Reply

Re: change IP address

dlav2001
Aspirant

change IP address

Okay. Lets see if I can explain this.

 

I just had Shaw come in and they upgraded my Internet Router to a newer one.. The IP address of the old Router was 192.168.0.1. The new Router is 10.0.0.1.    My Netgear Router I had set up in Router Mode cause I wanted to use it to trick some of my devices to think they were in the US.  Before my new shaw router was installed, everything worked.  Now my Printer will not print on any of my devices, My Hardwired printer is wired directly into a hub connected into my Shaw router. My old desktop will print to my printer, but nothing else will. My laptop will find the printer on 10.0.0.162 but it will not print to it.   Anyways.  when I log into my Netgear router, and go to "Connected devices" (and when I do an "Ipconfig" on my laptop, it tells me my IP address is 192.168.1.2 but my printer is at 10.0.0.162.   So I am assuming that is why my printer and my phone will not print to the printer. 

 

However My negtear IP address is: 10.0.0.74. But when I go to connected devices is still says I have my laptop and  3 other devices still at a 192,....... ip address.

 

So I guess the log story is, How do I chance those attached devices from 192..... to 10...... IP addresses. 

 

I have attached pictures. 

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
antinode
Guru

Re: change IP address

> [...] Lets see if I can explain this.

   It's not working very well for me.

> I just had Shaw come in and they upgraded my Internet Router to a
> newer one.. The IP address of the old Router was 192.168.0.1. The new
> Router is 10.0.0.1. [...]

   What is this new "my Internet Router", and how is it connected to
what?  Is there a separate modem involved?  (Connected to what?)

   A router has two IP addresses: LAN and WAN/Internet.  These seem to
be LAN IP addresses, but it's not entirely clear.

> [...] My Netgear Router I had set up in Router Mode cause I wanted to
> use it to trick some of my devices to think they were in the US.

   How is your "My Netgear Router" connected to what?  How, exactly,
do you "trick some of my devices [...]", and why is this necessary?  You
may need to explain this remark before it'll be possible to proceed.

> [...] Now my Printer will not print on any of my devices, [...]

   To what are thes devices connected, and what are the IP addresses of
these devices?

> [...] My laptop will find the printer on 10.0.0.162 [...]

   "find" how, exactly?  When your (unspecified) "My laptop" is
connected to what?

> [...] but it will not print to it. [...]

   What happens when it tries?  "will not" is not a useful problem
description.  It does not say what you did.  It does not say what
happened when you did it.  As usual, showing actual actions with their
actual results (error messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful
than vague descriptions or interpretations.  Or none at all.

> [...] My Hardwired printer is wired directly into a hub connected into
> my Shaw router. [...]

> when I log into my Netgear router, and go to "Connected devices" (and
> when I do an "Ipconfig" on my laptop, it tells me my IP address is
> 192.168.1.2 but my printer is at 10.0.0.162.

   You have cascaded two routers, so you have two LAN subnets;
apparently, "10.0.0.*" for the "my Shaw router" and devices connected to
it, and "192.168.1.*"for the "My Netgear Router" and devices connected
to it.

> [...] So I am assuming that is why my printer and my phone will not
> print to the printer.

   It's a big part of the problem.

> However My negtear IP address is: 10.0.0.74.

   What does "My negtear IP address" mean to you?  The attached picture
appears to show an R7000 with a WAN/Internet IP address of "10.0.0.1",
and a LAN IP address of "192.168.1.X" (where X is probably "1").

   Generally, dealing with multiple routers, hence multiple subnets, is
a headache.  It can be done, but it usually makes more sense to use one
router, perhaps with one or more additional wireless access points, if
needed/desired.  In some cases, an ISP-supplied gateway can be
configured as a modem-only (instead of as a modem+router), which should
allow the use of a user-supplied router as the (only) router.  But that
disables the wireless access point in the ISP-supplied gateway.  Without
knowing why you have two routers, it's hard to guess whether disabling
some feature(s) or other will matter to you.

Message 2 of 7
myersw
Master

Re: change IP address

I suspect the 192.x.x.x address devices have not renewed their DHCP lease yet and when they do they will then be correct. Have you tried power cycling the device or if wireless forgetting the wireless connection and reconnecting? Major changes like this need everything power cycled so that they get the correct new IP address. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 3 of 7

Re: change IP address


@dlav2001 wrote:

Okay. Lets see if I can explain this.

 

I just had Shaw come in and they upgraded my Internet Router to a newer one.. The IP address of the old Router was 192.168.0.1. The new Router is 10.0.0.1.    My Netgear Router I had set up in Router Mode cause I wanted to use it to trick some of my devices to think they were in the US.  Before my new shaw router was installed, everything worked.  Now my Printer will not print on any of my devices, My Hardwired printer is wired directly into a hub connected into my Shaw router. My old desktop will print to my printer, but nothing else will. My laptop will find the printer on 10.0.0.162 but it will not print to it.   Anyways.  when I log into my Netgear router, and go to "Connected devices" (and when I do an "Ipconfig" on my laptop, it tells me my IP address is 192.168.1.2 but my printer is at 10.0.0.162.   So I am assuming that is why my printer and my phone will not print to the printer. 

