× Some paid Circle Parental controls customers may be showing free options only. Router firmware correcting this issue will be available ASAP. Visit Status.NETGEAR.com for updates.

Discussion stats
  • 37 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Tutor

comcast new internet tier !

comcast just rolled out a new tier Extreme 105 105Mbps down
20Mbps up 89.95/12 mths
Rock and roll !! 114.00 after
HW-E i7-5930K

MSI X99S GAMING 7

Corsair H110

16GB(4X4GB) GSKILL RIPJAWS4 DDR4 2400

Coolermaster silent pro1000 PS

PowerColor PCS+ R9 290 4GB GDDR5

BenQ XL2720Z

2 Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB ssd Raid0 for OS

corsair 800D

Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Logitech Z-5500

Windows 8.1 x64 mce

netgear r7000

V1.0.4.4_1.1.37
Message 1 of 38
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: comcast new internet tier !

I had that for 6 months and yes it rocks. What does it do for you that the 50DL and 10UL didn't do.

What I mean other than watching speed test could you actually tell a big difference? I couldn't in my daily use so I dropped back to 50.

Thanks
Message 2 of 38
Highlighted
Tutor

well with 3 boys(18,19,25) and 5 PCs can you guess,lol
not to mention my wife
I'm not a big fan of qos,so the more bandwidth the merrier
HW-E i7-5930K

MSI X99S GAMING 7

Corsair H110

BenQ XL2720Z

corsair 800D

Windows 8.1 x64 mce

netgear r7000

V1.0.4.4_1.1.37
Message 3 of 38
Highlighted
Virtuoso

That's great...I'm on Comcast "blast" here, only 25Mbps, "performance" is 16mbps. They keep promising to raise that, latest promise is this summer, but I stopped believing them when they told me that last year and nothing was delivered. With 3 adults here with different tastes in music and movies, it can get pretty sketchy occasionally. 50Mbps would be fine, though...Good luck to us *smile*.

Good thing that Comcast doesn't have any competition here at these speeds. Although I could get DSL at .768Mbps from AT&T. I used to have DSL at 3Mbps five years ago here, so I was hoping that they might have gone up to 6Mbps, but last time I looked, .768Mbps was the highest I could get. Somehow I've gotten further from the closest node *smile*. .768Mbps would be a thrill, not enough to stream video at all *smiile*.
Message 4 of 38
Highlighted
Luminary

Message 5 of 38
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Jim769 wrote:
Dont pay for any higher speeds with comcast right now you may be upgraded for free. See the links below.

Yep, that's what I'm hoping for. I'm paying an extra $5/month for the next year to get 25Mbps instead of 16Mbps, but that's as far as I'm going at the moment. The extra $5/month should be buying us 50Mbps, and Comcast says that it will, some day *smile*. So I'm not going to make Comcast any richer by paying more than I'm paying now and getting less than everyone else (in other areas) for it. I was dubious about going up to 25Mbps at $10/month, but $5/month is okay, I guess.

Of course, in 12 months I'll be having my usual struggle with Comcast. I hate those guys, I just want to pay a fair price that gives them a fair profit and me the services that I need. But no, I've got to go through the car buying grind down every 6 months or year. Really hate it.
Message 6 of 38
Highlighted
Tutor

my bill only went up 20.00 mth anyway so to go from 50/10 to 305/30 is fun fun fun
HW-E i7-5930K

MSI X99S GAMING 7

Corsair H110

BenQ XL2720Z

corsair 800D

Windows 8.1 x64 mce

netgear r7000

V1.0.4.4_1.1.37
Message 7 of 38
Highlighted
Novice

RogerSC wrote:
... Although I could get DSL at .768Mbps from AT&T. I used to have DSL at 3Mbps five years ago here...

When I first read the post, I thought you meant 7.68Mbps as there is no way it can be 768Mbps.. LOL. so basically they are taking you back to pre-2000 standards when it was a 384K-1.5Mbps connection.... What ISP did you use for DSL 5 years ago? Were you connected to the CO or were you connected to a Remote Terminal? Perhaps, they alienated the RT and moved it to Salinas! *smile*
Message 8 of 38
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Almighty1 wrote:
When I first read the post, I thought you meant 7.68Mbps as there is no way it can be 768Mbps.. LOL. so basically they are taking you back to pre-2000 standards when it was a 384K-1.5Mbps connection.... What ISP did you use for DSL 5 years ago?

Oh man, don't get me started...I had DSL originally with SBC/PacBell, that was then acquired by AT&T after I went over to Comcast, I think...I don't know what SBC/PacBell had me connected to, but I went from 3Mbps to 12Mbps with Comcast, that was great. Then the Comcast speed started dropping off where I live over a period of time, and was down to 1-2Mbps starting in the late afternoon, and going through the evening...I assume it was all the cord-cutters streaming away all night instead of watching cable TV, but at any rate, my speed dropped for some time, bottomed out, stayed that way for 6 months or so, and then they finally added more equipment on this side of town. And now we're finally up to 1/2 of where everyone else is. Whoopee! Who knows when they'll put in the next installment of equipment so that we can catch up to where everyone else was 2 years ago *smile*?

