Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

cannot remember security question answers

doylebl
Aspirant

cannot remember security question answers

I have tried to factory reset 8 times and it keeps asking the security questions everytime..no idea what to do next ?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

Re: cannot remember security question answers

There is a bug in Netgear's implementation of password recovery on some devices. You can get locked into a closed loop.

If password recovery is enabled, but you have not set the answers to the questions, it keeps sending you back to the beginning of the process. If you haven't already given the thing your personal answers, they are not in its memory and it has no way of knowing if they are correct.

If the standard factory password (password) does not work, then you will have to factory reset the thing to get back to that. Then either disable password recovery (check the manual for your device) or provide some answers to those questions.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Maybe you need a longer press on the reset button.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
doylebl
Aspirant

this is the Netgear Nighthawk XR500

Message 2 of 5
labatt
Mentor

How long did you hold the reset in? Just a poke does not do it. Hold for more like 10 seconds or until the lights start flashing. 

Message 3 of 5
doylebl
Aspirant

I've actually done it several times for 10 seconds and nothing...even tried 30 and that didn't work

Message 4 of 5

There is a bug in Netgear's implementation of password recovery on some devices. You can get locked into a closed loop.

If password recovery is enabled, but you have not set the answers to the questions, it keeps sending you back to the beginning of the process. If you haven't already given the thing your personal answers, they are not in its memory and it has no way of knowing if they are correct.

If the standard factory password (password) does not work, then you will have to factory reset the thing to get back to that. Then either disable password recovery (check the manual for your device) or provide some answers to those questions.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Maybe you need a longer press on the reset button.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7