Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

c7000 usb port question

corvairbob
Tutor

c7000 usb port question

can someone tell me if the c7000-100nas modem router will let me put a hard drive that i have in a usb format into the usb port in back of the c7000 and then have it become a backup for my pc's on my c3700, that one did not like any hard drives connected to the usb port, nore did it like a thumb drive. i put 2 thumb drives in the c3700 usb port and that unit made the thumb drive unusable. so before i try this on the c7000 i figure i will ask to see if this might work. thanks
Message 1 of 7

Re: c7000 usb port question

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find all the documentation for your hardware.

You can find the model number on the label on the device.

Read up on ReadyShare.

Message 2 of 7
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

If you are connecting a hard drive, it should be ideally externally powered as USB ports have limited power in them on routers/modems and some hard drives need a lot more. 

also, some thing to remember that USB ports do not recognize some newer formats like exFAT, etc

Message 3 of 7
corvairbob
Tutor

thanks i had a c3700-100nas modem combo unit and that did not like thumb sticks, it distroied 2 of mine when i tried to use them for that usb back up port. so now i have the c7000-100nas unit and i do ot see what back up devices it likes if any.

i fifgure the unit will not like to power a hard drive but i do have one of those devices that you place a 2.5" h/d in and all it has is 1 cord the goes into the usb port. that works find on the pc so i'm wondering if the modem will take it. in the genie does not tell me what usb devices will work in that port.  

also how should the boxes be checked for the usb advanced storage area?

thanks

Message 4 of 7
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

what do you mean by "boxes to be checked" ?

Message 5 of 7
corvairbob
Tutor

look at the netgear gene go to advance then to setup and then wan look at what is there. 5 slections ans they have boxes that can be checked or not so what is the best way to do that. leave the bos open or checked for each one. i'm talking about the 2nd one down  boxes!!

so what it the proper way. the program cecks the 2nd one by default. if that is wrong then maybe the firmware is not correct? it seems to me when these things set themselves up by the default settings they lean for the best and most secure way. and the factory reset button and the factory reset in the program both check this box.  thanks

Message 6 of 7

@corvairbob wrote:

look at the netgear gene

Which one? Mobile? (Apple/Android) Desktop? (Windows/iMac)

@corvairbob wrote:

5 slections ans they have boxes that can be checked or not

What do those boxes say?

Of the various options I can see for ReadySHARE, there are just four options:

• Basic
  • ReadyCLOUD (Allows you to access ReadySHARE Storage from anywhere.)
  • ReadySHARE Printer
  • ReadySHARE Vault

If you are talking about attached USB, then Basic is the one to set up.

What is this USB device you want to use? Make? Model? Size?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7