Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

cant rename devices

jdt_69
Aspirant

cant rename devices

when i click on any devices and edit it, i change the name and hit apply.  when it refreshes the screen, the object still stays the same as what it was before.  sometimes if i goto a different tab and come back and change it, it will work, but not that often. 

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
jdt_69
Aspirant

Re: cant rename devices

I figured it out. Instead of renaming the device completely, I just added to the name that it currently was and then I hit apply and then I went back and edited the name again and deleted the crap that I didn't want and it worked flawlessly every time for all devices.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 16

All Replies

@jdt_69 wrote:

when i click on any devices and edit it, i change the name and hit apply.

Where are you doing this?

Message 2 of 16
jdt_69
Aspirant

after i login to the router via a direct wire.  i goto attached devices and i select the device and change the name and hit apply.  it comes back with the same name it was before.  i even clicked on 'access control' and it gives a list of devices attached.  i do the same thing here and the same results.  i've rebooted.  i have no FW upgrade.  it seems a hit and miss but most of the time, it doesnt work. 

Message 3 of 16
jdt_69
Aspirant

Its a night hawk r7900p. It used to work before like 2 weeks ago. I can do it several times and it may take after the first try but sometimes after several tries and SomeTimes not at all.
Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 4 of 16
jdt_69
Aspirant

Alexas, pcs, laptops
Message 5 of 16
jdt_69
Aspirant

I used to be able to change it in the router before I reset it. And I can change it still but when I hit apply it just goes back to the way it was. It's definitely the software on the router but I don't know what to do at this point.
Message 6 of 16
JamesGL
Master

Hi jdt_69,

Try using a different web browser and see if that works. If not, factory reset the device and reconfigure it.

Message 7 of 16
jdt_69
Aspirant

I figured it out. Instead of renaming the device completely, I just added to the name that it currently was and then I hit apply and then I went back and edited the name again and deleted the crap that I didn't want and it worked flawlessly every time for all devices.
Message 8 of 16
jdt_69
Aspirant

this was the original name of the device
Message 9 of 16
jdt_69
Aspirant

Then i appended this and hit apply
Message 10 of 16
jdt_69
Aspirant

Then I went back and deleted the first part and hit apply and it stayed this way now.
Message 11 of 16
jdt_69
Aspirant

No
Message 12 of 16
calooch
Aspirant

Experiencing the same issue on the R8000P. Sometimes renaming works sometimes it doesn't.  Your fix of adding to the existing name and renaming a second time did not work for me.

Logging in everyday for a week since I got the router has allowed me to change most of the names thus far through a persistent hit or miss approach, but it would be nice to understand why.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 13 of 16
TerryPh
Virtuoso

---Case850 said "As I said before the correct and permanent way to change the name of a device is to do it on the device."---

And the router witl almost immediately reconized it if name change is done this way.

Message 14 of 16
calooch
Aspirant

Despite having names of "Christopher's Echo", "Christopher's Second Echo", "Echo Dot", and "Christopher's Fire TV Stick", the broadcast IDs were all different variations of amazonXXXX.  Perhaps I'm just missing another spot where I can rename it on the device, but I also can't figure out how to rename my older Vizio TV.  No big deal really, just annoying. 

Message 15 of 16
Killhippie
Prodigy

On the R7800 you could change the device name in the QoS window and in access control to a 'friendly name' it seems a few Nighthawk routers on current firmware are having isssues with this.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7