Comcast can do whatever they want here, though, no broadband competition at all, and that .768Mbps (sounds bigger when you say 768Kbps, I suppose) has really got me drooling. Can't wait to switch to that. So I'll stay with Comcast, no second choice, and be subject to their not giving a darn about us, as long as we pay our bills.
Message 9 of 38
Highlighted
Novice

Actually, it was SBC (Southwestern Bell Corpoation) buying AT&T and renaming themselves to AT&T. For some reason, I thought you were using cruizio.com. Wow, only 1/2 of where everyone else is? yikes! You probably have to hit someone at Comcast with a digital fiber cable in order to get things to the current standards! *smile* I think with Comcast, it's basically if you are able to get to the correct people because when I had Comcast, even with cable problems that usually get ignored, I was able to get their managers involved and basically they told me to call them directly when there were problems and they would have the foreman sent out and made sure everything was replaced and even provided all sorts of credits.
Message 10 of 38
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Yeah, when they sent out the techs, I got the real story, by and large. The manager kept to the company line on the phone, telling me that there must be something wrong at my house. So they sent techs out that had their arms around the real situation and were willing to talk about it. The management level was not forthcoming at all about capacity problems, etc.

They did give me their degraded blast level for 6 months for free as compensation. Which was fine, since by that time the speeds were back to normal for here...1/2 of everywhere else *smlle*. But that's life...when I take my daily walk by the ocean, I'm thankful for where I live. Being only 1/2 a block from the ocean does have its compensations *smile*. Somewhat makes up for getting screwed by Comcast and Verizon *sigh*.
Message 11 of 38
Highlighted
Novice

Interesting, I always thought SC was AT&T/formerly PacBell territory and not Verizon. Maybe the reason for the reduce bandwidth is because the people at the beach boardwalk is holding it for hostage! *smile*
Message 12 of 38
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I tend to group Comcast and Verizon together as businesses, because in this area both are unregulated, have too little effective competition, and can act like monopolies in their different businesses. Neither invests as much here as they do elsewhere, where they have to compete, improving infrastructure, why should they? It doesn't affect their businesses, they get customers anyways, so why should they take money off the bottom line to improve services for their customers? So we pay as much as customers anywhere, and get worse services. Sounds fair to me *smile*.
Message 13 of 38
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If you don't hold them accountable to meet their advertised numbers then shame on you. No different than not counting your change at the supermarket. I fully understand what a pain in the a$$ it is to deal with them. You have to complain until they meet their obligation and keep going up the food chain. The names and e-mail contact information is available for each division VP's. If your area was acquired by Comcast it does take awhile for them to upgrade those networks. Just a note about rate increases, unlike other service providers when rates go up they at least try to improve the value of their services. Perfect example of this is the faster speeds which with the latest will be the 3rd time for the Chicago region.
Message 14 of 38
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Not that Comcast is buying out Time warner that would be more interesting in the market...
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 15 of 38
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Yes, now they'll be able to do what they're doing to us to more people. If they can eliminate all their competition, watch out! I'm hoping that the merger is not allowed...
Message 16 of 38
Highlighted
Virtuoso

searay wrote:
If you don't hold them accountable to meet their advertised numbers then shame on you. No different than not counting your change at the supermarket. I fully understand what a pain in the a$$ it is to deal with them..

Yes, this area was acquired by Comcast 5-10 years ago (don't remember exactly when, long time ago), so they don't have that excuse.

They have an out, their rate schedule says that their blast level is 50Mbps except where it isn't (that's not quite how they put it, but almost). We're in an area where it isn't, and I get a solid 25Mbps (actually 28.8Mbps *smile*) download, so I'm not allowed to complain since I accepted their terms when I agreed to use their services. And I'm getting their rated service (the "it isn't" service level), so we're all good here *smile*.
Message 17 of 38
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You do have a docis 3.0 modem?
Message 18 of 38
Highlighted
Virtuoso

If you're asking me, yep, DOCSIS 3 and supports IPv6. It's an Arris TM722G, and has been very solid.
Message 19 of 38
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Have you logged into it and looked at the status page. How many upstreams does it show and are they all 16 QAM or do you see any 64 QAM?
Message 20 of 38
Highlighted
Virtuoso

RogerSC wrote:
Yes, now they'll be able to do what they're doing to us to more people. If they can eliminate all their competition, watch out! I'm hoping that the merger is not allowed...

Hard to be believe FCC will do this.. In my area Insight BB (cable service ) got purchased by TW last year and price went up and people left to ATT DSL.

Now another merger? Seems bit crazy...
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 21 of 38
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Yeah, these mergers are good for the businesses that merge, not for the consumer. Whenever I hear "deregulation" I run for cover *smile*. Never good for me.
Message 22 of 38
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have had Comcast for quite a long time and they rolled the 105 MB extreme about a year ago here. I did see a significant difference in my house. I have 23 pieces of equipment on my network when everyone is home. I get up to 35-40 when the kids throw a lan party and play league of legends. So when I installed the R7000 over my dying Asus RT-ac66u. The download on the 2.4 network went from 40ish MB to 74 MB.I have even seen one of the 2.4 computers pull 105 MB down. So the increase of speed for them is by far the best advantage.
Message 23 of 38
Highlighted
Luminary

Roger are you paying for Blast 50/10 ?? I am asking because you mentioned you are getting 28 mbps that speed is there performance tier it is 25/5 but most get 28/6. If you are paying for blast then your boot speed file on your modem is not correct. All areas now blast is 50/10
Message 24 of 38
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

For a service which is available most of time 24/7 it's really not a bad deal. There are alternatives which are cheaper and so is the product.

I would love to drive a Lotus but those rat ___tards charge too much for one.
Message 25 of 38