 

However My negtear IP address is: 10.0.0.74. But when I go to connected devices is still says I have my laptop and  3 other devices still at a 192,....... ip address.

 

So I guess the log story is, How do I chance those attached devices from 192..... to 10...... IP addresses. 

 

I have attached pictures. 


If I understand your description, its very simple.  If your netgear router detects another "router' on your network, it will change its default LAN IP designation from 192.168.0.1 (some devices FW use 192.168.1.1) to 10.0.0.1.  This is to keep you from experiencing set up issues or from mis-configuring your device.  

 

I'm wiling to bet shaw came in and connected everything up before properly configuring thier modem.  Once your router detected the other "router/modem" it changed its LAN IP scheme so as not to conflict.  You can easily confirm this by connecting a computer directly to your modem.  If it gets an IP (192.168.0.x) then you'll know why the LAN scheme on your Netgear router changed. 

 

The modem should not be performing DHCP.  It should be set in Bridge or PassThrough mode. << This is extremely important  Your netgear router should be performing these functions.  Start at the modem and correct the problems introduced when it was put in front of your router.  Then, you can change the LAN IP scheme back to the previous segment used by your connected devices (especially the printer).   

 

See my image below.  The red arrow is where you specify what your LAN/Gateway IP will be.  In my case 192.168.1.1.  This is found > Advanced tab > Setup (left hand pane) > LAN Setup.  Below that I have told my router to hand out IP address' from .100~.150.  This is very common and easy to correct.  After you change the LAN IP of your router, you will have to refresh your computer's IP address and log into the router using the new LAN IP.  

 

There is no right or wrong way here.  You can either change your IP scheme or refresh all of your devices so they start using the old or new DHCP scheme.  Some printers don't do well with this type of change and have to be reinstalled.  Or if it has an IP utility, you can use it to adjust the IP so your PC can "find" it again.  You want to connect your printer to your netgear router, not your modem.  I use a static IP on mine (192.168.1.99) which as you can see from my image is below the range of pool of IP's my router is handing out.  I also have this IP reserved by the printer's MAC address so a device can always find the printer and its IP address never changes.  Thats another discussion.  Let us know if you need more help. 

 

LAN.png  

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 4 of 7

Re: change IP address


@shadowsports wrote:

I'm wiling to bet shaw came in and connected everything up before properly configuring thier modem.  Once your router detected the other "router/modem" it changed its LAN IP scheme so as not to conflict.  You can easily confirm this by connecting a computer directly to your modem.  If it gets an IP (192.168.0.x) then you'll know why the LAN scheme on your Netgear router changed. 

 


Can I join you in that bet? That interpretation is in line with mine.

 

This is the important bit:

 


@shadowsports wrote:


Once your router detected the other "router/modem" it changed its LAN IP scheme so as not to conflict. 

 

What is this "new router"?

 

Do you still have any Netgear stuff in there?

 

There is a manual for the R6700 somewhere at the end of this link:

 

>>> R6700 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

 

I am surprised that the R6700 had an IP address 192.168.0.1. That is usually a modem/router thing. As the manual says, routers usually go for 192.168.1.1.

 

As @myersw says

 

"Major changes like this need everything power cycled so that they get the correct new IP address."

 

You also have to do things in the right order.


Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

  • Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 7
dlav2001
Aspirant

Re: change IP address

Sorry if I confused anyone.   

 

Looks like this may not be an issue with my netgear router.

 

I have unplugged my netgear router and turned it off so it does not exist on my home network. I have swapped my Shaw Router with another router thinking it is the router. 

 

So unfortunately my question is not regarding a netgear issue, but a network issue. 

 

So I installed and set up my new shaw router. Re-setup the router with a new network name so any old info won't conflict. 

 

I re-installed my Brother software for my printer. The software finds my Brother Printer at 10.0.0.162 and goes thru the setup fine. (although it first tells me to set up an IP address (10.0.0.162), Host Address (10.0.0.1) and Subnet gateway (255.255.255.0)) which I got, copy and pasted from my Shaw Router info.

 

Brother software then FINDS the printer and finishes setup with NO issues. Still wont print. (no errors given other than "Error Printing" in the Print job window for the printer)

 

When I go into the Shaw 10.0.0.1 and look under "Connected Devices", the printer shows up under "Offline" defices.  This is with the Printer Hardwired Directly into the Shaw Router. 

 

So how can it find the printer to set it up and find an IP address, but be offline after setup. 

 

I phoned Shaw and Brother and neither one can figure it out. 

Message 6 of 7

Re: change IP address

Hi,

Lets figure it out. 

 

Windows PC?

 

Command prompt...  >ipconfig /all

 

Whats the output?

 

Command prompt again...  >ping 10.0.0.162

 

does it reply?

 

If its showing off line, it might not reply.  Can you reset the printer to defaults?  Or at least ensure its ethernet settings match what your network is using?

 

10.0.0.x - "x" being the printers IP

255.255.255.0

10.0.0.1

 

Set it to use DHCP for now..  you can give it a static IP later if you like. 

 

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 13851 views
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E