Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: changing router password

changing router password

Please bear with me... I've never been here before and never tried to change the password to my router.

The only way I could get to the login window was to enter the IP address. After I enter the username ADMIN and password PASSWORD, I get this:

401 Unauthorized
Access to this resource is denied, your client has not supplied the correct authentication.
We can help you to recover the router’s admin password. Please complete the information below and click Continue.

I know the router password. What I need is to change it. Help! Please!

Thanks!!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
duckware
Prodigy

When you sign into the router (how are you doing that? web browser? to 192.168.1.1?), you should get an opening screen with internet and wireless status.  What do you see for "internet" status on the opening screen.  Is the status "GOOD", or something else?  Then under 'Wireless', do you see the SSID and password?  Then go to your phone, 'forget' the old connection, and setup a new connection using the SSID and password seen.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13

All Replies
duckware
Prodigy

lower case admin/password?

Message 2 of 13

Yes, all lowercase. When I try to access the router login page I’m told I’m not connected to the internet, which is crazy. I’m working from my laptop and I’m literally three feet from the router. I use the IP number to get access, enter admin and password, and I’m told I don’t have authorization to do anything. Ugh. It’s very frustrating.
Message 3 of 13

Question: if I hit the reset button on the router, will it knock everyone off? Will we have to re-enter the password to get back on? Because that’s what I’m aiming for. My neighbor is piggy backing off my WiFi and it’s slowing me way down. I want him off. He doesn’t know the password so he won’t be able to get back on.
Message 4 of 13

Question: if I hit the reset button on the router, will it knock everyone off? Will we have to re-enter the password to get back on? Because that’s what I’m aiming for. My neighbor is piggy backing off my WiFi and it’s slowing me way down. I want him off. He doesn’t know the password so he won’t be able to get back on.
Message 5 of 13
duckware
Prodigy

Pressing (and holding the button for about 10 seconds or so) the recessed button on the back of the router will 'factory reset' the router (as if you just took it out of the box).  Wi-Fi settings, passwords, etc 'should' all reset to the values you see on a sticker on the router (somewhere).  You will need to connect to the router (web browser; almost always http://192.168.1.1) and answer some basic questions to set the router back up.

Do you know if your ISP requires any special setup in the router to connect it to the ISP?  If not, you should be good to go.  But if so, have that information first.

Message 6 of 13
duckware
Prodigy

Just to be sure: Did you try different web browsers connecting to your router at 192.168.1.1?

Message 7 of 13

Yes, I tried from three different browsers... Chrome, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge.
Message 8 of 13

Thanks. I’m out of my element here and kind of floundering. When I originally set up the router it was a piece of cake - very easy. That’s basically what’s going to happen, right? It will be like setting up the router from new? And will it knock of and keep off anyone who doesn’t have the password?
I really appreciate all your help with this. I don’t like feeling so clueless and I hate being a pain. Thanks for your help.
Message 9 of 13
duckware
Prodigy

There are no guarantees, but yes, after factory resetting the router, pretend you just came home from the store and are setting up a brand new router.  The hope is another piece of cake.

As long as you configure the Wireless network name (SSID) and password to something no one else knows, that would knock everyone else off that router via Wi-Fi.  Then change the admin 'password' to something else to prevent someone with network access from making changes to the router.

Message 10 of 13

Oh boy. I reset the router and changed the password. Now I’m all messed up. My phone will not connect to WiFi even though my settings say I’m connected. This has become a huge headache and I can’t connect! Please! Can anyone help me?
Message 11 of 13
duckware
Prodigy

When you sign into the router (how are you doing that? web browser? to 192.168.1.1?), you should get an opening screen with internet and wireless status.  What do you see for "internet" status on the opening screen.  Is the status "GOOD", or something else?  Then under 'Wireless', do you see the SSID and password?  Then go to your phone, 'forget' the old connection, and setup a new connection using the SSID and password seen.

Message 12 of 13

Thank you, duckware, for all your help! I finally was able to change the password. When I reset the router, it had me update the system and everything was good from there. I don’t think I could have gotten here without your help. You’re my hero!
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7