Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

cant access router

bridamy
Tutor

cant access router

hey all. 

I cant get access to my routers page because the security question answers im giving dont match what the router says are the right responses.  I know the correct answers but its coming back as wrong. I tried resetting the router but thats still not working either. I dont remember changing the username from admin or the password from password.

any info would be great because im lost here and i cant get the firmware updated to get my smart plugs to work without access.

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: cant access router

Hi bridamy, 

How long did you press the reset button? Press and hold the reset button on the back of the router until the power led starts blinking orange. You should notice a click by pressing the reset button.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12

All Replies

@bridamy wrote:

I cant get access to my routers page because the security question answers im giving dont match what the router says are the right responses. 

What are you doing when this happens? How are you trying to get into the modem?

Did you actually set up password recovery?

There is a bug in some devices in Netgear's implementation of password recovery. You can get locked into a close loop.

If password recovery is enabled, but you have not set the answers to the questions, it keeps sending you back to the beginning of the process because you can't answer the questions.

If the standard factory password (password) does not work, then you will have to factory reset the thing to get back to that. Then either disable password recovery (check the manual for your device) or provide some answers to those questions.

Message 2 of 12
bridamy
Tutor

I'm initially on the admin password screen for the router and when I cant input the right username and password it takes me to the security question screen. That when it asked me 2 questions that I know the answer to but it doesn't accept them.

I tried the router reset on the back but the prompt still won't accept admin password as the login. is it all caps or a combination of the 2 or what. Also why didn't the reset work? lol this is making me mad
Message 3 of 12
schumaku
Guru

All lowercase .... admin password

Message 4 of 12
bridamy
Tutor

yep nothing
Message 5 of 12

Puzzling. The C7000 is a modem/router, I don't know if it would help to disconnect it from the internet and use a LAN connection to a PC with nothing else on the network.

You could also try the more severe reset:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

That works with standalone routers. Maybe also this hybrid modem-router.

You never did answer my question as to whether you set those security answers. Maybe you forgot if you did this.

Message 6 of 12
bridamy
Tutor

I dont recall setting those answers on the router. I do remember setting up the netgear website account info. I will try that harder reset.
Message 7 of 12

@bridamy wrote:
I dont recall setting those answers on the router.

The dreaded password recovery bug, see above.

Message 8 of 12
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi bridamy, 

How long did you press the reset button? Press and hold the reset button on the back of the router until the power led starts blinking orange. You should notice a click by pressing the reset button.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 9 of 12
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi bridamy, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 10 of 12
bridamy
Tutor

my apologies. I haven't tried the hard reset yet but I'm sure that will do it. if not I can open another thread. Thx to you all for responding and giving your input.
Message 11 of 12
bridamy
Tutor

great news guys. the hard reset did indeed work and I'm back in. Thx
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation