configure AD at home with DDNS

Voelfgar
Aspirant

configure AD at home with DDNS

I am trying to figure out how to setup/configure an Active Directory network on my home network. I have the Netgear R7000 (Nighthawk) and I have Dynamic DNS enabled and I have an URL that currently goes to the router when entered into a browser.

What I'm trying to do is setup an AD network in order to install MS Dynamics CRM, which requires AD as a prereq, in an internet facing deployment configuration to include setting up an Exchange Server. I'm doing this for professional development. I have a Premium MSDN subscription so I have access to pretty much any Microsoft application or OS. Just for CRM, I will have 6 servers running under Hyper-V, a Domain Controller, App Server, Database Server, Exchange Server and 2 Web Servers.

I am by no means a network guru but I do understand the basics of AD.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Message 1 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: configure AD at home with DDNS

You would use R700 as gateway
Assuming DHCP is done on AD and you have setup DNS server
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 9
Voelfgar
Aspirant

Was planning to use the Netgear router for DHCP as not all devices will be part of AD.
Message 3 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Are you using AD for DNS?
Message 4 of 9
fordem
Mentor

First, if you don't use the domain controller as the DNS server, you're going to have trouble joining hosts to the domain - you can expect to see messages saying "no domain controller found" or words to that effect - you may be able to get around it if you can create the necessary entries in the DNS server, but I've never taken the time to figure that out. Second, if you don't use the domain controller as your DHCP server, you're going to need a DHCP server that allows you to set the DNS server options, which I don't think the router allows. Simply put, running AD and not using the domain controller to provide DNS & DHCP services is a challenge. Voelfgar - you can have systems on the network getting their addresses by DHCP from the domain controller without being part of the AD domain - you will need to have the domain controller available at all times to act as a DHCP & DNS server.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 5 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yeah, that's exactly where I was going with my question.

If he's expecting the router to be the DHCP server and still use AD for DNS, I think he's going to have issues. In order for the router to pass the AD DNS server to clients via DHCP, you'd have to set the router's DNS addresses to the internal AD DC. At that point, all DNS requests would be proxies to the AD server and if the AD server doesn't know where to send them, the public internet simply won't work.
Message 6 of 9
Voelfgar
Aspirant

Thanks everyone for your insight.

I wasn't aware that the Win DHCP Server could handle devices that are not members of the AD domain. It looks like that is the best way to go about it.

My ultimate goal is to enter an URL in a browser with a subdomain of my netgear Dynamic DNS url, xxxxx.mynetgear.com and have it redirected to a web server in my AD network.

So I don't know if I should use DNS and port forwarding on the router or should I do it with the DNS server
Message 7 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Should setup all on AD -DHCP, DNS server
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 9
fordem
Mentor

Voelfgar wrote:
Thanks everyone for your insight. I wasn't aware that the Win DHCP Server could handle devices that are not members of the AD domain. It looks like that is the best way to go about it. My ultimate goal is to enter an URL in a browser with a subdomain of my netgear Dynamic DNS url, xxxxx.mynetgear.com and have it redirected to a web server in my AD network. So I don't know if I should use DNS and port forwarding on the router or should I do it with the DNS server
I get the impression you're not as familiar with the basics of AD as you think you are - you're also not paying attention to what you're being told. I suspect there may be some confusion between AD domains and domain names. Using DNS on the router is NOT an option - for AD to work the AD domain controller MUST be the primary DNS server on the domain (try running DCPROMO and see what happens) and if you want the webserver accessible from outside the network, then port forwarding MUST be used - if the webserver is only to be accessed from within the domain, the web server host name can be configured on the AD DNS server and no Dynamic DNS will be required.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E