Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

cant see content from my NAS (R7800)

Snu
Aspirant
Aspirant

cant see content from my NAS (R7800)

Hello there.

Ive got a problem with my new router (Netgear R7800). Fist of all, on the previous router (Asus) everything worked correctly. All that has changed is the router itself.

Configuration:

1. Router R7800 (Firmware Version 1.0.2.28)

2. Eth - NAS Synology DS213

3. WiFi (5) - Panasonic VIERA TX-PR65VT50
4. WiFi (2,4) - Sony PS4
5. WiFi (2,4) - Pioneer BDP-160-K
6. WiFi (5) - Samsung UE40D7000

Problem:

The devices do not read content from the NAS. To the server is connected, the folder structure and the files themselves are visible.

What i tried (not help):

1. Connect any device on an Ethernet with a router.

2. Switch connection 2,4 and 5 HGz wifi.

3. Change router firmware.

The most funny thing, then on version 1.0.0.30 video content on PS4 and TV Samsung was read fine. Photos and audio are played normally on all devices.

I suspect that the whole thing is in the firmware. Can I have missed something?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions

Re: cant see content from my NAS (R7800)

A good old fashioned factory reset with a complete shutdown and reboot of your devices could help.

regards.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
Snu
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm really upset that none of the moderators did not respond to my request. I was entitled to support the company more efficiently.

Message 2 of 7
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @Snu

What's the IP address of the devices on your network? 

Do you see the NAS through its IP address?

What you may try to do is to map a folder using a computer and see if you will be able to play audio/video. 

By the way, are you getting any error whenever you try to play? 

You may also want to factory reset the router and reconfigure the settings manually. 

I just connected a NAS to the R7800 with the latest firmware and I could play videos no problem from a computer or from my smartphone. 

Message 3 of 7

A good old fashioned factory reset with a complete shutdown and reboot of your devices could help.

regards.

Message 4 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@Snu wrote:

Problem:

The devices do not read content from the NAS. To the server is connected, the folder structure and the files themselves are visible.

Interestingly, you talk about folder structure and files ... however, I doubt all your clients listed have (at least not by default) access to folders and files using a protocol like SMB (CIFS). I suspect you access the media on the Synology using DLNA (UPnP AV) as explained in How to enjoy multimedia contents stored on Synology NAS with DLNA/UPnP-compliant DMAs 

Before investigating more: Double and tripple chck all your device network interfaces ae set-up into the exact same TCP/IP subnetwork, with the very same subnet mask.

If this still does not help, and based on the information you mentioned that the earlier firmware on the router was fine ... reads like a (fat) bug to me. Have no R7800 at hand, so can't test. Somehow hard to imagine the SOAP HTTP communication to list the content (in whatever structure) does work, but the media ccess itself should fail. Do you have ie. a current Windows 10 systme on the same (W)LAN? You might try to discover the Syno DLNA from Windows Explorer (with the Network Discovery Services enabled, and the UPnP User Interface protocl loaded on the network interface) or just run the Windows Media Player and try to access it.

Note: In DLNA, there are no DMA - much more are DMR (Digital Media Renderer) and DMC (Digital Media Controller) typically indeed comind into one box, but you could use an external DMC ie. on a mobile App to select media from the DMS (Digital Media Server - your NAS).

-Kurt

Message 5 of 7
Snu
Aspirant
Aspirant

So, it was long and difficult, but finally figured out. I made a factory reset of all devices. Now everything works. All thanks for the advice!

Question for consideration: why when installing the router (with the rest of the equipment unchanged), there was such a failure?

Message 6 of 7

You are welcome.

""Question for consideration: why when installing the router (with the rest of the equipment unchanged), there was such a failure?""

The answer I can give you is that your previous equipment asigned IP address to your other gears, so when you switche from oldie to the R7800 the router tried to designate ip of its own on already registred IPs. So it's a messy situation.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7