etwelper32
Aspirant

computer won't connect to router

I've had my nighthawk r6700 router for about a year now, and just got my first problem today. All of my devices in my home connect to my router perfectly, except for my windows 10 laptop computer. The laptop had connected before, in the past year the whole time, but not now. It just says checking network connection and then can't connect to this network. I restarted my laptop and router both several times. I tried forgetting my network on my laptop and trying to reconnect. I also did the network reset on my laptop which uninstalled and reinstalled all of my network drivers. I even factory reset my router and set it up again, and it still doesn't work. I'm not sure why all of a sudden my computer has decided to not work with my network.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
antinode
Guru

Re: computer won't connect to router

> [...] I'm not sure why all of a sudden my computer has decided to not
> work with my network.

What have you done to verify that your (unspecified) "my windows 10
laptop computer" can connect to any other wireless router?

> [...] All of my devices in my home connect to my router perfectly,
> except for my windows 10 laptop computer. [...]

A defective "my windows 10 laptop computer" would seem to explain
that symptom more easily than a router problem would.

Message 2 of 5
etwelper32
Aspirant

I was able to connect it to my phone's mobile hotspot.
Message 3 of 5
xLeChado
Aspirant

I am having this same. exact. issue.  I went a step further and even connected to my neighbors wifi and loaded a youtube video with their permission.  If I stay connected long enough to my own wifi eventually I can try to load a webpage with success for a very brief period.  I have chalked it up to my router.  I went crazy for over a month trying to figure it out (and still am)

I have changed every setting under the sun, factory reset router, reinstalled drivers, got new drivers, disassembled and reassembled my laptop.  

I feel as though my router isnt compatable with the PC or something, it makes no sense.  My router is not blocking the device, my firewall is not stopping me to my knowledge, in fact, I uninstalled that too just to be sure!

I am tired of being wired and stuck in the most uncomfortable room in the house!  driving me mad!!!

Have you found a fix yourself?

Message 4 of 5
etwelper32
Aspirant

When I started having problems, my router had personalized settings. I had changed the SSID and password, started QoS, and personalized it in every way. I factory reset it and changed my settings to the way they were, and nothing happened. But, my friend suggested I use default settings. So I did, and to my surprise in started working on my computer. I didn't change anything, kept everything the same and it connected to my computer. I found it intriguing that my router still broadcasts my old SSID, along with the default SSID. The fake SSID doesn't work at all, but it still shows up as an optional network. I don't know why this is, but something was just wrong with my old SSID and my router. But it works now for me using default settings.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements