century link and netgear compatibility.

BladeTurbo1973
Aspirant

century link and netgear compatibility.

HI, i would like to know what netgear models are compatibile with the century link network. i've used netgear in the past and would like to again. right now i am using the standard actiontec modem which really stinks. i was looking at the NETGEAR - AC1200 but wanted to know of any other models. if this model is compatible, please share your thoughts on performance.

Message 1 of 5
myersw
Master

Re: century link and netgear compatibility.

Any Netgear router should work. 

What are you going to be connecting to? 

Is it a modem and router or just modem?

If just a modem then the Netgear can connect to it without any issues other then configuration, of course.

If modem/router the proper configuration would be to have the modem in bridge mode and use the Netgear as the router. 

If it is a modem/router and, for some reason cannot be configured as a bridge then the proper Netgear configuration would be AP mode (Access Point mode). 

If you do not know what bridge means it means the router in the modem/router is bypassed.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 2 of 5
IrvSp
Master

@BladeTurbo1973 wrote:

please share your thoughts on performance.

What are you looking for? What is the number of devices you want to connect? What is the 'Speed' of said devices? How large and area do you need coverage for? What is the construction of the house.

Better yet, what performance are you expecting?

Message 3 of 5
BladeTurbo1973
Aspirant

HI, i was llooking for a netgear modem/router. i've searched high and low for just a modem, but could nit find a good model. i tried to attach a netgear router to my existing modem/router, but ran into problems disabling one router and using the other. i'm not very experienced with modes and routers, only know the bare minimum Smiley Happy. i'm sad to say my final decision did not involve netgear. it would be so much easier if i could choose my own isp rather than being forced to use century link (due to the area i live in). 

Message 4 of 5
BladeTurbo1973
Aspirant

Hi, its a medium size 2 story apartment. i have 5 or 6 devices that connect. i try to have the fewest number as possible. really what started me on this crusade was that i could not login into my router setup. i finaly managed to login after i unplugged the modem for 30secs. a majority of the time when i login into my setup, only 1/2 of the options are available or not at all until i reboot the modem.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E