster
Aspirant

Thank you for finding that driver. Will give that a try. If i still have problems would a new wifi dongle be an  answer, if i turned off the onboard card first? Thanks again

Message 6 of 7
VE6CGX
Master

Hope that driver will work for you. Otherwise wait until Ralink provides W10 driver or try to use USB dongle.

I myself have one little older Netgear AC6200 on one of my older Dell work station. It works very well with

good speed. Again download and use latest driver from Netgear support. Good luck.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E